Harmonica tab? SOS!

A place to discuss tabs, lyrics, and more

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

WillLye

Harmonica tab? SOS!

Post by WillLye » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:00 am

I'm in the studio like very soon to record "I still believe" but as I'm the only one who owns a harmonica I need to play the harmonica bit, basically I've only ever used guitar tab. Is there harmonica tab? I'm guessing you just blow and suck (no pun) to what the tab says. Would really application any help, I'm so used to 6/12 strings this instrument really boggles my mind!!
Any harmonica veterans out there please help me, much appreciated!
William Lye

Venomous_Bear

Re: Harmonica tab? SOS!

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:07 am

It's actually...shit. I swear it was online. But basically...get one in the key of C (seriously, less than $5 and your life will be 1000x easier), and then it's something like:
8____ -6 6 -6 5_____ -6 6 -6 8_____ -6 5 -5 4_____ -4 4 -3 3 -3 5 -5 7 -7 9 -9 9
If you've never played, quick tutorial:
- left hand should look like an alligator, noming the harmonica (should be snug right into the webbing between your index finger and thumb). Right hand goes in front like a wee cup to make vibrato and shiz
- you might find it a hell of a lot easier to tilt the harmonica down at a bit of an angle...sounds better when I play, anyway! Hahaha
- for the tab, anything without a "-" in front of it is blowing, anything with a "-" is not
Good luck! Just listen to the song and play along a few times and all will be fine.
Last edited by Venomous_Bear on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:49 am

Failing that, wing it, like when it is played live.

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 am

Blonde wrote:Failing that, wing it, like when it is played live.
This. I doubt Frank played the solo the same twice recording the record. It's a freestyle type affair.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

WillLye

Post by WillLye » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Mine has two rows of holes on? What's this all about! Thanks for the help :)
William Lye

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:13 pm

WillLye wrote:Mine has two rows of holes on? What's this all about! Thanks for the help :)
Like I said, it'll be MUCH easier if you spend $5 and get one in the key of C. Seriously. Then you literally cannot play a note that will clash with the song (the secret of how Frank called randoms onstage in the past to play...sorry for shattering the illusion). It will only have one row of 10 holes, and be about 1,000x easier to play. Huzzah!!

And yes yes, it's different every time, but that's the recorded version. :wink:
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Venomous_Bear wrote:
WillLye wrote:Mine has two rows of holes on? What's this all about! Thanks for the help :)
Like I said, it'll be MUCH easier if you spend $5 and get one in the key of C. Seriously. Then you literally cannot play a note that will clash with the song (the secret of how Frank called randoms onstage in the past to play...sorry for shattering the illusion).
This is true. Hence my ability to play it live on Radio 1 without hitting a bum note
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

WillLye

Post by WillLye » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:26 pm

What if I don't have time to get a one strip one? Whats the tab for a two strip, i literally have no idea how the tab works for a two strip sorry I'm being such a nuisance just the harmonica is a blur to me. Thanks :D
William Lye

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:05 pm

WillLye wrote:What if I don't have time to get a one strip one? Whats the tab for a two strip, i literally have no idea how the tab works for a two strip sorry I'm being such a nuisance just the harmonica is a blur to me. Thanks :D
The guy who is telling you to get one in C sounds like he knows what he's doing so just get one!

Or just do a song without a harmonica?
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

WillLye

Post by WillLye » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:00 pm

I got one! Hurray :) thanks for the help. Will start learning it. Thanks
William Lye