UK Arena Tour/ Meet the crowd

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

marowak

Re: UK Arena Tour/ Meet the crowd

Post by marowak » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 pm

my posting is going odd - i was going to write about my back pain - but it wont let me save....

my back pain is a 9 every day .... from a scale of 1 - 10
i get woken up in my sleep from the pain

from time to time i have to take pain killers - but have to be careful as i get easily addicted to them.
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

DieselBenz

Post by DieselBenz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 pm

darlenet. wrote:
frank wrote: Well, why not have a soundcheck hangout;
Very intriguing idea and a creative solution to a logistics nightmare. Wouldn't mind that catching on with some of the other large bands I see.....
Agreed. I got to do something like this with Muse last fall, though it was a contest rather than charity (would have been just as happy to pay a little and have it be for charity though). Nothing pretentious or unfair about it, it was a massive treat. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure no one wants me comparing Frank to Muse, and that's not what I'm getting at at all ... just that when a musician gets to playing certain venue sizes, regardless of their style and personality, it just becomes mathematically and logistically overwhelming to come out after every show and meet everyone. And you know if they only come out after some shows and not others, they're really going to hear it. The entitlements people have when it come to what they think musicians "owe" them drives me up a wall. Frank's plan sounds perfectly fair to me, plus maybe a great chance for fans to meet other fans before the show, right?
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18

valderie

Post by valderie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 pm

DieselBenz wrote: Agreed. I got to do something like this with Muse last fall, though it was a contest rather than charity (would have been just as happy to pay a little and have it be for charity though). Nothing pretentious or unfair about it, it was a massive treat. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure no one wants me comparing Frank to Muse, and that's not what I'm getting at at all ... just that when a musician gets to playing certain venue sizes, regardless of their style and personality, it just becomes mathematically and logistically overwhelming to come out after every show and meet everyone. And you know if they only come out after some shows and not others, they're really going to hear it. The entitlements people have when it come to what they think musicians "owe" them drives me up a wall. Frank's plan sounds perfectly fair to me, plus maybe a great chance for fans to meet other fans before the show, right?
that sounds like an awesome time with Muse! a few years ago i saw the backstreet boys and my friends managed to get us into their fanclub soundcheck event. fans were allowed to watch them soundcheck a few songs, ask a handful of questions (as a Q&A session) and then it got divided. if you paid the least amount (it may have been $100?) you got to walk past the band and say hello to them. the next level up was a group photo with the band (what we somehow got, which would have been $200 but it was free for us). it was rushed, you couldnt even say hi or shake hands with the entire band and it was just - stand in front of them, CLICK, and you were shooed away for the next group. there were $300 and and $500 levels too if i'm not mistaken, which were individual photos with each member (300) and a ~backstage tour~ with the band of the dressing rooms (500). all the money went into their pocket. and while it was nice to get a group photo with the band i loved as a 6 year old, if i had PAID for that experience i would have been super pissed off and let down.

this seems like the smartest and safest idea for frank and knowing him it wont be a big bullshit fest like many other ~vip~ packages are.

DieselBenz

Post by DieselBenz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:27 am

valderie wrote: that sounds like an awesome time with Muse! a few years ago i saw the backstreet boys and my friends managed to get us into their fanclub soundcheck event. fans were allowed to watch them soundcheck a few songs, ask a handful of questions (as a Q&A session) and then it got divided. if you paid the least amount (it may have been $100?) you got to walk past the band and say hello to them. the next level up was a group photo with the band (what we somehow got, which would have been $200 but it was free for us). it was rushed, you couldnt even say hi or shake hands with the entire band and it was just - stand in front of them, CLICK, and you were shooed away for the next group. there were $300 and and $500 levels too if i'm not mistaken, which were individual photos with each member (300) and a ~backstage tour~ with the band of the dressing rooms (500). all the money went into their pocket. and while it was nice to get a group photo with the band i loved as a 6 year old, if i had PAID for that experience i would have been super pissed off and let down.
That's just nuts ... can't imagine wanting to meet anybody that much, unless it were a surgeon and my life were on the line, ha. The pre-gig thing for Muse was free, you just had to be crazy lucky to win one of 50 spots (fortunately for me, my friend was). It was a radio station thing, and actually was more laid-back and intimate than we expected!
But yeah, I'm sure Frank's will be extremely cool ... sounds like a good little party for a great cause.
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18

scotty94

Post by scotty94 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Soundcheck idea is a fucking immense shout!! I know I'm up for this one.

Wish more bands would do this!

Can't imagine how anybody would think that they have the right to command your time outside of the scheduled gig situation and think that they have been 'short-changed' if you don't meet them, seriously fucked up thinking on their behalf, would they go work for 8 hours then arrange a meeting or take their break on site at the end of that said shift...erm no!!!! anything that is done by an artist outside of the allotted gig scenario that a person has brought a ticket for is a bonus.

Just hope the soundcheck idea works and is feasible in that you get to do so and still get to chill and prepare for the gig without this encroaching on your usual routine and turning into a situation whereby you are rushing around like a loony before each show starts.

Great that you made a point of airing your views on this Frank as I guess a lot of folks forget that you are as human as the rest of us and deserve the same treatment.

As for the back pain, hope that improves, I've suffered with chronic sacroiliitis and muscular issues in my back for the last 20 years and have spent some days just bawling like a baby in pain with no medication easing that pain in the slightest.
282, 317, 558, 718, 1078, 1299, 1382, 1407 tbc.....

ScarletPlanetMoon

Post by ScarletPlanetMoon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:18 pm

frank wrote:
ScarletPlanetMoon wrote:
frank wrote:we are shortly announcing a scheme that is going to allow some hang out time, not kill me, and raise cash for charity...
We're not going to have to pay to see you are we? For charity or not, my budget is stretched enough without that just to say hi... (You could of course come out to see the queue if you get the time) Also, when's this announcement? I need to book trains etc for Manchester, and if I know I'm gunna be able to get a train that gets me home earlier than 3am, that's be great :)

And that isn't meant to sound as bitchy as it seems :roll:
I'm sorry, I've been biting my tongue for days, but I have to take issue with this. That's a bullshit statement, through and through. Here's the deal (all this coming in the announcement as well, which you, y'know, could have waited for). There's no way I can do my regular hangout thing when there's more than 10,000 people coming to a given show. Also, with my back / health generally, I've realised lately that one of the biggest tolls on me on tour is spending 2 hours standing in the cold shaking hands with strangers. It's really draining. That said, I don't want to hide out from the people at shows, I never did before and I don't want to change that side of what I do, it's not how I think of myself. So we have a conundrum. How to make this work for everyone? Well, why not have a soundcheck hangout; 100, maybe 150 people come down, we sell tickets for maybe £5 or £10 and all the money goes to a charity (probably Shelter). That way, as far as I can see, the most people are satisfied, and we also raise money for a great cause.

I also have to say that, while, as mentioned, I don't want to be removed from my audience, in recent years I have started to get a little tired of the sense of entitlement to a hangout some people have. If you buy a ticket, you buy a ticket to see me and the Souls give our all, musically, on stage, and we do that. If we cross paths before or after the show, great, cool, lovely I'll hang out and be nice and all the rest. But I've had people say I've ripped them off because I didn't meet them, stuff like that, and it's bullshit. My insistence on being a normal person also extends to having nights where I'm tired, sick, hanging out with old friends, or just not feeling sociable.

Going back to the question in hand, yes, this is the best way to do things, and if you don't like it, don't come to the fucking hangout, simple as.
I have no issue with you not coming out, for those reasons, but to be honest, I thought you've always said that you wouldn't charge people to meet you. That's the issue I have.

And don't worry, I don't intend to come to the damn hangout.
I'm no good at thinking of something funny enough for these things.
http://www.hellyeahjlandtss.tumblr.com

kim182

Post by kim182 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:26 pm

I think many people haven't attended a soundcheck yet und really would like to.
Having the possibility sounds nice.
Also paying £5 or £10 that will go to social projects is fine.

Angels & Airwaves did soundcheck stuff for fans and it was like 100€ or more which they kept for themselves. :roll:
I hate this place but i love these chords

minorkeys

Post by minorkeys » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:43 pm

kim182 wrote:I think many people haven't attended a soundcheck yet und really would like to.
Having the possibility sounds nice.
Also paying £5 or £10 that will go to social projects is fine.
:
100% in agreement with you! It sounds like a brilliant plan.

anotherexcuse

Post by anotherexcuse » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Giving fans the chance to go to a soundcheck is a great idea.

I was able to watch the Dropkick Murphys soundcheck a while back and, as a big fan, it was great to hear them run through a couple of songs and then, essentially, dick around for 20 mins while they got the levels right. It would be great to watch Frank do that and I'd happily spend a few quid on it, regardless of the meeting/autograph-getting part of it.

Fuck anything else - hanging around by the backdoor afterwards on the off chance of getting a quick photo when a band leaves the venue and gets on to the bus should be the most that fans 'expect' - anything on top of that, such as Frank's behaviour for the last few years, is an incredible bonus and deserves a big thumbs up.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:37 pm

ScarletPlanetMoon wrote:I have no issue with you not coming out, for those reasons, but to be honest, I thought you've always said that you wouldn't charge people to meet you. That's the issue I have.

Sorry, but with all due respect, that line of thinking seems harsh, unfair, and not linear. 1. Harsh, because we have all experienced Frank's graciousness. 2.-unfair because he totally responded to your concerns, and 3.- not linear because the only way to not disappoint people is a controlled get together. Imagine people waiting in line afterward, only to be turned away because there has to be an endpoint. People would then complain about missing trains, etc. PLUS, it's for charity. People worse off than all of us benefit.

I wouldn't call that generosity "a damn hangout".
shows? 90 so far...

Leilalei

Post by Leilalei » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:47 pm

I think the soundcheck thing for charity sounds brilliant.
I dont see it as paying to meet Frank as the numbers mentioned in his comment above/its a soundcheck show its more than a signing tent style experience (of which my son was pissed at NME about as they didnt put up the picture of him and Frank to download after Reading, but thankfully he got over himself and his preteen idiocy, anyway, tangent :lol: )

but judging by Twitter today he could master alchemy and people would still bitch at him.

I dont get it myself but then I leg it once shows are over as Im more attached to my bed than getting cold.
Never put a sock in a toaster!

ScarletPlanetMoon

Post by ScarletPlanetMoon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:52 pm

darlenet. wrote:
ScarletPlanetMoon wrote:I have no issue with you not coming out, for those reasons, but to be honest, I thought you've always said that you wouldn't charge people to meet you. That's the issue I have.

Sorry, but with all due respect, that line of thinking seems harsh, unfair, and not linear. 1. Harsh, because we have all experienced Frank's graciousness. 2.-unfair because he totally responded to your concerns, and 3.- not linear because the only way to not disappoint people is a controlled get together. Imagine people waiting in line afterward, only to be turned away because there has to be an endpoint. People would then complain about missing trains, etc. PLUS, it's for charity. People worse off than all of us benefit.

I never once said he wasn't being gracious, I just said that I never thought he'd charge for people to meet him, for charity or not. I also never said that I expect him to come out and meet people. No way. Those people who expect him to come out after shows are those who are going to be disappointed. Anyone worth their salt would understand why he chooses not to do it. And quite frankly, people should think about these things before they book trains, or keep an eye on the time if they're catching the last one. That is nobody else's fault other than the person who misses the train.

And as for people waiting in line only to be turned away? I once stood outside a gig in the freezing cold rain, for over an hour waiting to see if I would get to meet my favourite band (a band who truly mean the world to me). Only to see them drive off on their tour bus without so much as a word. So yeah, I know the pain.

You're allowed your opinions, as I am mine.

I don't expect anything other than a show, I never have and I never will.
I'm no good at thinking of something funny enough for these things.
http://www.hellyeahjlandtss.tumblr.com

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:22 pm

ScarletPlanetMoon wrote:
I have no issue with you not coming out, for those reasons, but to be honest, I thought you've always said that you wouldn't charge people to meet you. That's the issue I have.

So Frank still wants to meet his fans that come to his gigs. He has already said that just coming out after the gig, like he usually does isn't practical with such a large crowd. What other ways could he do this that would disappoint the least amount of people?

Not come out to meet people til 1am in the hope a lot of people have given up and gone home? Meet the first 20 people only before disappearing back inside, leaving many disappointed and a stampede as soon as he steps outside? A competition to meet him? Whilst this wouldn't cost, it takes the decision out of people's hands and if you're in a large group and only two of you win, then you have to decide whether to abandon your mates or not. At least with the way Frank is suggesting, the decision is in your hands (unless your boss won't let you out of work in time) and he is only asking for "£5 or £10" for charity, rather than £100 for himself, like in some of the examples given. And in arenas, £5 is pretty much the price of one drink, which most people will pay without questioning it (although grumbling is allowed).

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 pm

darlenet. wrote:

To be fair, Frank called it a "fucking hangout" first.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Blonde wrote:To be fair, Frank called it a "fucking hangout" first.
Ha! Touché.
shows? 90 so far...