Evan

Re: frank vinyl

Post by Evan » Mon May 02, 2016 8:37 am

smartiepants wrote:
Evan wrote:
smartiepants wrote:import copy of LI&S
What colour is it?
Just standard black, got red on my discogs want list

Fair enough. I presume it's the Epitaph version in that case - you can tell by the spine. Just as a matter of interest - how much did you pay for it (if you don't mind saying)? There was 1000 of those I believe. The XMR version (also black) was a much better quality pressing (Epitaph vinyl is clearly done on the cheap, as everything I have from them is a bit low quality both record and sleeve wise). XMR was also a run of 1000, although a significant (and unknown) quantity were destroyed in the Sony warehouse fire during the London riots, so it's a bit more rare, and in my opinion the definitive pressing available.

I am hoping that XMR will repress all the old albums on vinyl, in the style we've just done EKMB (ie: Gatefold, 180g vinyl, high quality sleeve).
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

smartiepants

Post by smartiepants » Mon May 02, 2016 10:24 am

Evan wrote: Fair enough. I presume it's the Epitaph version in that case - you can tell by the spine. Just as a matter of interest - how much did you pay for it (if you don't mind saying)? There was 1000 of those I believe. The XMR version (also black) was a much better quality pressing (Epitaph vinyl is clearly done on the cheap, as everything I have from them is a bit low quality both record and sleeve wise). XMR was also a run of 1000, although a significant (and unknown) quantity were destroyed in the Sony warehouse fire during the London riots, so it's a bit more rare, and in my opinion the definitive pressing available.

I am hoping that XMR will repress all the old albums on vinyl, in the style we've just done EKMB (ie: Gatefold, 180g vinyl, high quality sleeve).
I paid £22 and it is the epitaph pressing and agree it's a rubbish pressing done on the cheap, never been so disappointed in a pressing, there are marks all over it and it pops and ticks from the start even when cleaned on my record cleaning machine, it was so bad I ordered another copy off Amazon £25ish just opened it and the marks on the surface appears to be in exactly the same place, I will play it to see if it sounds any better but either way it's going back so not happy
Last edited by smartiepants on Mon May 02, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Towns & Cities:: Cambridge: Northampton: Hatfield: London: Portsmouth: Leicester: Brighton: Dublin, Norwich, Rock City Nottingham for gig 2000 & FTLE I,2 ,3 & all booked for 4

smartiepants

Post by smartiepants » Mon May 02, 2016 10:32 am

Unless I'm mistaken discogs do not list a XMR pressing they're all US pressings on there so may have a job finding one so here's hoping for a repress as EKMB is a treat
Towns & Cities:: Cambridge: Northampton: Hatfield: London: Portsmouth: Leicester: Brighton: Dublin, Norwich, Rock City Nottingham for gig 2000 & FTLE I,2 ,3 & all booked for 4

Evan

Post by Evan » Mon May 02, 2016 11:17 am

smartiepants wrote:Unless I'm mistaken discogs do not list a XMR pressing they're all US pressings on there so may have a job finding one so here's hoping for a repress as EKMB is a treat
This the XMR version: https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Turner-Lo ... se/2729137 It's a tough one to get hold of. People want the coloured versions, but don't realise this is the best one.

You are correct about the quality of the pressing. I have been complaining bitterly about it for years. For me, anything pressed by Epitaph tends to lose sound quality as you get to the end of a side, and on one record I have the last song on side two is almost unlistenable (I got it free, so can't complain too much, but it pisses me off none the less). I haven't played my Epitaph versions of any of Frank's records in years, but I know they sound rubbish.

The new EKMB sounds excellent, as they updated the mechanical bits instead of using the previous plates (I don't fully understand the process if I am honest, but the whole point was to release a much higher quality record so it was all redone for this pressing). I really REALLY hope they all get done, starting with LIS. But I have zero influence over these things
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

smartiepants

Post by smartiepants » Mon May 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Evan wrote:
smartiepants wrote:Unless I'm mistaken discogs do not list a XMR pressing they're all US pressings on there so may have a job finding one so here's hoping for a repress as EKMB is a treat
This the XMR version: https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Turner-Lo ... se/2729137 It's a tough one to get hold of. People want the coloured versions, but don't realise this is the best one.

You are correct about the quality of the pressing. I have been complaining bitterly about it for years. For me, anything pressed by Epitaph tends to lose sound quality as you get to the end of a side, and on one record I have the last song on side two is almost unlistenable (I got it free, so can't complain too much, but it pisses me off none the less). I haven't played my Epitaph versions of any of Frank's records in years, but I know they sound rubbish.

The new EKMB sounds excellent, as they updated the mechanical bits instead of using the previous plates (I don't fully understand the process if I am honest, but the whole point was to release a much higher quality record so it was all redone for this pressing). I really REALLY hope they all get done, starting with LIS. But I have zero influence over these things
Thanks for the heads up its on my wanted list so will keep an eye out, can't believe the lack of quality control, its either a fault on the plates or something on them as it's in exactly the same place on both, they must get loads of returns, problem is that it's a 70 mile round trip to take mine back to the record shop, the Amazon one will go straight back in the post so will prob keep one copy

blastman

Post by blastman » Wed May 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Firstly, I just wanted to add my thanks to Evan for a great job on the EKMB re-issue, it's lovely and the vinyl has some proper heft at last. I could sneeze through the Epitaph vinyls!

Secondly, I managed to go from not getting any copies at all on the day to accidentally ending up with two copies of the UK version of the Positive Songs Acoustic RSD release two weeks later. Because I'm a vinyl saddo, I was wondering would anyone be willing to do a straight swap for the US version?

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed May 18, 2016 3:27 pm

blastman wrote:Firstly, I just wanted to add my thanks to Evan for a great job on the EKMB re-issue, it's lovely and the vinyl has some proper heft at last. I could sneeze through the Epitaph vinyls!

Secondly, I managed to go from not getting any copies at all on the day to accidentally ending up with two copies of the UK version of the Positive Songs Acoustic RSD release two weeks later. Because I'm a vinyl saddo, I was wondering would anyone be willing to do a straight swap for the US version?

Very nice of you to say.

And shit...I forgot all about that acoustic thing...oops. Nevermind.

blastman

Post by blastman » Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 am

If I don't get a taker for the swap, you're welcome to have it. Not much point in keeping two of them.

Evan

Post by Evan » Sat May 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Toying with selling one of my Reasons Not To Be An Idiot 7"s after seeing that the last one on Discogs went for £120. Anyone want to make me a ludicrously overpriced offer? I don't really want to sell it, but I am super broke.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:22 am

I'm going all in on Marie Kondoing the house and have decided to part with my fan edition of the road beneath my feet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222144647423
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:46 pm

I'd really like a copy of that. Will keep an eye on the auction but if you have a buy it now price in mind, holler.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

waywardson

Post by waywardson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:57 pm

Evan wrote:
smartiepants wrote:You are correct about the quality of the pressing. I have been complaining bitterly about it for years. For me, anything pressed by Epitaph tends to lose sound quality as you get to the end of a side, and on one record I have the last song on side two is almost unlistenable (I got it free, so can't complain too much, but it pisses me off none the less). I haven't played my Epitaph versions of any of Frank's records in years, but I know they sound rubbish.

Hi Evan. I recently got a not cheap copy of the green vinyl EKMB (literally the day before the latest rerelease was announced) and though the sound quality is good enough for me the labels on the vinyl are horrible. Is it possible to get just the new labels to stick over them on the copy I already have?

Cheers,
Steve

suitcaselife

Post by suitcaselife » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:18 am

Pete wrote:I'd really like a copy of that. Will keep an eye on the auction but if you have a buy it now price in mind, holler.
Same here, I made it into the book with some pictures, but didn't get a copy (as I thought the pricey poster would end up with a copy - how wrong I was)...only have the "normal one".
95 gigs in 21 countries...
moving, keep moving - the tour never stops.

Twitter/Instagram: @MySuitcaseLife

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:51 am

waywardson wrote:
Evan wrote:
smartiepants wrote:You are correct about the quality of the pressing. I have been complaining bitterly about it for years. For me, anything pressed by Epitaph tends to lose sound quality as you get to the end of a side, and on one record I have the last song on side two is almost unlistenable (I got it free, so can't complain too much, but it pisses me off none the less). I haven't played my Epitaph versions of any of Frank's records in years, but I know they sound rubbish.

Hi Evan. I recently got a not cheap copy of the green vinyl EKMB (literally the day before the latest rerelease was announced) and though the sound quality is good enough for me the labels on the vinyl are horrible. Is it possible to get just the new labels to stick over them on the copy I already have?

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I have absolutely no idea how you would go about getting those labels, as I imagine they were made to order. if they plant ran off extras, then I would imagine that they are in possession of them, rather than the record company. But either way, none of that stuff has anything to do with me I am afraid.

Also, worth noting that altering the labels in any way will reduce the value of your record instantly. Even if they are shit to start with (which they are).

dutton316

Post by dutton316 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi, I bought a copy of The First Ten Years when it came out, an on advice from someone who knows more than me it's still in the shrinkrap to protect it.

Wondered if there was a way to get the Ten for Ten stuff from it?
Keep Having Dreams

1526: 11th February 2014 @ Pavillions, Plymouth