Brexit

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Kerr

Re: Brexit

Post by Kerr » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:24 pm

You just need to spend a little time listening and reading the reasons why people voted to realise that my opinion isn't condescending.

Part of the reason so many people have deemed the vote highlights the racism/xenophobia in this country is how much immigration dominated the discussions. Personally I don't view it was racism/xenophonbia if the reason for voting was to reduce the population in the hope there would be more jobs with higher salaries and less strain on public services. It's understandable to vote for personal gain.

Although the significant rise in hate crimes helps fuel the racism viewpoint. The minority always stand out.

A lot of people have genuinely given it a lot of thought, research and reached the opinion they have. Many people did just rely on the headlines and didn't really understand any of it at all.

As for doomsday, I didn't really buy much of that either. We've no idea how it will hit us longterm and hopefully the drops on the back of the vote are just temporary blips.

We're here now and I'm sure there will be more twists and turns to come.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:53 am

Kerr wrote: Part of the reason so many people have deemed the vote highlights the racism/xenophobia in this country is how much immigration dominated the discussions. Personally I don't view it was racism/xenophonbia if the reason for voting was to reduce the population in the hope there would be more jobs with higher salaries and less strain on public services. It's understandable to vote for personal gain.

Although the significant rise in hate crimes helps fuel the racism viewpoint. The minority always stand out.

A lot of people have genuinely given it a lot of thought, research and reached the opinion they have. Many people did just rely on the headlines and didn't really understand any of it at all.

As for doomsday, I didn't really buy much of that either. We've no idea how it will hit us longterm and hopefully the drops on the back of the vote are just temporary blips.

We're here now and I'm sure there will be more twists and turns to come.
Can't disagree with any of the above. I just feel that if we are saying people were duped, it was as much by the Remain as by the Leave side. As an example, Osborne coming out with a policy this morning to reduce corp tax to 15% is a complete contradiction to his threats in the lead up to the referendum, but amazing news for me as a business owner who can now, longer term, look at creating 1-2 additional roles within my firm if the tax deduction goes through.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

PaddyGoo

Post by PaddyGoo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Sooooooooooo 2 years on, disaster looms, and Peoples Vote will probably be held as Parliament is divided, looks like Brexit may well be toast and consigned to the bin marked Stupid Ideas.

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:11 pm

Until recently I though we would end up with a typical British fudge. Things have now become so polorised that a fudge seems less likely.

People's vote begins to look more possible as I can't see MPs voting though Chequers deal, Canadian deal or no deal. The governement may end up welcoming people's vote as a way of gettign them off the hook.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/