What to do after Manchester (24th) gig

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

RobD

What to do after Manchester (24th) gig

Post by RobD » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:15 pm

So I'm going to be in Manchester for the Tuesday night gig next week; however, I miscalculated the time at which the gig will finish (likely to be around 11 apparently) and so by the time it ends I won't be able to get back to Lancaster on the train. I could book a hotel, but only if I don't want to eat for the next two weeks after. My question is: has anyone else ever been in a similar situation after a gig (or other event) and if so, what did you do about it? Try to kip in a 24-hour McDonalds? Wander the streets of the city? Just looking for any thoughts as it currently looks as if I'll have to sell the tickets and have done with it. :(

Evan

Re: What to do after Manchester (24th) gig

Post by Evan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:47 am

RobD wrote:So I'm going to be in Manchester for the Tuesday night gig next week; however, I miscalculated the time at which the gig will finish (likely to be around 11 apparently) and so by the time it ends I won't be able to get back to Lancaster on the train. I could book a hotel, but only if I don't want to eat for the next two weeks after. My question is: has anyone else ever been in a similar situation after a gig (or other event) and if so, what did you do about it? Try to kip in a 24-hour McDonalds? Wander the streets of the city? Just looking for any thoughts as it currently looks as if I'll have to sell the tickets and have done with it. :(

I have. In Manchester. In winter. We went to a club night and then basically hung around the bus station waiting for the first coach back to London. It wasn't a huge amount of fun and I would not really recommend it. That said, was a great gig and arguably worth it.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm

I'll be going to the Manchester gig on the Monday, but fortunately getting a lift home after, otherwise I would have had to leave early to catch the last train. Looks like even Travelodges are a rip off on the Tuesday night, but if it's a one-off probably worth it rather than hanging around Manchester in the cold. Or, try to swap your tickets for the Monday night and get a Travelodge for £45 instead of £80. Other than that I suppose try and find a bar open until the early hours then get the 5am train back to Lancaster on Wednesday. Or, National Express coaches leave Manchester coach station at 1:10am on the Wednesday to Lancaster, so you would only have 2 hours to kill between the gig and getting a coach back - not too bad.

Sorry, I realise that wasn't much help.

RobD

Post by RobD » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Kirsty wrote:I'll be going to the Manchester gig on the Monday, but fortunately getting a lift home after, otherwise I would have had to leave early to catch the last train. Looks like even Travelodges are a rip off on the Tuesday night, but if it's a one-off probably worth it rather than hanging around Manchester in the cold. Or, try to swap your tickets for the Monday night and get a Travelodge for £45 instead of £80. Other than that I suppose try and find a bar open until the early hours then get the 5am train back to Lancaster on Wednesday. Or, National Express coaches leave Manchester coach station at 1:10am on the Wednesday to Lancaster, so you would only have 2 hours to kill between the gig and getting a coach back - not too bad.

Sorry, I realise that wasn't much help.
That was actually a great help, thanks. :) The National Express option is really tempting (or the Megabus from the Shudehill Exchange at 1:30), bit of a trek possibly but it'll kill some of the time. I was on the verge of cancelling but now I'm really torn.

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:30 pm

No problem. Hope you make it to the gig tomorrow. Make sure you take something warm and dry though if you're hanging around for a coach after.