Page 1 of 5

Opener / Setlist

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:12 pm
by SusanneD
I've seen you a few times this year and you usually opened with Photosynthesis, followed by Plain Sailing Weather. The last gig I saw was gamescom in Cologne, where you started with Try This At Home. I'm partial to varied setlists, because it makes going to more than one show of one touring season so much more interesting. But I was still wondering if the desire to not go through the same routine is your motivation behind those changes as well? I know there are necessary changes in regards to how long your set will be in the first place, especially during the festival season. But to open with a different song surprised me, that's all. Is there a specific reason for that?

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:14 am
by frank
I like to mix it up here and there, sure. But at the same time a good setlist is a good setlist, and it can be a little frustrating when people come to (say) 10 shows in a row and complain that we don't mix it up enough. Playing a worse set for the benefit of 1% of the audience makes no sense to me.

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:26 pm
by SusanneD
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about any setlist. I've enjoyed all your shows (so far :D), no matter if I've heard that setlist before or not. Even with a similar or the exact same set, you and the Sleeping Souls manage to make a show unique in so many other aspects. I usually don't remember the exact order or selection of songs anyway. The different opener was noticeable though.

See you in 2015 (with so many awesome new songs!!)

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:32 pm
by Evan
frank wrote:Playing a worse set for the benefit of 1% of the audience makes no sense to me.
Selfish bastard.

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:08 pm
by skhmmxi
Perhaps a special mini-tour for the frank turner tryhards?

Small venues.
Obscure towns with really early last trains that are before the show curfew.
Venues and towns not announced until 3 hours before the show on twitter. Prior to this only vague regions are identified in tour listings.
All weeknight shows, no weekends.
One ticket for the whole tour, stamped on exit at each venue. Miss a single stamp and you're denied entry to the shows on the rest of the tour.
Unique set list for each show. More than 50% of each set list is non-studio album tracks.
Additional security to monitor the crowd during the set. Anyone seen not singing or getting a single word wrong is immediately ejected.
Exclusive t-shirts available at the merch stand with a line from a very obscure frank song that makes no sense at all out of context. Barely noticeably different t-shirt sold each night.
Support acts exclusively chosen from people frank met in a pub whilst drunk once. Admitting to not knowing and liking every song by said support acts is grounds for immediate ejection from venue.
Tour never repeated ever again. People who successfully complete the entire run get a free exclusively designed tattoo inked across their forehead to prove they were there.

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 pm
by darlenet.
skhmmxi wrote:Perhaps a special mini-tour for the frank turner tryhards?

Small venues.
Obscure towns with really early last trains that are before the show curfew.
Venues and towns not announced until 3 hours before the show on twitter. Prior to this only vague regions are identified in tour listings.
All weeknight shows, no weekends.
One ticket for the whole tour, stamped on exit at each venue. Miss a single stamp and you're denied entry to the shows on the rest of the tour.
Unique set list for each show. More than 50% of each set list is non-studio album tracks.
Additional security to monitor the crowd during the set. Anyone seen not singing or getting a single word wrong is immediately ejected.
Exclusive t-shirts available at the merch stand with a line from a very obscure frank song that makes no sense at all out of context. Barely noticeably different t-shirt sold each night.
Support acts exclusively chosen from people frank met in a pub whilst drunk once. Admitting to not knowing and liking every song by said support acts is grounds for immediate ejection from venue.
Tour never repeated ever again. People who successfully complete the entire run get a free exclusively designed tattoo inked across their forehead to prove they were there.

I would totally support this if.....only Believe Beer was served at the venues, and if...the exclusive forehead tattoo were in Frank's handwriting. Where do I sign up?

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:13 am
by Pete
You mean you didn't get the exclusive superfan presale email?

Awkward...

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:42 am
by darlenet.
Pete wrote:You mean you didn't get the exclusive superfan presale email?

Awkward...
No problem, I'll just e-mail him. Again.

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:46 pm
by reitzel6570
frank wrote:I like to mix it up here and there, sure. But at the same time a good setlist is a good setlist, and it can be a little frustrating when people come to (say) 10 shows in a row and complain that we don't mix it up enough. Playing a worse set for the benefit of 1% of the audience makes no sense to me.
I don't think mixing it up more necessarily equals a worse setlist. You've got enough crowd-pleasing songs to write a bunch of great setlists.

And those lesser-known songs that are making 1% of the audience lose their shit, while the rest check their phones? I'll bet there's a also a percentage of the audience that just discovered a new favorite. Happened to me with Smith Street Band. I thought they were just pretty good the first 6 times I saw them on tour with you. The sound mix made it hard to really hear them. Then Wil pulled out a solo version of My Little Sinking Ship and I went right to merch and bought the album. And that album made me buy the rest of them, and probably several gig tickets on their upcoming US tour too.

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:02 pm
by Blonde
skhmmxi wrote: People who successfully complete the entire run get a free exclusively designed tattoo inked across their forehead to prove they were there.
Would 'Totally Wild About Turner' fit on people's foreheads?

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:07 pm
by darlenet.
Blonde wrote:
skhmmxi wrote: People who successfully complete the entire run get a free exclusively designed tattoo inked across their forehead to prove they were there.
Would 'Totally Wild About Turner' fit on people's foreheads?
But how cool to have TWAT tattooed. Because only the TRUE fans would know the REAL meaning... Or would they?

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 pm
by kellymac
Evan wrote:
frank wrote:Playing a worse set for the benefit of 1% of the audience makes no sense to me.
Selfish bastard.
Evan is the real reason I read this forum . . . :lol:

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:13 am
by blastman
kellymac wrote: Evan is the real reason I read this forum . . . :lol:
I thought it was just me. I've never heard of the other fella... :D

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 pm
by Watergirl
The setlist topic is a bit of a pet subject of mine so forgive me for writing about it once more.
As I am one of the 1%-diehard-multiple-gig-goers (though I am moderate compared to some) I would be in favour of more changes, but Frank has his view and it's his show of course.
It remains an interesting issue though. Bruce has sign requests, Metallica had an online vote. I saw Sinéad O'Connor recently and she opted to headline two festivals playing a set two thirds of which was from her new album that was not even out yet at that point. It went down really well and reviews were great. People's attention spans proved to be up to it.
I read an interview with Eliza Carthy in fRoots, who has the following to say on this topic:

"I don't like to give audiences an easy time at all although I have relented a bit. I've accepted it's fun for everybody to do a 'Best Of' now and again. Doing the 'Wayward Daughter' project was for me a giant concession to people who'd been coming up to me for years saying 'do 'Cold wet rainy night'' and 'do 'Worcester City'' when I'm sitting there with a completely different line-up. 'Do 'Spacegirl'' and I'm sitting there with a crumhorn and hurdy gurdy! But I do recognise it's fun sometimes to revisit that stuff but I always had this thing that you should never, ever repeat yourself. That was a big thing of mine. Never give them an easy time. Each time you go out, give them a new album and a new repertoire. I thought that was important. But now I'm mellowing and I accept that people need to enjoy themselves from time to time. Bastards!"

When I saw Eliza at the Cambridge Folk Festival recently it was just her and Martin Carthy playing lots of long slow songs. Not mellow or populist at all, but great nonetheless.

Re: Opener / Setlist

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:13 am
by reitzel6570
Frank, your sets are certainly not the same every night, and though I've been to fair number of shows, they're not boring me either. I'm inclined to think that the people chasing you around from city to city are really the only ones who'll notice or care about similar setlists over the course of a tour, but I did talk to someone in Boston last time around who said that she "used to go every time Frank was in town, but go bored of the same songs all the time."

So what about the average fan who only goes to their local show? I was curious, so I looked at NYC. Six shows over the course of three years (let's figure the average show-goer doesn't go to both shows of a two night stand):
21-Sep-2011 Bowery Ballroom
03-Nov-2011 Bowery Ballroom
29-Sep-2012 Webster Hall
04-Mar-2013 Bowery Ballroom
27-Nov-2013 Terminal 5
08-Jun-2014 Governor's Ball

Songs they would've heard, and the number of times, below, (according to setlist.fm). That's eleven songs that they would have heard either 5 or 6 times. That's a lot of repetition for a setlist that's usually about 20 songs. Probably most people wouldn't notice, and probably a lot of people would want to hear those every time anyway. I want to hear a lot of those songs every time too, but I also wouldn't care or probably even notice if you gave them a rest. I'm not really sure what my point here is. Just something to think about, I guess.

6 I Still Believe
6 If Ever I Stray
6 Long Live the Queen
6 Peggy Sang the Blues
6 Photosynthesis
6 Try This at Home
5 Glory Hallelujah
5 I Am Disappeared
5 I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous
5 One Foot Before the Other
5 The Road
4 Four Simple Words
4 Reasons Not to Be an Idiot
4 Recovery
4 Wessex Boy
3 Love Ire & Song
3 Substitute
3 The Ballad of Me and My Friends
3 Thunder Road
2 Dan's Song
2 English Curse
2 Eulogy
2 Losing Days
2 Plain Sailing Weather
2 Somebody to Love
2 Sons of Liberty
2 The Way I Tend to Be
1 Broken Piano
1 Buddies
1 Chelsea Hotel #2
1 Good & Gone
1 Oh Brother
1 Polaroid Picture
1 Redemption
1 Rivers
1 Tell Tale Signs
1 The Real Damage
1 To Take You Home