Songwriters who just stop writing classics..

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

NickSouthampton

Songwriters who just stop writing classics..

Post by NickSouthampton » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 pm

There are a lot of great songwriters who write amazing stuff for a few years and then don’t produce much for the rest of their lives. I wonder why. At some point in their lives they were able to do it, why do they stop. I have two ideas that seem to make sense.

Firstly, they stop working as hard. This is particularly true of the people who worked in a Brill building environment, they wrote hundreds of songs early on and we only got to hear a small number.

My second idea is that a new song, particularly one that uses new ideas, needs to be heard a lot before it becomes a classic. In the old days, people went out of fashion and stopped getting radio play.

I think there is a positive side to this, modern artists, well the ones I listen to, don’t rely on radio play much. Fans can access their music without going through the gatekeeper. This means they have a better chance of producing classic songs for much longer.

Any thoughts on this Frank, any idea why so many artists produce all their “best” stuff in one or two albums. You have managed to put some classics on every album so far so you must be doing something right.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

NickSouthampton

Re: Songwriters who just stop writing classics..

Post by NickSouthampton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Just noticed my post and realised the title might seems a bit weird. I wrote it after noticing that Carol King wrote loads of classic songs and then stopped. same thing seemed to happen with some bands.

Just wondered if you have any thoughts why some people (like you) write great songs all through their careers and others just seem to grind to a halt after a few years.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Really don't have any answer to this.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks for responding anyway. It's not really a proper question, more of a pub discussion which we have had quite a lot.

The top theory is that some artists keep on doing the same thing long after they have got bored or said all they want to say in that area. Fans or management push them to keep rehashing their most popular style when they are ready to move on. The people who produce a lifetime of good stuff tend to keep moving on and exploring new things.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/