Disabled Access at Venues

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

jac185

Disabled Access at Venues

Post by jac185 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Hey Frank

I know this isn't your responsibility in any way, but do you ever look into disabled access of venues you are playing? I was just wondering how aware artists are of things like that.

I ask because people such as yourself and Sleaford Mods (both of whom I have a lot of respect for) often talk up Nottingham Rock City as a venue - when their disabled access is frankly pretty appalling. And in my experience the staff's attitudes towards it isn't always particularly sympathetic either (had a member of staff on the phone laugh when I asked about a platform, had another mime pushing my wheelchair down the stairs at the back of the stage etc)

I appreciate it's a tricky thing for venues, especially independent venues, to start working on if it's not something that was taken into account when the venue was initially put together, and I'm certainly not holding you to account in any way, but it's something I've not seen a lot of conversations about and is something I would hope to start seeing an improvement in.

All the best

frank
Site Admin

Re: Disabled Access at Venues

Post by frank » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi there. I do a fair bit of work with Able2UK and always work to make shows as disabled-friendly as possible. NRC have always been great with disabled fans at my shows in my experience, one of the reasons I love the place.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

BDBROWN5

Post by BDBROWN5 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi Frank

Emailed you last year after a show in Nottingham about this. Thanks for all the work you do as it seems ( in my experience) to be an area which is largely ignored by other artists.

As someone with physical disability your shows do cater to this sort of thing better than most, plus your crowds are fucking lovely when I explain my situation.

Cheers man here's to show 2000 back in notts!

jazzyjools

Post by jazzyjools » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 pm

I spoke to the manager at Rock City about disabled access and they admitted as a standing only venue that all they could offer was early access into the venue and a stool to sit on because as a result of my badly broken and dislocated leg last year I can no longer stand for a gig.

I have to say the security guard I spoke to on arrival found me a stool to sit on and found me a space.

I went the week after to the Leadmill and although they had a 'platform' the stools were impossible to sit on comfortably and my friend fell off of hers into the sound decks! I was so pleased it wasn't me!!