Hamburg Molotow show 28.04.16 (expensive!!!!!)

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Hamburger

Hamburg Molotow show 28.04.16 (expensive!!!!!)

Post by Hamburger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:45 am

Great news that Frank just announced a solo show next week in Hamburg. What I'm not so happy about though is the ticket price. 34 euro for a ticket!!!

I understand bands need to tour more these days to make money as many people don't buy music these days but it just seems very expensive.

I just finished reading Frank's book. It was a great read and he certainly put in the hours, miles and hard work to get to where he is today. It was great to see his career getting bigger and him getting more successful throughout the book. Many times though in the book, Frank mentioned that he realised that he was getting bigger but didn't want to become detached from the crowd or be a rockstar and how he tries to keep ticket prices down. Then he charges 34 euro for a solo show in Hamburg.

I don't know how these things work and what the costs of booking shows are and maybe 34 euro is the lowest that Frank could charge. I just think it's a bit expensive.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Keep up the good work and cheers Frank

frank
Site Admin

Re: Hamburg Molotow show 28.04.16 (expensive!!!!!)

Post by frank » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:21 am

For a start, tickets are 28 euros. We held back 50 some for the day which are 33.

As it happens, I'm in the middle of losing a high 5 figure sum to do the tour I'm on right now, to play full band shows in territories I don't usually go to. I play Germany all the time; we're throwing in an extra show to try and make sure I'm not totally bankrupt by time I get home. The ticket price is the same as it was on the tour we did in January. It also sold out instantly, as it goes.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Säm

Post by Säm » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:26 am

I paid about 30 € the last time I saw him solo and I think that 34 € is still a reasonable price even though it costs more than the full band shows last time.
Compared to the ridiculous prices other artists charge around 30 € is what I'm always willing to pay for band/artist of that standing or whatever you call it.
Plus it's short notice and a small show. In the end you don't have to go if it's too expensive. I'd glady pay a few bucks more but I can't make it this time.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:54 am

It was 34 euro for the presale. I bought a ticket. Total cost 36,55€ (2,50€ to print me own ticket!)

I just thought it was a bit pricy. Like I said, I don't know what it costs to put on these shows. I know it's going to be a great show (haven't been to a bad Frank Turner show) Really looking forward to it

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:15 pm

Really not sure how you managed that. I have the show contract deals in front of me. Agency fee, perhaps, but as has been discussed to death elsewhere, that's unfortunately not something I control.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:36 pm

I know agency fees are nothing to do with you. Ticket still cost me 34€ though. Didn't want to make such a big deal of it. What's done is done. It's going to be a great show. Here's a copy of my confirmation from Eventim

Frank Turner
Date/Time: Thu, 4/28/16 8:30 PM
Venue: Molotow / HAMBURG
Promoter: FKP Scorpio Konzertproduktionen GmbH, Grosse Elbstr. 277 A, 22767 Hamburg, Germany
1 Ticket(s) × € 34.05
Full Price Ticket, general admission
Block: Stehplatz
-----------------------------------------
Sub total: € 34.05
=========================================

Service and Delivery Charges: € 2.50
ticketdirect

-----------------------------------------
Total: € 36.55
================================

Evan

Post by Evan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:15 pm

That is clearly €28 face value, plus fees, plus delivery.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

koepy

Post by koepy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:22 pm

the problem is, that fkp (the booker) gives the exclusive sale to eventim. in this case (and a lot others) they charge more than 30% fees for one single ticket.

I many cases, bookers need to work with them, as they can sell a lot more tickets with them, because they are (more or less) the monopolist in Germany.

In this case, the show would have been sold out in one day anyway. No need for fucking eventim. Not really angry about these few bucks, but about the fact, that the biggest winner in this calculation is always this fucking company who puts the tickets in an envelope or sometimes just sends you the pdf via mail (worth 30%!). Neither the hard working artists and crew (0 to maybe +10-20%? on average, if you're not Madonna or Bon Jovi) nor the venues. No chance for the concert goers to avoid this game when the bookers decide to work exclusively with eventim. In general, that's frustrating, if you buy many concert tickets.

This discussion has nothing to do with the fact that Frank charges 28 euros for a show in Germany, either full band or solo. This is one of the few countries where he can earn some money with his shows and subsidizes it with full band shows in Eastern Europe or even in the U.S., where the shows are still very small (apart from big cities maybe). Full band, full show, crew, good sound, in front of 150 people, 8,000 kilometers from home. 18 or 20 bucks. Doesn't sound really good, financially speaking...

suitcaselife

Post by suitcaselife » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:03 am

Well yes, it is more expensive.... but as said before it's because Eventim is a shithole in this whole business and costs need to be covered. Sad to say Eventim is not even a monopolist in Germany, but in Europe, and it sucks a lot. But blaming Frank is the wrong thing in here. You should blame Scorpio (booking agency + local promoter for Hamburg shows) alone for this.

Eventim is adding 12% on the brutto ticket price + 1,20€ "service" fee + delivery... (just to make it clear for everyone).
Other systems as e.g Reservix are charging 10% + 0,70€ service fee.

Anyway, I got myself a ticket and I will enjoy the show, because it's one reason why all these other shows in the last few weeks (Poland, Slowakia, Slowenia) were able to happen.
65 gigs in 16 countries...
moving, keep moving - the tour never stops.

Twitter/Instagram: @MySuitcaseLife

koepy

Post by koepy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:57 pm

suitcaselife wrote:Eventim is adding 12% on the brutto ticket price + 1,20€ "service" fee + delivery... (just to make it clear for everyone).
Other systems as e.g Reservix are charging 10% + 0,70€ service fee.
plus €2 fee with yet another weird name (only tickets above about €30. plus €2.50 e-mail delivery. just to make it even more clear. 30 percent in total in the above mentioned case. no exceptions when buying just one ticket. except for hard tickets via mail = +2.40 for eventim. ;-)

suitcaselife

Post by suitcaselife » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:06 pm

That's what I meant with "delivery fee".

Yoyo Ma

Post by Yoyo Ma » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:24 pm

34 euro to see a Frank show is an incredible bargain to me, and I am by no means wealthy. #FTHC
8) 1186 1408 1499 1674 1745 1801 1895 1896 1909 1934 1962 1963 2008 2009 2092 2116 2182 2202 2251

Henne

Post by Henne » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Yes, Eventim have some annoying fees - but they are extremely reliable. I've ordered lots of tickets over the last thirteen or fourteen years there and I've never had any problems.
I got my tickets today. They made sure the tickets arrived in time and sent them via UPS urgent delivery with no additional costs.

Looking forward to Thursday!

suitcaselife

Post by suitcaselife » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Killer set, best way to end this tour. Thanks again :)
For everyone else; here's the bootleg (not mine this time) without the new songs of course:
Download: https://we.tl/wqqMqAFQpU

Share if you like, but don't sell it. Cheers.