Top 10 Favorite Songs

A place to discuss tabs, lyrics, and more

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

greezy

Top 10 Favorite Songs

Post by greezy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:31 pm

When people are asked to name their favorite book, they most often name something far off the radar of most every Lunchbox Johnny, lest they be seen as a shallow idiot. I'm not sure why but their first reflex is to spit out something either esoteric or of great importance...."The History of Angolian Mushrooms" or "War and Peace". Heck, mine is "The Catcher in the Rye". I've checked it out so many times from the library, I'm probably on some government watchlist. That being said, here are my drop-dead, pan-ultimate, tippy-top 10 most favorite-est songs. *ahem*

1) The Broad Majestic Shannon - The Pogues - I've got to give him his propers. Back in the day, Shane could really write a bitter-sweet tearjerker.

2) Miss Ferguson - Cory Branan - "She come 'round midnight like a Sunday afternoon with a purpose and a manner like a needle and a spoon. Bad thing waitin' to happen like a lake of gasoline. Lord way that woman does me is like nothin' I've ever seen..." Wouldn't you like to meet a woman like this? By the way, Frank just covered his song, "The Corner".

3) In the Basement (Part One) - Etta James - "There's no cover charge or fee and the food and drink are free....in the basement."

4) Beast of Burden - The Stones - Possibly the most sweetly romantic song ever.

5) Pineola - Lucinda Williams - If you've ever been in this situation, you want to punch someone but you're not sure who.

6) Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy - A girl from a town about 30 minutes west of my home town. She worked at greenhouse. I bought tons of bonsai seedlings there. I wonder if she made on for me.

7) The Sweetest Drop - Peter Murphy - They used to play this song on the radio in a far-off land called The 80's. I was always mezmorized when it came on.

8 Mr. DJ (Five for the DJ) - Aretha - Sing along with Ree!

9) Ode to Billy Joe - Sinead O'Connor - What did they throw off that pesky bridge?

10) Rag and Bone - The White Stripes - Neat song with a cool blues lick.

Also rans: "The House That Jack Built"- Aretha, "Always Love" Nada Surf, "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome..." Dylan "Reason to Believe", "Racing in the Street", "Atlantic City" Springsteen, "I'm Ready" Muddy Waters. Both Virtuté the cat songs, "No Woman No Cry" - Bob, "Rocket 88" - James Cotton version, "How a Resurrection Really Feels" - The Hold Steady...Holly was a hoodrat. Now you finally know that.
Relax. This won't hurt.

DieselBenz

Re: Top 10 Favorite Songs

Post by DieselBenz » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:14 am

Tough one because it's hard to compare something I've loved since I was 7 to something that came out two years ago, but I'll have a go. Sure I'm forgetting something.
1. Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd - Easy one. This is to me the best song ever written. I have probably listened to this song more than any other song in my life, and still every time it gives me an emotion unlike anything.
2. Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd - I could probably make this list solid Floyd but I'll try to be more diverse. Could not leave this one off though.
3. Unintended, Muse - This one was kind of my drug for a while and still means a lot to me.
4. A Bad Dream, Keane - Fantastic sad song, based on one of my favorite poems.
5. The Scientist, Coldplay - Another great sad song that got me through a lot. Spoiler alert now, there are no happy songs on this list.
Once past five I'm sort of shaky on the order, so a bit random:
6. Eleanor Rigby/Nowhere Man, The Beatles - I'm going to cheat and put these as a tie, even though ER is really my top Beatles song. Both of these were my favorites on Yellow Submarine as a kid and I have such fond memories of watching that movie and particularly being attached to the scenes that went with those songs.
7. Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley - Probably on lots of people's lists but there's a reason for it. I like Cohen's original but Buckley hit it out of the park.
8. Goodbye My Lover, James Blunt - Watching him do this live in 2011 is among my top concert moments and most I've ever cried at a concert. For someone who's played this song hundreds of times, he sure sings it with raw emotion. Moving as anything.
9. Jet Lag, Frank Turner - This one and Longing For The Day grabbed me early in my discovery of Frank and they never let go.
10. Love Is A Laserquest, Arctic Monkeys - Only got into AM a couple years ago or this might be higher ... an instant favorite.
Some other stuff: Pink Floyd's Poles Apart, The Final Cut, Mother, Hey You, Shine On You Crazy Diamond and more; Keane's Everybody's Changing; Coldplay's Trouble; The National's Pink Rabbits, Santa Clara and About Today; Pancho and Lefty (I grew up on Emmylou Harris' version); Muse's Citizen Erased and Time Is Running Out. I can't help but feel like I'm missing something huge, but I'll come back and edit later when I figure it out.
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18

Kplusc

Post by Kplusc » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:48 pm

I'm not sure about the rankings, but here's mine :

I didn't put any classical music songs, films scores nor any Jacques Brel songs - Because I consider them to be apart...

VAYA CON DIOS - Just a friend of mine
AEROSMITH - Kings and queens
FRANK TURNER - Song for eva mae
PINK FLOYD - Shine on your crazy diamond
SOCIAL DISTORTION - Story of my life
BARONESS - Steel that sleeps the eyes
BOB DYLAN - Tomorrow is a long time
PEARL JAM - Yellow ledbetter
MAMAS AND PAPAS - California dreamin'
RANCID - As wicked
MONSTER MAGNET - Nod scene

Others :
Elvis Presley - The Wonder of you
Kyuss - Gardenia
Death angel - Voracious souls
Guns'n roses - Estranged
Backyard Babies - Look at you
Hanoï rocks - No compromise, no regrets.
Hardcore superstar - She's offbeat
Johnny Cash - Ghost riders in the sky

greezy

Post by greezy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Cool lists. My point is that we like what we like. If we forget to worry about what others think, we can have a good time.

Kplusc, have you listened to the Milkmen's "Punk Rock Girl" really, really hard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyaK3jo4Sl4

I'm proud to say I've been to Zipperhead...and Commander Salamander...
Relax. This won't hurt.

Kplusc

Post by Kplusc » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:50 am

greezy wrote:Cool lists. My point is that we like what we like. If we forget to worry about what others think, we can have a good time.

Kplusc, have you listened to the Milkmen's "Punk Rock Girl" really, really hard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyaK3jo4Sl4

I'm proud to say I've been to Zipperhead...and Commander Salamander...

Never heard of them before. Cool song.thanks

Have you listen to that one really hard? This song is one of the anthems of my teenagehood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4zZGqrPwU

greezy

Post by greezy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Wow. Haven't heard them before. Awesome. I'm into greasy rock like that. Thanks.
Relax. This won't hurt.