Ladies of London Town

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Post Reply
mankytoes
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Ladies of London Town

Post by mankytoes » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:25 pm

"And I’d like to delete the song “The Ladies of London Town” from history for all time."- http://noisey.vice.com/blog/rank-your-r ... ytwitterus Just being emphatic, or do you really hate it? I've never found it that memorable, but it has a nice rhythm and nicely captures how frustrating going on the pull can be.
If you're oh so fucking different, who cares what you have to say?

Faulksp
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Ladies of London Town

Post by Faulksp » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Bloody hell I like that one !

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4194
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Ladies of London Town

Post by frank » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Haha, as per usual my flippant tone comes across worse when written down. If people like that song, cool. Personally, it doesn't really work for me. Never quite meshes. That's about all. I'll most likely play it out some more sometime.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Evan
Posts: 1839
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Ladies of London Town

Post by Evan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:54 pm

I would like to go on record as saying that I dislike this song.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

mankytoes
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Ladies of London Town

Post by mankytoes » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:27 am

frank wrote:Haha, as per usual my flippant tone comes across worse when written down. If people like that song, cool. Personally, it doesn't really work for me. Never quite meshes. That's about all. I'll most likely play it out some more sometime.
Ah, the only other thing I could really think of was that lines like "You're wearing too much make-up and showing too much flesh" sound a bit dodgey, but only out of context.

I wouldn't mind hearing it, I think it has good singalong value (only for full album lyric learning nerds though I guess).

Other thing that grabbed me from the interview was "Love Ire & Song, the fact that it’s so aggressively beloved by the older fans I have—and I hate to say it, but some of the more elitist fans I have—it’s a degree that almost makes me like it less". I can see that, because that's the first album a lot of us were really into, I think it has an emotional connection, so it's hard for another album to ever beat it as favourite. I think there's generally a rule in music that if you do albums that are as good as each other, the earliest one is most popular.

Thanks, as always, for the quick reply. The forum feels almost kinda old fashioned, it's nice you aren't just twittering, and I appreciate you must answer an unholy number of questions. See you at the Ally Pally!
If you're oh so fucking different, who cares what you have to say?

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4194
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Ladies of London Town

Post by frank » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:17 am

mankytoes wrote:
frank wrote:Haha, as per usual my flippant tone comes across worse when written down. If people like that song, cool. Personally, it doesn't really work for me. Never quite meshes. That's about all. I'll most likely play it out some more sometime.
Ah, the only other thing I could really think of was that lines like "You're wearing too much make-up and showing too much flesh" sound a bit dodgey, but only out of context.

I wouldn't mind hearing it, I think it has good singalong value (only for full album lyric learning nerds though I guess).

Other thing that grabbed me from the interview was "Love Ire & Song, the fact that it’s so aggressively beloved by the older fans I have—and I hate to say it, but some of the more elitist fans I have—it’s a degree that almost makes me like it less". I can see that, because that's the first album a lot of us were really into, I think it has an emotional connection, so it's hard for another album to ever beat it as favourite. I think there's generally a rule in music that if you do albums that are as good as each other, the earliest one is most popular.

Thanks, as always, for the quick reply. The forum feels almost kinda old fashioned, it's nice you aren't just twittering, and I appreciate you must answer an unholy number of questions. See you at the Ally Pally!
My point about LIS isn't that I don't like people liking it - it's great, I love it too, a lot. It's just that there is a subset of people who only like that record (which is fair enough) and spend their days telling me they hate the rest of my stuff (less so).
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

goldust
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:21 am

Re: Ladies of London Town

Post by goldust » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:26 am

You can't dislike a song with Jamie Lenman on it.

mankytoes
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Ladies of London Town

Post by mankytoes » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:32 pm

frank wrote:
My point about LIS isn't that I don't like people liking it - it's great, I love it too, a lot. It's just that there is a subset of people who only like that record (which is fair enough) and spend their days telling me they hate the rest of my stuff (less so).
Yeah, there's always people who see everything in black/white, applies to music too. An album is either amazing or shit to them. Your style hasn't change dramatically, there's no way anyone could genuinely love that album and not enjoy any of the rest of your songs. I remember this being a big thing with the Arctic Monkeys, people built up the first album to some legendary status the second one was always going to get slaughtered like it was a crime against music, when really it wasn't quite as good, but still had some great songs on it.
If you're oh so fucking different, who cares what you have to say?

User avatar
Watergirl
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Ladies of London Town

Post by Watergirl » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:43 pm

frank wrote: My point about LIS isn't that I don't like people liking it - it's great, I love it too, a lot. It's just that there is a subset of people who only like that record (which is fair enough) and spend their days telling me they hate the rest of my stuff (less so).
I can see how that would bug you. I came on board later, therefore not obsessed about LIS - though very good.
It's always the same. Early fans don't quite like it when their favourites become successful. A lot of Springsteen fans resented the success of "Born in the U.S.A.", as suddenly Bruce was massive. Surely the fact that many other people like something does not alter the music you like….?
872 1064/84/87/88 1133/34/84/85 *1216* 1257/81/82 1307/08/09/10 1364 1444/45/46/63 1527/29/30/43/45 1621/22/23/97/98 *1700* 1704/82/84/85/86 1808/29/30/31/76/77 1958/77/97/99 *2000* 2076/87 2153/54 2174/75/76/77/78 2254/55

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests