Your first cry to a FT song

A place to discuss tabs, lyrics, and more

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

mehguitarer

Your first cry to a FT song

Post by mehguitarer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:19 am

Lets celebrate crying!!! haha hopefully this isn't as dumb of a topic as I think it may turn out to be .

For me it was I am disappeared. I don't know it just hit me like a train, I wasn't even sobbing really the tears just kept running and running.
I laughed at myself afterwards, I was quite impressed on how much "tear substance" could come out of my eyeballs :)

darlenet.

Re: Your first cry to a FT song

Post by darlenet. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:48 am

Well, the most crying for me was Tell Tale Signs. But the first was Faithful Son.
shows? 58 so far

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:38 am

Long Live The Queen. She was my friend too. I have only recently been able to not cry when I hear it. It still gets me though.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Sivvy

Post by Sivvy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Nice to know it's not just me that FT routinely reduces to a sobbing wreck (the terrible bastard).

Long Live the Queen was the first to have this effect, but more recently Polaroid Picture manages to get me every single time. Being constantly aware of the finite time we have, and how fleeting and transient special moments can be . . . it just . . . you know . . . oh god, is someone chopping onions in here? Excuse me a minute . . . *runs off to sob*

mehguitarer

Post by mehguitarer » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:00 am

Yea Polaroid picture is a close second damn that song messes me up. Hearing the audience echo that chorus. :'(

DavidPorges

Post by DavidPorges » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:54 am

Polaroid Picture/I Am Disappeared

NotTheInkfish

Post by NotTheInkfish » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Suprised that Balthazar Impresario hasn't been named yet.

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Long live the queen. I remember so clearly when I first heard that song. Even though it isn't mentioned I instantly associated it with cancer. It's always reminded me of my nan. I got this tattoo to combine both songs that make me think of her

"Age is no object if you're in love.

Oh shit what have I just said?"

frank turner, Birmingham, 18th November 2015

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:48 pm

darlenet. wrote:Well, the most crying for me was Tell Tale Signs. But the first was Faithful Son.
To elaborate, because, well, I tend to go on a bit. The specific lines that set me off:

Faithful Son: "Father, oh dear father,
I’m not trying to reject the values that you held like winning cards up to your chest.
And I can’t just do the things you wished you’d done,
but I still remain your faithful only son.

Tell Tale Signs: "You know you kind of remind me of scars on my arms that I hid as best I could,
That I covered with ink, but in the right kind of light they still bleed through,
Showing that there are some things I just can't change no matter what I do:
"
shows? 58 so far

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:46 am

Anymore was the first cry (don't worry, not cracking open that can of worms on this forum again).

Can't get through it or Redemption (especially when the latter is live). Nights Become Days, Polaroid Picture, and I Am Disappeared at times as well. And although it's technically an MD song, the FT&SS live cover of Smiling At Strangers On Trains.
*sniff*
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

trogette

Post by trogette » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:35 pm

I Am Disappeared, yeah, bawlorama, also I sometimes have a sentimental tear at Eva Mae, but that's what being a mawkish mum does

DieselBenz

Post by DieselBenz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:34 am

I might have been crying when he first came out for Eulogy at Leeds Festival 2011; that crowd was brutal. :wink:

Seriously though, I'm fairly sure my first FT cry would have been Jet Lag. That one just hit me in the gut from the start and consequently ended up being my favorite and still is.

Biggest cry was probably Longing for the Day ... and there's a very long story behind that involving mountains, October snowstorms and a busted windshield wiper motor, but I'll save that for another thread (if anyone ever starts a "failed road trips" thread).

Must Try Harder and Journey of the Magi have seen a lot of my tears. Tell Tale Signs, Worse Things Happen at Sea ... he's got a lot of good criers, and I put them to good cathartic use.
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18

trogette

Post by trogette » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:13 pm

DieselBenz wrote:I might have been crying when he first came out for Eulogy at Leeds Festival 2011; that crowd was brutal. :wink:
Ha! Yeah, right after Shikari... think I was picking mud out of my hair from people dragged out over my head...

ness w

Post by ness w » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:20 am

I can't remember my first ever cry to a Frank Turner song because my following Frank has coincided with the collapse of my 25 year marriage and a struggle to regain some sort of control and happiness in my life. His songs have helped me with that massively and I have cried often; I would thank him with all my heart if I could for the healing.

Last night in Hull he played a new song called, I think, "Rescue Annie". He told the story behind it and I did find myself unexpectedly crying at that.....there's a few emotional songs in the new crop, I think.

I'm glad of the warts and all honesty in all of Frank's work. Sometimes I think that he, with a bit of help front Newton Faulkner, Martha Wainwright and The Editors, actually saved my life. I am sure that's true for many people and I hope Frank's proud :)

ness w

Post by ness w » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:25 am

....but the one that gets me most, and my kids I'm sorry to say, is the live recording of Father's Day. But Poetry of the Deed makes it better :) "Life is too short to live without poetry".....Damn right it is.