London

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Evan

Re: London

Post by Evan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Blonde wrote:
hellaoftroy wrote:Wow, thanks Bella for all the links! This is all really helpful.
I'm thinking about trying to see something on West End from the cheap seats, but I'll definitely look beyond West End as well.

Another question though- any recommendations for pubs and the like you'd recommend?
If you're around Shaftesbury Avenue then De Hems, a Dutch pub on Macclesfield street is good. Good choice of beer.

The guy who runs that place is a supreme arsehole. That was once my pub of choice, as the food is superb, but he's a twunt.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

hellaoftroy

Post by hellaoftroy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:28 am

LHN wrote:Yay Skinny Lister! Not sure if you've seen them live before, but they put on a fucking fine show. Saw them opening for Frank a while ago, had no idea who they were, and immediately loved them so much I almost didn't want Frank's set to start...
I just saw them on Glasgow a few days ago. It was such a great show! I had heard about them when they opened for Flogging Molly in the States a while ago, but this was my first time seeing them live. So fucking good, and it just seemed like everyone on and off stage was having fun. Plus rum. If any of you have the chance to go, go!

Thanks so much for the help and suggestions everyone! And thank you for introducing the word "twunt" into my life.

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:58 am

The great thing about London is that wherever you are, there will be something interesting very close.
A couple of minutes from the modern brickfest of the Barbican are some wonderful Roman walls.
There is a little beach next to the Festival Hall where a friend goes beach combing and finds old clay pipes and coins.
My main tip is to look above street level. The street may be full of Starbucks, chain shops and other anonymous stuff, but look at the next floor and it is often unchanged. Beautiful buildings with old typefaces, lovely windows and brickwork.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

marowak

Post by marowak » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:10 am

I've been working in London for over a year now. When I first started commuting up I didn't know it all too well but have really come to love everything about it.

My recommendation for you is food related. If you get a chance I highly recommend trying a pizza from Pizza Pilgrims.
http://pizzapilgrims.co.uk/pizzerias/dean-st-soho/

They do a Nduja pizza which is just lovely ... I would also say just take sometime to enjoy the parks, St James, Hyde Park, Regents Park etc they are wonderful places of calm in the city.

And have a great time!
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:59 am

marowak wrote:I've been working in London for over a year now. When I first started commuting up I didn't know it all too well but have really come to love everything about it.

My recommendation for you is food related. If you get a chance I highly recommend trying a pizza from Pizza Pilgrims.
http://pizzapilgrims.co.uk/pizzerias/dean-st-soho/

They do a Nduja pizza which is just lovely ... I would also say just take sometime to enjoy the parks, St James, Hyde Park, Regents Park etc they are wonderful places of calm in the city.

And have a great time!
We often get a Pizza there and eat it in the park (Soho Square) at the end of the road.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

tampateri

Post by tampateri » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:05 pm

London was one of my favorite places I've ever visited. I lived in Germany at the time and I loved visiting all of the ancient places in Europe. The great thing about London was that everything was just as old but they also spoke my language there (for the most part). London is one of the few places I've been where all of the cheesy touristy places we visited were still pretty fucking awesome. I guess what I'm saying is try to get at least one cheesy touristy thing in while you're there. I can't wait to get back over there.

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Sun May 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Absolutely one of my favorite places in the world. I'm surprised no one has quote Samuel Johnson yet: "...when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

I was going to chime in with two more (Derelict London tours with Paul Talling, and a visit to 19 Princelet Street), but I see from both their websites that you wouldn't have any luck if you're only there until June. Even so, I've no doubt that you'll have a fantastic time. It would take a lifetime to explore London fully--and by then, it would have evolved, so you'd have to start all over again! Enjoy!
Brevity is not my forte.

hellaoftroy

Post by hellaoftroy » Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm

I'll definitely get some tourist-y stuff in, because hey, I'm a tourist. And that pizza looks delicious so I might have to get some of that in as well, haha.
And I'm in Glasgow until June, but unfortunately only going to be in London for a couple days (though I could possibly spend another couple days there later this month if I get on my school work). My home base is in Los Angeles too. :)

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sun May 03, 2015 11:52 pm

The London Wunderground is back on Southbank from 7th May. It's pretty cool to visit even if you don't have tickets to the shows. Last year there was a carousel bar.

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Fri May 08, 2015 4:23 am

hellaoftroy wrote:I'll definitely get some tourist-y stuff in, because hey, I'm a tourist. And that pizza looks delicious so I might have to get some of that in as well, haha.
And I'm in Glasgow until June, but unfortunately only going to be in London for a couple days (though I could possibly spend another couple days there later this month if I get on my school work). My home base is in Los Angeles too. :)
Then get on it! :-) (Ironic coming from me, the queen of procrastination.) Your user name tells me you're probably a NorCal native studying at USC...but that's okay, we can still be friends! In any case, hope to meet you at an upcoming Frank show and invite you to join our merry family of SoCal FT diehards. Enjoy your time abroad--I'd love to hear about it!
Brevity is not my forte.

hellaoftroy

Post by hellaoftroy » Sat May 09, 2015 7:28 pm

ToTheWest wrote:
hellaoftroy wrote:I'll definitely get some tourist-y stuff in, because hey, I'm a tourist. And that pizza looks delicious so I might have to get some of that in as well, haha.
Then get on it! :-) (Ironic coming from me, the queen of procrastination.) Your user name tells me you're probably a NorCal native studying at USC...but that's okay, we can still be friends! In any case, hope to meet you at an upcoming Frank show and invite you to join our merry family of SoCal FT diehards. Enjoy your time abroad--I'd love to hear about it!
Oh god, my username is so misleading! I'm actually a SoCal native who goes to UCLA. I just like stupid puns and wish the word hella was universally used.

I ended up having less time in London than I thought I would because of some crazy stuff that happened, but I had a great time anyway! Walked along Thames from Big Ben to my hostel near Tower Hill. Shopped on Oxford Street and ate at some hip coffee shop. Saw Skinny Lister play a really, really fantastic show and went out to a super sketchy pub afterwards. Had some misadventures and ended up staying with another California friend in Norwich, and got to see a couple songs at the end of Skinny Lister's set there as well. Spent this morning walking around Norwich, which was a really charming place (for lack of a better word.)

I wish I didn't have to go back up north for exams because I just want to explore England some more. It's a cool place, Frank should write some songs about it.

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Tue May 12, 2015 2:44 am

"Ha" to the actually-a-Bruin part (even better--I am, too, if you couldn't tell) and to Frank writing some songs about England. (Side note: You may be the only SoCal native I know who wants to adopt "hella" into SoCal lingo.) Anyway, rad that you got to see Skinny Lister. Good luck on your exams! When you're looking back on your study abroad experience, I'm sure you'll be happy remembering the things you did, and not the things you didn't have time to do.
Brevity is not my forte.