I tried this at home

A place for your creative output - music, photos, videos, poetry, whatever

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

romain

Re: I tried this at home

Post by romain » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Almost three years after I started this topic I am amazed it is still (more or less) alive and people keep on posting their sound. Frank fans are definitely artists!

Having just started a new project myself, I thought this might be a nice place to talk about it and get some feedback. You can check this new project at this address: https://soundcloud.com/cowboy_and_indians.

Hope you like it!

Cheers from France,

Romain.
581, 832, 1151, 1209, 1462.
https://soundcloud.com/theescapistband

lordzden

Post by lordzden » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Practice makes perfect

BigEgg

Post by BigEgg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Thought I would post this in here!

I'm in a band called Termite. We're based in Huddersfield/Manchester and we just put out a new E.P called "Growth".

We are kind of psychedelic, mixing some classic prog influences with space rock and jazz. Basically we just like creating a good mood. Our main influences are The Beatles, King Crimson, Oceansize, Tame Impala, Pink Floyd, Fleet Foxes - all that kind of thing.

The E.P is available to download on a pay-what-you-like basis from our Bandcamp and has been given the following reviews:

'[Growth] draws you into both the sounds and the lyrics with a near hypnotic feel" - Keep Music Live

"An exuberant crescendo of noise...roller coaster...in all senses of the words" - MusicMafia

It would be great if you could give it a listen and let me know what you think,

Cheers!

Sam
Termite Facebook
Lets not settle for satisfaction, we are women and men of action.

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:16 am

I did my second ever open mic last night. I had a whole 10 minute slot, so did Tattoos and Warriors by JL&TSS. It went...alright. I fucked up tattoos because some tit in the audience made me laugh halfway through the first verse. I got a good cheer though, especially for the "well yeah, fuckin' right" lines in warriors. All good fun!
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.
Gigs: Wembley, Oxford, London forum.

Owen

Re:

Post by Owen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:55 pm

aza484 wrote:Nice song! I like it!

I actually started a thread like this before but it didn't get as much of a reaction, probably because now there's a lot of new faces round these parts now!

I'd quite like to get people's opinions of my song 'False Start', which is on here:
http://www.myspace.com/arranoakesmusic

Recorded it (and a couple of others) in my mate's bedroom studio. Let me know what you think!
I may be 3 years late, but just casually browsing the forum, and I really really like this song Arran, it's got that Frank Turner/Ben Marwood vibe 100%, it wouldn't be out of place on a Ben Marwood album. I seriously hope you're still making music, get on YouTube mate, can't praise you enough! :)

harrygump

Post by harrygump » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:34 pm

i wrote a song called "by my side", it's kind a love song to rock'n roll and punkrock music, and i thought it would be a nice idea to make a video clip with lots of people showing their favourite song quotes.
i also asked frank and he joined in, you can see him with a bob dylan quote in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXD2SGZWjkw

if you like the song, you can download the whole EP for free here: http://rockenburg.wordpress.com/harry-g ... b-ep-2012/ or visit me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/harrygump77

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:48 pm

So tonight was my third ever open mic. I bashed out the boat song by Jim Lockey and I still believe by Frank. I actually managed to get the crowd singing the I still believe's and was so surprised that I forgot the bloody words for the last one ( that everyone can find a song etc...) The crowd all enjoyed it though so no matter. I'm going to have to start printing the words out if I can't keep them inside my head. I mean, for fucks sake I've been playing and singing ISB for about 2 years now. I know the bloody words, so why do they fall out of my head when I'm in front of a crowd? Got another one tomorrow for the local primary school PTA.
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 pm

DP ....Which went a fucking treat! Didn't forget any words (did boat song, tattoos and ISB again) got the crowd singing and then had several total randoms come and see me in the lighting booth ( I was driving the desk) to tell me how much they enjoyed my 3 songs! Also got compared to Billy Bragg more than once which I think is a good thing? So... what's next? Charity open mic at the end of the month I think. :mrgreen:

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Hello! Am a very very novice guitarist; really beginner and I was wondering what the easiest Frank song to attempt to play would be. I play the flute and piano but just can't get to grips with the guitar; I'm hoping that a good song will give me the motivation to play guitar a bit better...

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Wrong way around dude. Which is your favourite song? Find it on ultimate-guitar.com or ask on here for the chords or tab. Lots of us play and some of us (Granty2k12) write tabs and we're all vaguely friendly.

smithyramfan

Post by smithyramfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 am

BigEgg wrote:Thought I would post this in here!

I'm in a band called Termite. We're based in Huddersfield/Manchester and we just put out a new E.P called "Growth".

We are kind of psychedelic, mixing some classic prog influences with space rock and jazz. Basically we just like creating a good mood. Our main influences are The Beatles, King Crimson, Oceansize, Tame Impala, Pink Floyd, Fleet Foxes - all that kind of thing.

The E.P is available to download on a pay-what-you-like basis from our Bandcamp and has been given the following reviews:

'[Growth] draws you into both the sounds and the lyrics with a near hypnotic feel" - Keep Music Live

"An exuberant crescendo of noise...roller coaster...in all senses of the words" - MusicMafia

Cheers!

Sam
Termite Facebook
I downloaded Growth a while back after Oxygen Thief mentioned it on twitter. Really enjoyed it :)
crap at dancing and can't hold my drink...
Shows: Lincoln 24/11/12, Nottingham 09/02/14, Y Not Festival 03/08/14

BigEgg

Post by BigEgg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:32 pm

smithyramfan wrote:
BigEgg wrote:Thought I would post this in here!

Cheers!

Sam
Termite Facebook
I downloaded Growth a while back after Oxygen Thief mentioned it on twitter. Really enjoyed it :)
Oh awesome! Glad you enjoyed it :) Got some decent reviews of it now, just want to head out and tour with it!
Lets not settle for satisfaction, we are women and men of action.

TheOneWorthLeaving

Post by TheOneWorthLeaving » Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 pm

First experimental attempt at writing a spoken word piece, live first take with one mic in my bedroom. Might as well post it, doubt anyone will listen though. Hope you enjoy if you do. Feedbak appreciated but not expected. https://soundcloud.com/rob-chapman-music/one-last-song

WillCurry

Post by WillCurry » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:23 am

Hey guys

I'm a solo artist currently living in cornwall and berkshire (it's a weird alternating thing). I've been working the open mic circuits in Falmouth and Reading pretty hard for the last year or so and I thought I'd post up some of my songs and such. All feedback is appreciated however negative it may be. There's a Sailor's Boots cover from a small festival on the youtube as well if anyone fancies a ganders at that.
https://soundcloud.com/william-curry-1
http://www.youtube.com/user/williamcurrymusic

ealswitha

Post by ealswitha » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:18 pm

http://www.facebook.com/ealswitha

My sister and I have released an EP entitled Townes Van Zandt Saved Your Life. It was recorded in squat in Bristol on a budget of a packet of fags. It deals with issues of rural poverty, bankruptcy, death and addiction. As serious as that is, we try and do it with a smile on our face and would adore your help in putting out something we can be proud of.

We grew up as Punk Rock kids and were into bands like Bad Religion, Fungazi, the Descendents as well as lighter stuff like the Police and Green Day. As we've got a bit older we moved with the folk revival and as such folks like Frank Turner and Seth Lakeman have been big influences on us - while maintaining some of the angst and foundations of punk rock. Being from rural hampshire all these influences have a somewhat very English twist to them all; while both my sister and I harbour rigidly anti establishment political views that are more sincere, lived out and nuanced than much of the spray on politics that artists are taught to be proponents of. I would absolutely adore it if you guys could share our music around, like us on facebook and generally show us some love.

Thanks you for your time.
William and Francesca
Ealswitha

http://open.spotify.com/track/2FFHc8RvmI9OPL80dQ8sgT