Your opinion of gig presales?

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

andy8000

Your opinion of gig presales?

Post by andy8000 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Probably not missed a West Mids gig in a decade or so now. Never had a problem getting tickets. Now I know presales encourage people to by cds, merch etc to get a code to buy tickets early. After today I have to question the validity of them. I know they are no guarantee of getting tickets but not being able to purchase them after a few seconds (Birmingham) would suggest very few are actually ever available. Surely after a certain amount of people have applied for the code by buying merch the promotion should be stopped as there is no chance of tickets for many if it continues. I know there is still the chance to buy in the scrum on Friday. Hopefully. What do you feel about the whole presale idea? Feels like a bit of a scam to me. Now if it were possible to earn 'loyalty' points......
Birmingham Coventry Wolverhampton Manchester Leicester Frome Wembley. Most in multiple, lost count. :roll:

Evan

Re: Your opinion of gig presales?

Post by Evan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:50 pm

No purchase necessary to get the pre-sale code.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

andy8000

Post by andy8000 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Evan, I do now realise this is one of those 'no purchase neccesary' hidden in the small print promotions, and if that is the case why have them at all. It is to encourage people to spend money ultimately, there would be no point otherwise. This is in no way at all a criticism of Frank, please don't think that, it is a complaint about yet another way tickets are misssold. It's bad enough all the spurious charges that are added on (4 on my last ones) because they know people will pay, even when you print your own tickets! Presales to me when hardly any tickets are available are another hit for the punter. As an artist, who I know holds 'fairness' very high and does not like to see people downtrodden by the establishment i would be glad to here his opinion.
Birmingham Coventry Wolverhampton Manchester Leicester Frome Wembley. Most in multiple, lost count. :roll:

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:05 am

Unfortunately, there was a snafu this time, and it didn’t work out so well for some of us in the US. Those of us that preordered the album the day Frank announced it (prior to the tour announcement), didn’t get the proper presale code sent to us. We were sent the UK one, and some couldn’t get it sorted in time. Normally wouldn’t really matter, but with seated venues, definitely wanted the earliest opportunity. That said, I’m excited for the tickets I got, and am really looking forward to this tour!
Last edited by darlenet. on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
shows? 90 so far...

northernlights

Post by northernlights » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 am

Depends on the venue as well. I had the UK code but got it sorted in time to get Toronto tickets and they are still available but the Montreal presale is closed.

I'll just have to be fast on Friday morning to get Montreal tickets.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:31 am

andy8000 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 pm
Evan, I do now realise this is one of those 'no purchase neccesary' hidden in the small print promotions, and if that is the case why have them at all. It is to encourage people to spend money ultimately, there would be no point otherwise. This is in no way at all a criticism of Frank, please don't think that, it is a complaint about yet another way tickets are misssold. It's bad enough all the spurious charges that are added on (4 on my last ones) because they know people will pay, even when you print your own tickets! Presales to me when hardly any tickets are available are another hit for the punter. As an artist, who I know holds 'fairness' very high and does not like to see people downtrodden by the establishment i would be glad to here his opinion.
I do not disagree with you. And yes, of course this is a way to shift more units. No one buys music anymore. Many people need an incentive like this to do so, and this is a tried and tested model that record companies employ as a means of recouping some of their costs. This is not a defensive of the practice because I do not think it is perfect, but it's the reality we live in. I would also suggest (without actually knowing I hasten to add - this is just my opinion) that Frank (or any other artist for that matter) would have very little say in this as it will be part of their contractural obligations.

In my opinion, pre-sales are a second bite at the apple. There is no guarantee of tickets, just like there isn't any for general sale either. It's luck of the draw. Especially for shows like this where there is clearly only going to be a limited number of tickets available as these are venues he will easily sell out. I understand what you are saying, and understand your frustration completely. But I guess I see it as a necessary evil to survive in a modern music industry.

Also worth mentioning as a side note that I think the way ticket agencies do business is dubious at best, criminal at worst.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

andy8000

Post by andy8000 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:17 am

Have to agree with many of those points Evan. I feel sorry for many of the artists that have to work in this money making corrupt business.

suitcaselife

Post by suitcaselife » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:55 am

darlenet. wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:05 am
Unfortunately, there was a snafu this time, and it didn’t work out so well for some of us in the US. Those of us that preordered the album the day Frank announced it (prior to the tour announcement), didn’t get the proper presale code sent to us. We were sent the UK one, and some couldn’t get it sorted in time. Normally wouldn’t really matter, but with seated venues, definitely wanted the earliest opportunity. That said, I’m excited for the tickets I got, and am really looking forward to this tour!
Tbf that's exactly the reason why I did enter three of my mail addresses on that website, even tho I already did purchase the vinyl from the official shop. I just didn't trust the system to take all the mail addresses from the orders into the then newly founded presale mailout list. Never trust any system, always try to double check all the possibilities.
95 gigs in 21 countries...
moving, keep moving - the tour never stops.

Twitter/Instagram: @MySuitcaseLife

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 am

suitcaselife wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:55 am
Tbf that's exactly the reason why I did enter three of my mail addresses on that website, even tho I already did purchase the vinyl from the official shop. I just didn't trust the system to take all the mail addresses from the orders into the then newly founded presale mailout list. Never trust any system, always try to double check all the possibilities.
You are a pro!!! Great advice!
shows? 90 so far...

suitcaselife

Post by suitcaselife » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:24 am

darlenet. wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 am
suitcaselife wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:55 am
You are a pro!!! Great advice!
Didn't help me to get London tickets tho,... will try it again today. Ah, the FOMO is real :roll: :lol: :lol:
95 gigs in 21 countries...
moving, keep moving - the tour never stops.

Twitter/Instagram: @MySuitcaseLife

andy8000

Post by andy8000 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:20 am

Unbelievable. Hit the buy ticket as soon as they went live and tried every price. All gone
I don't believe ANYONE could have got on quicker. This stinks.

andy8000

Post by andy8000 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:32 am

Yayyyyyyy!!!! Picked up 2 direct from symphony hall!!!

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Presale for Southampton went in 30 Seconds.

I was busy today (Friday) till 11.20 but there were still tickets available.

Looking forward to seeing a seated show.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

northernlights

Post by northernlights » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 pm

If I didn't know better I would think this was a Springsteen forum. I feel for the UK fans, been there many times shut out for Springsteen tickets less than a minute after the on sale starts. Fortunately Frank doesn't sell out that quickly in Canada. Got Toronto on the pre sale and Montreal on the on sale.

One suggestion, have only one pre sale instead of separate codes for euro and North America. Wouldn't have helped people get tickets but would have eliminated the snafu for North American fans who pre ordered from the UK store when the album was initially announced.