mrdh

Maths lesson

Post by mrdh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:58 am

Teaching transformations of functions using The Road:

http://youtu.be/JmhBAWjm0GE

agirlnamedfred

Re: Maths lesson

Post by agirlnamedfred » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:52 pm

I finally got a chance to watch on my PC. Very cool! I especially love the part at the end. Your kids seemed really engaged. Impressive.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

mrdh

Post by mrdh » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:17 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:I finally got a chance to watch on my PC. Very cool! I especially love the part at the end. Your kids seemed really engaged. Impressive.
Thanks - it's an Arts Fest couple of days we have. All subjects are encouraged to run an arts related workshop. I got a mixture of 10 and 15 year olds. Funny thing is even the younger ones were able to do follow the functions at the end - even when they didn't have the graphs to look at

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:49 pm

I have been on a thought journey related to education in the last few years (since becoming a parent, naturally). I'm very curious about education in other places (I am from Tennessee in the US; TN is considered to have some of the worst education in the country). My daughter goes to Montessori and I think it will be best for her and us as long as possible (age 4 now), but I am always curious what goes on in other countries with education systems considered to be successful.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

mrdh

Post by mrdh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:06 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:I have been on a thought journey related to education in the last few years (since becoming a parent, naturally). I'm very curious about education in other places (I am from Tennessee in the US; TN is considered to have some of the worst education in the country). My daughter goes to Montessori and I think it will be best for her and us as long as possible (age 4 now), but I am always curious what goes on in other countries with education systems considered to be successful.
We follow the International Baccalaureate programmes - Elementary school would be the PYP - you can read about it here: http://ibo.org/pyp/

I am sure you can find good committed teachers in Tennessee - and personally I think the teacher is far more important than "the system". Coincidentally I am going to be in the Tennessee area in about a week - visiting a family member at Fort Campbell.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Yes, Ft Campbell is very close. Let me know if you need any suggestions for things to do in Nashville if you head our way.

The IB program you linked to sounds interesting. I will look into it more. At the moment I am heading towards "child as teacher" ideals. Our state run "public" schools (my understanding is that phrase has a much different meaning in the UK) are troublesome as the teachers' hands are very tied by curricula and fears about parental complaints. Things seem to be getting worse in terms of standardized curricula rather than better.

mrdh

Post by mrdh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:59 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:Yes, Ft Campbell is very close. Let me know if you need any suggestions for things to do in Nashville if you head our way.

The IB program you linked to sounds interesting. I will look into it more. At the moment I am heading towards "child as teacher" ideals. Our state run "public" schools (my understanding is that phrase has a much different meaning in the UK) are troublesome as the teachers' hands are very tied by curricula and fears about parental complaints. Things seem to be getting worse in terms of standardized curricula rather than better.
Thanks for the offer of suggestions - but we are in the hands of our niece for four days. I expect she will have things planned.

There are pros and cons to standardized curricula - at least you and the teachers know what the children should be taught but it may not leave a lot of room for flexibility. With the IB programmes the Diploma for grades 11 and 12 has a content to be followed and a lot of assessment is examination based. The MYP for grades 6 to 10 has a course outline with suggestions for content but individual schools put together their own assessment but this should not simply be test. In maths for example we are expected to have investigations and modelling. In the PYP (The age group you are probably most interested in) the students explore a "theme" for a unit of work. Individual schools choose their own themes (I don't know a lot about this as I do not teach this age group - although both my children went through the IB), The aim I believe is to make the learning relevant for the students. This doesn't mean that they don't have traditional maths and English lessons as well but the idea is that it is all put into context. Anyway I am not an expert and someone might put me right on this. There are a few PYP schools in TN - you could always ask to visit them to see what they are like:

United States Balmoral Ridgeway Elementary
5905 Grosvenor Avenue, Memphis Primary Years Programme

United States Brown International Academy
718 East 8th Street, Chattanooga Primary Years Programme

United States Eakin Elementary School
2500 Fairfax Avenue, Nashville Primary Years Programme

United States Julia Green Elementary School
3500 Hobbs Road, Nashville Primary Years Programme

United States Oak Forest Elementary
7440 Nonconnah View Cove, Memphis

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Interestingly enough, there is a boy in my neighborhood who attends one of the schools you mentioned, though we are not zoned for it. I forget the story of how he gets to attend, but his parents were very positive about the school. They seemed most positive about the administration; I don't remember them mentioning curriculum, but Inwill ask next time I see them. I don't know if the school has much influence on it or not but the boy and his sister, who also attended, are really thoughtful young people. I love for my little one to spend time with them because they are very inclusive of her despite her being younger, and in the case of the boy, he includes her even when playing with older boys he is trying to impress.

mrdh

Post by mrdh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:04 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:Interestingly enough, there is a boy in my neighborhood who attends one of the schools you mentioned, though we are not zoned for it. I forget the story of how he gets to attend, but his parents were very positive about the school. They seemed most positive about the administration; I don't remember them mentioning curriculum, but Inwill ask next time I see them. I don't know if the school has much influence on it or not but the boy and his sister, who also attended, are really thoughtful young people. I love for my little one to spend time with them because they are very inclusive of her despite her being younger, and in the case of the boy, he includes her even when playing with older boys he is trying to impress.
Sounds like you can get some information from the neighbours - I hope it works out for you. But I still think a lot of it comes down to the actual teacher rather than the system. There are good (and poor) teachers everywhere.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:33 pm

It won't work out for my family because we aren't zoned for those schools, even if it turned out to be a good choice for our family. We have the option of the public school we are zoned for (which perform very poorly in my area), a public school "magnet" that are filled years in advance by lottery and we were 4th on the wait list with no call back, or private school we pay for, which is our choice, or home education which isn't a good option for us as we can't afford for me to stay home. But I do really enjoy your insight, so thanks!

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi, crazy American education person here again :). Hope you get a notification and can help.

Do you by chance know anything about Cambridge International Examinations? The only info I can really find is from the company's website trying to sell a product. I have had people tell me it is very similar to IB (which I understand is very hands on), and I've had people tell me it is the opposite.

I applied to all the optional schools I could for my daughter for kindergarten, and she got into one that has applied to be a Cambridge Primary school. I do understand it is affiliated with the university.

Thanks!

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Hey there:

I am feeling your pain with these decisions. Not as teacher, but as a parent. We are also zoned for a woefully "underachieving" school. So for the past 12 years, I have had to apply to magnet schools, or write pitiful letters applying for zoning exceptions. We never went to our zoned school, and my kids and I are not the home school type. My extremely gifted daughter did Cambridge in the early years, but switched to IB for high school. Many motivated, dedicated kids do great with the extremely demanding IB workload, but not mine. She was miserable because she had no time for her music. She ended up dropping IB and went into early college enrollment which she LOVES, and will have an A.A. degree when she graduates high school (for free). My son did standard classes, loves playing varsity baseball, and is doing well.

The point is, that there are a lot of ways to accomplish a child's education, but I think the key is to be INVOLVED. Your child will be successful with the support you will provide. I would also say, try not to stress too much. Now it seems like life and death decisions, but changes can often be made, and it seems to sort out.

Best wishes! Darlene
shows? 90 so far...

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Darlene!!! You're a lifesaver!

Tell me, please, what Cambridge is like at primary level. What kind of learner does it best suit? Is it didactic or hands on? Etc etc etc.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:36 pm

I have a feeling there is a bit of variation among the schools as to how they achieve the Cambridge standards.

Our particular school was a minority school with a Cambridge magnet, thus enticing a more diverse population. Kind of a school within a school. But the classes were the same my son (in average classes) took, but moved along at a much accelerated pace. She seemed to have a few extra cool projects/field trips. So I had my daughter at the Cambridge magnet, but her twin brother I didn't want there in the normal school, so I got an exception for a "better" school. Ha, so I had twins in separate schools!

So, I guess I would say, for our school, cambridge wasn't overly special, just faster paced academics. The high school level involved the special Exams and such.

Good luck!
shows? 90 so far...