US Tour 2013

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

frank
Site Admin

Re: US Tour 2013

Post by frank » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 pm

ezeblazin wrote:I was at the Silver Spring show. Frank was great as always.. I'm just highly disappointed it was a 21+ show, there was no reason for that other than the stupid bud light sponsorship. Also upset that they were only allowed to sell bud light, bud light lime, bud light platinum and lime a ritas at the venue. They have a ton of other beers that are actually good and weren't able to sell them because of the sponsorship. I don't know why Frank would agree to that, although maybe he didn't know... I guess that's just what comes with being on a major label.

Also, I'm wondering if the new song he had "never played before" is the same new song he played the last few nights... anyone know? I don't remember any of the lyrics other than the word Aphrodite.
With regard to the Bud Light thing.. it's not something I'd usually do (because of the age limit thing, can't say I care that much about the beer branding, it doesn't affect what I do on stage). That said, in this instance they paid us a big fee for the show. Just before everyone calls me a sell out for that, the point is, it meant this tour was able to break even financially, and therefore to happen at all (and indeed to bring Ben Marwood out as well). So it wasn't perhaps the easiest decision, but I think the right one. Touring in the USA is still pretty fraught, financially, for me. Next time we're through it'll be all ages again.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

valderie

Post by valderie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:35 pm

ezeblazin wrote: Also, I'm wondering if the new song he had "never played before" is the same new song he played the last few nights... anyone know? I don't remember any of the lyrics other than the word Aphrodite.
the new one he played out in brooklyn was about getting better. like "we can get better cause we're not dead yet" - really liked that

jdc

Post by jdc » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:37 am

frank wrote:
With regard to the Bud Light thing.. it's not something I'd usually do (because of the age limit thing, can't say I care that much about the beer branding, it doesn't affect what I do on stage). That said, in this instance they paid us a big fee for the show. Just before everyone calls me a sell out for that, the point is, it meant this tour was able to break even financially, and therefore to happen at all (and indeed to bring Ben Marwood out as well). So it wasn't perhaps the easiest decision, but I think the right one. Touring in the USA is still pretty fraught, financially, for me. Next time we're through it'll be all ages again.
I think that's reasonable - I'm sure it's not something that anyone is overly comfortable with, but it gave thousands of your fans the opportunity to see you again (or for the first time) that they might not have gotten otherwise. It's unfortunate that something more all ages (or at least more tasty) couldn't have offered that sort of sponsorship fee, but it's the offer that was made. The only thing I'm a bit salty about was that I went for a preshow drink and they were giving away tickets - I'm more than happy to pay, but I'd rather get in for free and make it up via merch (which I assume goes into your pockets in greater proportions than ticket costs). Oh well.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:20 am

frank wrote: ......it doesn't affect what I do on stage).
That is the exact fucking point.
shows? 90 so far...

ezeblazin

Post by ezeblazin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:16 pm

frank wrote:
ezeblazin wrote:I was at the Silver Spring show. Frank was great as always.. I'm just highly disappointed it was a 21+ show, there was no reason for that other than the stupid bud light sponsorship. Also upset that they were only allowed to sell bud light, bud light lime, bud light platinum and lime a ritas at the venue. They have a ton of other beers that are actually good and weren't able to sell them because of the sponsorship. I don't know why Frank would agree to that, although maybe he didn't know... I guess that's just what comes with being on a major label.

Also, I'm wondering if the new song he had "never played before" is the same new song he played the last few nights... anyone know? I don't remember any of the lyrics other than the word Aphrodite.
Fair enough. It was a fantastic night regardless. Also, thanks for bringing out Off With Their Heads, one of my favorite bands these days. Looking forward to the next one.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 pm

jdc wrote:The only thing I'm a bit salty about was that I went for a preshow drink and they were giving away tickets - I'm more than happy to pay, but I'd rather get in for free and make it up via merch (which I assume goes into your pockets in greater proportions than ticket costs). Oh well.
Really? That fucking sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

jdc

Post by jdc » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:47 am

frank wrote:
jdc wrote:The only thing I'm a bit salty about was that I went for a preshow drink and they were giving away tickets - I'm more than happy to pay, but I'd rather get in for free and make it up via merch (which I assume goes into your pockets in greater proportions than ticket costs). Oh well.
Really? That fucking sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Honestly, Frank, the far greater indignity was them giving me a free Bud Light as if that was a prize of some sort.

DieselBenz

Post by DieselBenz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43 am

ezeblazin wrote: Also, I'm wondering if the new song he had "never played before" is the same new song he played the last few nights... anyone know? I don't remember any of the lyrics other than the word Aphrodite.
I can bear witness that the one played in Silver Spring was an entirely different song than the one played in Brooklyn the night before. They were both entirely fucking amazing. Wow.

Great week of shows ... each of the ones I went to was special, and I met some more awesome people along the way. Also, I adored Ben Marwood ... so glad he was able to come along.
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18

traci-ann

Post by traci-ann » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:53 pm

drove up to burlington vermont to see frank & the sleeping souls friday night 8/2 (he doesn't come back to boston until nov. who can wait that long) do i need to say that the boys were fucking amazing? such a great great show. it was apparently frank's first stop in vermont as well so it was very awesome to see so many people at their first live gig having the time of their life.

if you were there and it was your first time, i'd like to also welcome you to the family. :)
traci-ann

But if ever I stray from the path I follow
Take me down to tBoston Harbor...

reitzel6570

Post by reitzel6570 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Great crowd in VT. And Dieselbenz and I saw a camel on the way there! Sadly, I can't do Boston in November. I'm seriously considering making up for it by doing the Norfolk/Ashville/Charlottesville string.

traci-ann

Post by traci-ann » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:45 pm

reitzel6570 wrote: Sadly, I can't do Boston in November. .
he'll be playing northhampton, ma the week before the boston show.
traci-ann

But if ever I stray from the path I follow
Take me down to tBoston Harbor...

whit223

Post by whit223 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi everyone! The Vermont show was my first show. so. much. damn. fun. hope I can make a few more US shows!

valderie

Post by valderie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:07 pm

if you're going to any of the fall dates come join this facebook group! 8) https://www.facebook.com/groups/634046769946972/

LoveStreet

Post by LoveStreet » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Sent my request for the Facebook group. See you in November!
(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

tampateri

Post by tampateri » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:30 pm

LoveStreet wrote:Sent my request for the Facebook group. See you in November!
ditto