The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Pete wrote:Ditto. My boss just accused me of being part the cause:

"People like you, consumers of mass media who are desperate for the next photo, stopping the police doing their job". Yep... Me, hiding in my fucking flat watching the news, definitely my doing.
My boss is conspicuous in his absence
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 pm

For the first time in about a year, mine sadly isn't

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:39 pm

If i get even the vaguest confirmation something is going on near by, I am packing up and out of here.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:02 pm

I feel lucky to be up north at the moment. Hope everyone in London stays safe.

Just got a new job. Whoo.

moomin

Post by moomin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:53 pm

just come back from the Clapham clean up
basically lots of standing around getting sun burnt before we were finally allowed to go clean up some stuff
but overall its about the being a part of it and sending a message out
I guess you have to have open ears to hear that message but at least it was sent out

the shops around here have closed up early
Wandsworth was hit earlier I was told
and Wimbledon boarded up and shop keepers left around 15:00
Last edited by moomin on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newmy

Post by newmy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:56 pm

My work went on lockdown around 2pm and fully evacuated by about 3.30 as a precautionary measure. No trouble at all but was just for safety, few cops around but nothing major.

Walked along Upper Street on my way home and there were a few smashed windows and shops seemed to be closing early/removing stock from the shops.

Waiting to see what happens tonight with baited breath...

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:17 pm

I was due to do the late shift at work but an hour before I was due to go in I got a call telling me not to bother coming in cos the police had told them to close early as a precaution. This is in Nottingham.

At least the police up here seem to be dealing with things quickly.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:23 am

No trouble last night, but how long we can have the entire of London closing mid afternoon and 16,000 police on the streets, fuck knows.

As an aside, just so I can say I told you so, media very much painting the vigilante groups patrolling Eltham and Enfield last night in a positive manner, when I'm willing to bet a good few of them were EDL.

Clur

Post by Clur » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 am

Pete wrote:No trouble last night, but how long we can have the entire of London closing mid afternoon and 16,000 police on the streets, fuck knows.

As an aside, just so I can say I told you so, media very much painting the vigilante groups patrolling Eltham and Enfield last night in a positive manner, when I'm willing to bet a good few of them were EDL.
Reports on twitter were that they were EDL and that there was a lot of racist banter going on. Also heard that they were planning marches today, but I can't find the source for that now - it was reputable.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:56 am

Just had a fairly positive report on them again on Sky. Didn't even feature the Sikhs in Southall who looked far more respectable and placid.

That said, strange how you're willing to take twitter as a source when it's criticising the white English working classes as opposed to anyone of other ethnicity ;)

Clur

Post by Clur » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 am

Pete wrote:Just had a fairly positive report on them again on Sky. Didn't even feature the Sikhs in Southall who looked far more respectable and placid.

That said, strange how you're willing to take twitter as a source when it's criticising the white English working classes as opposed to anyone of other ethnicity ;)
Seen footage of people walking down the street 'chanting england, england' and making racist comments, otherwise I would agree with you. I made that exact point same point to Ed, about white people being unable to defend their own for fear of being labelled as EDL when I first saw the comments on twitter, until I saw the footage. I find that very depressing.

Incidently, if you've seen some of the footage that floating about from Sangat Tv from last night its pretty mad. They were giving police lifts as they reported (and caught 4 guys) and the coverage was very much more inclusive than the mainstream channels. The one of the guardian journalists has made comment about it being excellent and very moving at times, and they aren't wrong.

Brentt

Post by Brentt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 am

But i am against to all these type of work. 8)

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:26 am

Clur wrote:
Pete wrote:Just had a fairly positive report on them again on Sky. Didn't even feature the Sikhs in Southall who looked far more respectable and placid.

Seen footage of people walking down the street 'chanting england, england' and making racist comments, otherwise I would agree with you. I made that exact point same point to Ed, about white people being unable to defend their own for fear of being labelled as EDL when I first saw the comments on twitter, until I saw the footage. I find that very depressing.

Incidently, if you've seen some of the footage that floating about from Sangat Tv from last night its pretty mad. They were giving police lifts as they reported (and caught 4 guys) and the coverage was very much more inclusive than the mainstream channels. The one of the guardian journalists has made comment about it being excellent and very moving at times, and they aren't wrong.
Seen the England chanting, but only saw the racist shouting mentioned on twitter. Link to footage?
Last edited by Pete on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sport Monkey

Post by Sport Monkey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 am

Frank had it right on Twitter earlier/last night: "Forget the cops and fuck the looters. Protect your communities"

It's interesting the thugs in Nottingham packed it in just as the city flooded with 23,000 football fans - shame I'd not thought about making it for the first Nottingham derby in 19 years.

If someone attacked my community I'd be out on the streets, it's a shame people haven't stood up to protect their communities in a lot of areas, there are a small numbers of thugs that could be easily outnumbered. I'd actually argue for once the EDL might do some good - ignore their banter - they're a bunch of violent thugs looking for a fight with what are kids; those kids are going to run.

Also, we'll protest the EDL, but not the thugs - so we'd rather face off real thugs as opposed to bored kiddies without a bedtime?!

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:31 am

Seems the attitude may well be that they're thugs, but they're our thugs. Problem is, if you give their vigilantism any credibility through public approval it's a long and slippery slope.