The Tour Bus

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Faulksp

The Tour Bus

Post by Faulksp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks for great show last night.....The Outdoor Type....Awesome.

A question from my wife who attended her first gig.....On spotting the bus outside Roadmenders she came up with this little gem ......

Understand why you travel the US in a tour bus as this enables you to travel and sleep the long distances involved. Also understand why you would use a bus in the UK in order to cut down costs. But what happens in the UK when you reach your destination as the venues are relatively close together ?

When you sleep do you park in a lay by and if so are there laws against such things....do you park up in a lorry park.... do you drive really slow lol........?

I am aware this is rather a silly question but it has made me curious.

Also ..I managed to catch the signed drum thingy last night and am the proud owner of the ultimate souvenir from show number 1614 - thank you. I have tweeted you picture with my son showing off our new family heirloom ........our only family heirloom !!

Thanks Frank

frank
Site Admin

Re: The Tour Bus

Post by frank » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:41 pm

The bus generally leaves at 2am or so and parks up at our destination. We sleep until we wake up, no laws against it as far as I know, it's pretty standard practice.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Faulksp

Post by Faulksp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks for the swift reply .....

h26

Post by h26 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:15 pm

after being on tour for a while do you find it hard to get to sleep in a non moving bed?
Shows? nowhere near enough of 'em!

Leicesterbantam

Post by Leicesterbantam » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:02 am

Apologies Frank, as this is probably a lame thread, but any more to add? Surprised at myself at the curiosity this has generated in my relatively simple mind. How many beds, who on there? sitting area/tv? Shower? how do you not get annoyed with whoever wakes up earliest? Do you have your own space? How choose bunks, etc?

Evan

Post by Evan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:43 am

Leicesterbantam wrote:Apologies Frank, as this is probably a lame thread, but any more to add? Surprised at myself at the curiosity this has generated in my relatively simple mind. How many beds, who on there? sitting area/tv? Shower? how do you not get annoyed with whoever wakes up earliest? Do you have your own space? How choose bunks, etc?

I haven't been on the current bus, but have been on a few of theirs in the past and they are much of a muchness. Generally there is a small lounge front and back upstairs, with bunks in between (for 16? Sleep feet forward in case of a sudden stop). Downstairs is a further seating area with a small area to make food (fridge, microwave, sink etc) and a teeny tiny toilet (no solids). There is usually some sort of entertainment set up (TV, DVD, XBox etc) in at least one of the lounges. Band and crew are all on there, although in the past when there has been a large production they have actually had two buses. The rule is to be quiet when others are sleeping. In my experience no one really hangs out there unless it's after the show or they are asleep. And they always smell a bit unusual - like a mix between sweat and stale farts. I would go utterly insane after about a week. I am not a big man, but those bunks are pretty snug and sharing such close quarters with a dozen other people does not appeal. However, it's really good fun for a night or two.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:09 pm

I am glad this topic has come up as I have always been curious, but too embarrassed to ask. The logistics of putting on a show fascinates me. I saw the chaps loading a massive truck after the show in Cambridge, wow they work hard!
Hats off to them.
I had a nasty feeling there would be a suspicious smell on the bus, thanks Evan, I can almost smell it now! Yuck, I wonder who the worst culprit is?

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Between 12 and 16 berths (bunks) for sleeping, feet forward, yes it smells pretty bad. It's home tho, I sleep well there, everyone has there own bunk (ish)
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:59 pm

frank wrote:We sleep until we wake up..............
WOW me too :D
:D

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Not that many good songs written about the everyday life of being on tour. Many bands spend a lot of their lives doing the "Das Boot" thing but mainly write about their life in the outside world.

Only good ones I can think of are

Jackson Brown - The Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTaVlQ8v1cQ

and

Loudon Wainwright III - Road Ode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWKf-xZhbtQ

Any other suggestions?
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/