Richard Thompson (Gloom and Doom From The Tomb)

A place to discuss tabs, lyrics, and more

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Peter T.

Richard Thompson (Gloom and Doom From The Tomb)

Post by Peter T. » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XROMXqCtvsE
I had the good fortune to see Richard Thompson for the second time recently. It's hard to think of someone else who combines a haunting, world-weary voice, with such dark lyrics, ... and then there's the masterful, almost peerless guitar playing.
I'm not a RT fanatic, and some of his stuff just doesn't resonate with him, perhaps it's a bit too folky in a traditional Celtic/English kind of way, but many of his songs are simply magnificent.
If you're looking to expand your listening, I heartily recommend:
1952 Vincent Black Lightning (link provided above)
Wall of Death
I Feel So Good
Tear Stained Letter
Shoot Out The Lights
Valerie
I Can't Wake Up To Save My Life
Beeswing (yes, he does have his quieter, sweeter moments)
The internet is chock full of "best of" lists related to RT, so don't rely only on my tastes. The Doom and Gloom From The Tomb reference relates to some fan-circulated tapes put out my RT fanatics. They've got his dark ways pegged accurately!

Sivvy

Re: Richard Thompson (Gloom and Doom From The Tomb)

Post by Sivvy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:44 am

I saw Richard Thompson a few years ago playing his '1000 Years of Popular Music' show - a really fascinating project and well worth checking out if you have any interest in the history of music.

He's undoubtedly a phenomenal songwriter and musician, although his rapport with the audience was somewhat lacking, and he didn't seem to be enjoying himself onstage much. To be fair to him though, Loudon Wainwright was opening the show - I've seen him live a gazillion times and (with the notable exception of FT) I've never seen anyone so good at breaking down the barriers between performer and audience, so the bar was set ridiculously high.

You've inspired me to go and dust off my Richard Thompson collection now . . . he really is the master of dark lyrics (Cold Kisses is always a particular favourite of mine).