Ireland

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

skhmmxi

Post by skhmmxi » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:06 am

moomin wrote:jesus this came around quick

however not looking forward to my first ferry trip being in the tail end of gale force weather if anyone has tips for not throwing up my knees please tell
Stay near a window, keep your eyes on the horizon as much as possible. If you feel really bad, go outside on deck and do the same. Buy a bottle of water and sip it en route, try not to eat too much on board. Don't do what I did and try and watch a DVD, that's definitely not helpful.

Helium

Post by Helium » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:44 pm

however not looking forward to my first ferry trip being in the tail end of gale force weather if anyone has tips for not throwing up my knees please tell
Bit late I appreciate but I used to have wristbands with little kinda buttons on them which you wore 3 fingers down from your wrist. It's potentially a load of bollocks but always stopped me being/feeling travel sick so might be worth having a look for them?
10: 18/03, 27/08, 04/12, 31/12
11: 17/2, 21/4, 13/5 16/5, 7/7, 26/8 (x2), 24/11, 26/11, 27/11
12: 13/4, 7/7, 12/11, 13/11, 17/11
13: 17/4, 19/4, 11/7, 12/7
14: 7/2, 9/2, 12/2, 28/9
15: 24/3, 27/8, 15/11, 23/11
16: 23/11, 13/12, 15/12
18: 8/5, 13/5

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:54 pm

I am now officially excited, convinced a friend to come to Kilkenny, a few should go to Cork as it means no travelling for them, none are biting for Galway yet so mgiht leave that off, and while I have my tix for Dublin I still have to find someone to go ha.

My first night getting drunk in over 3 weeks will be Tuesday and it can't come fast enough! (I did slip up and have a few pints saturday, but wasn't drunk) :D Will be good to get away.
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

moomin

Post by moomin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:55 pm

newmy wrote:

Don't eat your knees?
oops

too late

ah Helium maybe they sell them at the docks or something
bit concerned the ferry might not sail but we have inflatables I am sure we can find our own way across
I mean its a tiny sea really, more like a lake...

Nokotan

Post by Nokotan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 am

Sunday could potentially be the best day in a long, long time.

Dublin in the All-Ireland Final and then Frank. Frank's a certainty to be good, wish I could say the same about Dublin.

Then heading to Latvia the next day, thankfully the flight is at 5 or so, enough time to recover hopefully...

Might have a spare ticket by the way if anyone's looking for one.

Daire

Post by Daire » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Fairly sure I'm only doing Kilkenny and Dublin now. Excited!

Hope the weather clears up a bit for you guys planning on camping!
insist on the impossible.

moomin

Post by moomin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:13 pm

well that was an experience
think I can safely say I dont need to camp ever again, as pretty as the campsites were and as much as it added to the experience what a faff and the amount of stuff you have to take

Ferry was ok in the end, did feel a bit funny for about five minutes but that was soon sorted by getting out of the stuffy room filled with air fresheners and out on deck to get a free sea salt facial

gigs were brilliant
Kilkenny was a sit down affair in a real theatre, nice venue and comfy after a long drive, first introduction to Ciaran who helped make the trip into something amazing. Bob Dylan cover with the other support Alan Byrne playing a tiny harmonica which has not yet recovered from his puff.
Wont be able to tell you which song even though I recognised it, all this mp3 shuffle goodness means song titles are lost to me.
Cork, honestly thought I had walked into Cardiff on a Saturday night - gig was so much fun though really enjoyed it, loving the new one Polaroid Picture. Crowd were in fine voice and got a cover of Queens I want to break free.
Did kiss the Blarney Stone, more to say I can hang over the edge of a building when I am not the greatest with heights than for whatever it is meant to bring, loved the Dolmen and how the stones are balanced.
Galway, louder than Cork and Sailors Boots stood out for this gig. We gave up on the camping idea for Galway pretty much as soon as we arrived due to the October temperatures and the campsite right by the Atlantic. Def got over my fear of pointy elbows for this gig and Frank is now classed as a nice guy, instead of scary rock star person.
Night off was spent in a campsite on the River Shannon which was one of the best nights sleep of the tour. Had a little paddle in the river the next morning to see if I could gain an Irish accent.
Belfast, full band which meant ogling of super bass skills helped by standing right under Tarrant, this is a very distracting place to stand but well worth it for the bass kick in during If ever I Stray. You will have to ask someone else as to how the rest of it went because I only saw bass skills and some more bass skills and oh joy more bass skills. I do think there were some other people on stage as well but thats a bit hazy. Although do remember prodding our security guard into singing along for Photosynthesis, what a nice chap.
Dublin, this was the best night to end on, loved all the shows for individual merits but having not felt too hot towards gig time it was either go nuts or suffer miserably feeling sick so went nuts, obvious and only choice. Stood right next to the speaker but at some points was singing along loud enough to hear myself over them, jumped and danced until I fucked my knee but who cares all pain, all the sleepless nights, camping and sitting in the back of a Land rover Defender with a flip up seat surrounded by luggage was all made worth it by the end of that night, fucking awesome.
It was also the gig we werent going to do due to commitments at home for early Monday morning but so glad we arranged for the 2:30 ferry back now. Does mean I havent been to bed since I got up at 10am Sunday morning but fuck it.

So to Frank, Ciaran and my gig buddies thank you, and to everyone I met along the way hello you superstars.

not sure if this post is going to make a whole lot of sense due to lacking of sleep I do know the white lettering is turning into lots of pretty colours right now.

nellied

Post by nellied » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Well, Moomin's pretty much summed it up well... but

Fucking Hell, that was one amazing trip.
I'm knackered. I've driven over 1000 miles, and poor Landrover broke down twice on the way round... I'm not entirely sure where i am anymore, it's 36 hours since i actually properly slept barr about 1 1/2 hrs of fitful doseing on the ferry on the way back, but i made my 9am lecture and just about kept my eyes open enough to write 32 pages of notes and collapse on the sofa at 5pm when i got home, still in the same clothes i went to the gig in because I hadn't had time to change, merely spray half a can of deoderant over myself.

I've seen some amazing places on this trip, and each night has been completly different. I got to hear several songs that despite the no. of gigs i'm racking up i'd never heard before including Outdoor Type (Thanks Frank :D)
Though as a result we're just known as "those made campers" from Cork onwards.... Those who came to say hello the general introduction was "oh your the camping girls aren't you?" Yes, yes we are.
"Polaroid Picture" Is by far my favourite one i've heard since the first time I listened to the 2010 Peggy bootleg.
We had a little too much fun in Blarney Castle and didn't arrive in Galway until 9pm at which point it was pissing it down, blowing a gale and dark. My hands found themselves typing "travelodge" into my expedia app and accidentally pressing book....

Belfast was special in its own right, and we had great fun post gig too thanks to Ciaran.

Dublin was the perfect ending, Ciaran & Frank and Sleeping Souls all killed it. I've not jumped and yelled that much in a long time. But it kept me going enough for the drive to the port and then the 2 hour drive back to Chester at 5.30am.

Hello to everyone we met on the way, Massive thanks to Frank and Ciaran who really helped make this trip extra special. Yep, we're nuts for doing it, and i''ve loved every minute of it.
Past: '09: 29/8 '10: 17/3 26/8 27/8 3/12 11/12 31/12 '11: 17/2 5/3 21/4 (#1k) 9/5 13/5 15/5 7/7 3/8 6/8 26a/8 26b/8 13/9 14/9 15/9 17/9 18/9 24/11 26/11 27/11 '12 13/4 7/7 13/11 31/1 '13: 1/1
Upcoming ?

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

That road trip was a bit awesome. Loved every minute of it. Camping gave us a lot of freedom (and saved a lot of money) which although we moaned about it, we were kinda grateful for. I think the camping in Kilkenny was made worse cos we'd got a free upgrade to a suite in our Dublin hotel the night before.

Kilkenny was a bit odd in that it was a quiet gig with everyone sat down. At one point I'd sank so far down in my chair I was nearly lying down! Kilkenny is a very pretty place and I'd love to go back there.

At the Cork gig, I finally got to see Frank play I Want To Break Free live. That was my highlight of the gig (there were other highlights too). It was also good to see that Ciaran didn't appear to be too traumatised by the journey down to Cork.

Galway was somehow even louder than Cork

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:59 pm

(having to do this in two posts cos I lost the bottom of my post on my phone and couldn't carry on)

In Galway we also got to see Polaroid Picture(s) again but this time Frank got all the words right. Also the first night of sitting down for photosynthesis (anyone trying to do this in future, sit down at the sat minute cos by the time Frank has introduced everyone your feet are killing you)

Belfast was good if a little weird at first to see The Sleeping Souls onstage. Would like to thank Tarrant for somehow manage to miss twatting us around the head with his bass and for avoiding sweating on us when he was rocking out. We're very grateful. The bouncer infront of us even sang along to the end of photosynthesis after a little poking.

Dublin was my favourite gig out of the tour. We had managed stand the bouncy side which meant we didn't look out of place. Still think that the Somebody To Love cover should be made a permanent fixture of the setlist.

One of the nicest things was seeing that we weren't the only ones who were going to more than one gig.

I have travelled to other countries before for gigs and festivals and this was my 2nd favourite trip out of them all (my favourite is exceptionally had to beat). So thank you to Carla, Saph, Ciaran, Frank and everyone we met along the way.

Daire

Post by Daire » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 pm

I was way too drunk in Kilkenny. :/

Was a bizarre (but good) show.
insist on the impossible.

moomin

Post by moomin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Blonde wrote:
I have travelled to other countries before for gigs and festivals and this was my 2nd favourite trip out of them all (my favourite is exceptionally hard to beat).
agreement to both parts of this statement

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:14 am

Blonde wrote: One of the nicest things was seeing that we weren't the only ones who were going to more than one gig.
This a thousand times! I was so happy to see so many people at a few gigs, I went to three myself because after Cork I woke up insanely hungover! I had a great time, fantastic experience. I introduced 4 new people to Frank's music in that time, including 2 Israeli's who might share with their friends and even my best friend who was extremely skeptical but still came to Kilkenny (He did almost get us arrested though...)! :D

One of my highlights is Frank calling the "girls" who were around Cork for their junior cert out on dressing like skanks.

I wasn't in the "mix" so to speak for Dublin which is a little annoying, but it was still a great show. Somebody to Love was fantastic!

Can't wait to see Frank again! :) Will be great.

(Also, my apologise to all users I asked if they were sure they weren't guys, becuase I was "sure" you were. I'm a bit annoying when drunk, and I was pretty damn fucked up.)
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks for the Guinness :wink:

moomin

Post by moomin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:05 pm

minidazzler wrote:
(Also, my apologise to all users I asked if they were sure they weren't guys, becuase I was "sure" you were. I'm a bit annoying when drunk, and I was pretty damn fucked up.)
like me you mean ;)
I even said to your friend what if you mistake me for a bloke and punch me and five minutes later "I thought you were a bloke...."

was going to come over in Cork but thought you might be "busy" so didnt want to intrude :lol: