Non-Frank Gigs

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Matt09H

Post by Matt09H » Wed May 26, 2010 9:59 am

Evan wrote:
Matt09H wrote:
marky mark wrote:So, who's going to the Xtra Mile show(s) this week then?

Can't bloody wait for the show at the Borderline. Quite like that venue. Only hope I can get there from the hospital in time!
Really enjoyed this last night...I thought all 4 acts were great.
We left as Xcerts came on. All In all I was quite let down. I wanted to see Fighting Fiction the band, not just the singer. He didnt even play the fucking single. Annoying.

Crazy Arm was sloppy as anything. The singer guy needs to control his ego and turn down his guitar, as it was all his fault. As soon as he started singing, he playing went out of time, thus killing the song. Plus, why the fuck do you have two guitarists playing exactly the same thing? It was a shame, as I do enjoy them.

Straight Lines on the other hand were excellent. I really really liked them. Not my usual cup of tea, but I was deeply impressed.

I am sure the Xcerts were great, but we wanted to leave as the poor wife is struggling to be out at this point.
I thought Crazy Arm were great...I agree it got a bit messy like you say though. I'll probably go and see them again on Friday at the Garage.

Xcerts were excellent...great to see how happy they were to be playing too. Singer was clearly impressed with the number of people there..

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed May 26, 2010 10:01 am

Matt09H wrote:
Evan wrote:
Matt09H wrote: Really enjoyed this last night...I thought all 4 acts were great.
We left as Xcerts came on. All In all I was quite let down. I wanted to see Fighting Fiction the band, not just the singer. He didnt even play the fucking single. Annoying.

Crazy Arm was sloppy as anything. The singer guy needs to control his ego and turn down his guitar, as it was all his fault. As soon as he started singing, he playing went out of time, thus killing the song. Plus, why the fuck do you have two guitarists playing exactly the same thing? It was a shame, as I do enjoy them.

Straight Lines on the other hand were excellent. I really really liked them. Not my usual cup of tea, but I was deeply impressed.

I am sure the Xcerts were great, but we wanted to leave as the poor wife is struggling to be out at this point.
I thought Crazy Arm were great...I agree it got a bit messy like you say though. I'll probably go and see them again on Friday at the Garage.

Xcerts were excellent...great to see how happy they were to be playing too. Singer was clearly impressed with the number of people there..
Yeah. I think i am done with seeing Crazy Arm to be honest. Really enjoyed them the first time I saw them, but not really since. Do still like the album, but they just don't cut it live for me.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Wed May 26, 2010 10:46 am

My friend went last night and she thought Crazy Arm were fantastic.

marky mark

Post by marky mark » Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Good show in the end.

Shame Fighting Fiction was an acoustic set as I was intruiged to see them after what evan had said, although I still enjoyed the tracks and i'm even more intruiged to see them now.

Crazy Arm were a bit sloppy which is a shame as I love the album and thought they were quite good at the roundhouse. Listened back to the audio I have and it does quite bad at times for their timing.

Straight Lines were great fun again although the vocal were a bit out at times but it didn't affect their set too much. Shame they weren't on for longer though.

Unfortunate that you had to miss the Xcerts though evan as they were so much better than when I saw them at lexapalooza. Surprised at the amount of new material (and the amount of people talking through the set!). Crisis In The Slow Lane sounded fantastic and the downtempo version of Home Versus Home worked really well. And then the encore of Aberdeen 1987 was a perfect finish and the audio of that with the crowd singing along sounds awesome.

Always cool to catchup with you and the missus though evan and even a quick hello with ben and his mate too.

tiffiny

Post by tiffiny » Thu May 27, 2010 3:33 pm

saw laura marling finally the other night. had a hard time focusing on the music because people were yelling at her the whole time and some old guy was videotaping the whole gig. why do other people have to ruin everything?

also the venue had about the worst lighting i've ever seen.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu May 27, 2010 3:35 pm

I still find it hard to believe she has been so successful. That's no slight on her talent at all, it's just, she used to hang out at Nambucca, I never knew she was a musician, so was pretty surprised when she started doing really well. I actually thought she was a photographer. She took the inside live shot on LIS

tiffiny

Post by tiffiny » Thu May 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Evan wrote:I still find it hard to believe she has been so successful. That's no slight on her talent at all, it's just, she used to hang out at Nambucca, I never knew she was a musician, so was pretty surprised when she started doing really well. I actually thought she was a photographer. She took the inside live shot on LIS
ha! I asked frank if he knew her and he told me something similar. I'm pretty sure I first heard her through Noah and the Whale and have obviously never known her as anything but a musician.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu May 27, 2010 3:50 pm

tiffiny wrote:
Evan wrote:I still find it hard to believe she has been so successful. That's no slight on her talent at all, it's just, she used to hang out at Nambucca, I never knew she was a musician, so was pretty surprised when she started doing really well. I actually thought she was a photographer. She took the inside live shot on LIS
ha! I asked frank if he knew her and he told me something similar. I'm pretty sure I first heard her through Noah and the Whale and have obviously never known her as anything but a musician.
Frank told me she was a musician. I was shocked. Doesnt look like she has it in her. Nice girl though

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri May 28, 2010 9:38 am

Just got Grinderman tickets. Hooray! Now all I need to do is figure out if we can actually go.

marky p

Post by marky p » Fri May 28, 2010 10:00 am

Evan wrote:
tiffiny wrote:
Frank told me she was a musician. I was shocked. Doesnt look like she has it in her. Nice girl though
To be fair even when you see her on stage she doesn't look like she has it in her. She is amazing though, totally captivating.
23/10/06 - 5/2/07 – 20/9/07 – 13/12/07 – 23/4/08 - 25/5/08 – 29/10/08 – 28/3/09 – 26/6/09 – 24/3/10

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri May 28, 2010 10:03 am

marky p wrote:
Evan wrote:
tiffiny wrote: ha! I asked frank if he knew her and he told me something similar. I'm pretty sure I first heard her through Noah and the Whale and have obviously never known her as anything but a musician.
To be fair even when you see her on stage she doesn't look like she has it in her. She is amazing though, totally captivating.
I am yet to see her perform. I can't pretend I am even that familiar with her music to be honest. She's on my "must check out properly" list

marky p

Post by marky p » Fri May 28, 2010 10:17 am

Totally worth it..I saw her at the Palladium a couple of weeks ago and afterwards went straight home to buy tickets for her gig in Hyde Park in July, and will also be catching her at Pukkelpop.

I actually missed Frank at Camp Bestival last year to watch her too, which turned out to be a bit of a blunder as she played a set made up almost entirely new material to a pretty non-plussed crowd.
23/10/06 - 5/2/07 – 20/9/07 – 13/12/07 – 23/4/08 - 25/5/08 – 29/10/08 – 28/3/09 – 26/6/09 – 24/3/10

Norris

Post by Norris » Fri May 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Dot To Dot day festival in Bristol tomorrow. Distinctly underwhelmed by the lineup, but I've got a ticket so...

Planning on seeing (in order): Wax Fang, Blood Red Shoes, Wild Beasts, Islet, Sky Larkin, Villagers, Jakwob.

Full lineup can be found here http://www.dottodotfestival.co.uk/bristollineup2010.htm, anyone got any recommendations?

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Fri May 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Norris wrote:Dot To Dot day festival in Bristol tomorrow. Distinctly underwhelmed by the lineup, but I've got a ticket so...

Planning on seeing (in order): Wax Fang, Blood Red Shoes, Wild Beasts, Islet, Sky Larkin, Villagers, Jakwob.

Full lineup can be found here http://www.dottodotfestival.co.uk/bristollineup2010.htm, anyone got any recommendations?
Los Campesinos! are supposed to put on a good live show, can't say I'm too familiar with much (any) of their stuff though so don't take my word for it.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Fri May 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Evan wrote:Just got Grinderman tickets.
Me too!
Norris wrote:Dot To Dot day festival in Bristol tomorrow. Distinctly underwhelmed by the lineup, but I've got a ticket so...

I'm going to the Nottingham one. Hoping to catch Mystery Jets, Eighties Matchbox, Dead Confederate, Black Light Parade, Lunar Youth, Goldheart Assembly and Johnny Foreigner.