Hardcore punk recommendations

A place to discuss tabs, lyrics, and more

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

mehguitarer

Hardcore punk recommendations

Post by mehguitarer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:43 am

Hey all, I've been diving into the punk scene as of late. I've been only listening to Minor Threat really. I'm really digging them. How about some other bands? No pop punk like green day just the hardcore shit. thanks guys. P.S. no need to mention Black Flag, I don't know, Henry's voice just doesn't do it for me. Like he can't fully express himself or something, maybe im listening to it wrong. Thanks !!!

frank
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore punk recommendations

Post by frank » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:45 am

Sick of it all
Gorilla biscuits
Youth of today
Flipper
Discharge

That should get you started.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Shwee

Post by Shwee » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:04 pm

frank wrote:Sick of it all
Gorilla biscuits
Youth of today
Flipper
Discharge

You sir, are fucking awesome.

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:39 am

frank wrote:Sick of it all
Gorilla biscuits
Youth of today
Flipper
Discharge

Flipper? Really?

I would also suggest that you can't really go wrong with a Agnostic Front (although the more recent albums aren't entirely to my taste, but they certainly have a very definite sound). United Blood EP and Victim in Pain are essential.

I currently really like Negative Approach very much. The Total Recall compilation is all you need.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 pm

7 Seconds - all the pop punk bands owe Kevin/Troy/Steve/Bobbyandothers a debt of gratitude for showing how its done. But 7 Seconds does it with more heart and sXe, if that is your cup of tea. The Descendents also fit this description, minus the sXe deal.

MDC - If you like politics in your music, you will love MDC. An incredibly intense band, reflected in the messages put forth in the songs. "I Remember" is one of my all time favorites from the genre. Most remembered for "John Wayne Was a Nazi"

Black Flag - (the first 2 of the first 4 years...I don't like Henry's voice either). Go to hear "Fix Me" as originally done and stay for "Jealous Again" and "Nervous Breakdown"

OFF! - Yeah, a later offshoot of a hardcore legend and a fantastic band. Not the most DIY hardcore you will find, but Keith Morris is that good

Circle Jerks - Because the Circle Jerks are that good

Minutemen - Not classic hardcore sound, but a major part of the 80's US scene. But "Double Nickels on the Dime" should be owned by everyone.

There are some other "obvious" or starter bands worth the time, like Dead Kennedys, Adolescents, Agent Orange, Bad Religion. Other personal favorites are The Dicks, Youth Brigade (CA version), Scream,

thepriceofreality

Post by thepriceofreality » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:34 am

hot snakes.

dont think you can call them a hardcore band, but they're definitely punk, and they're great!

start off with LAX - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3CbY2_QL_M

also, check out METZ, bad brains and joanna gruesome

:)