Swearing

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Leicesterbantam

Swearing

Post by Leicesterbantam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Right, this can either go very well or very bad, so here goes.

i've gone against the orders of the wife and booked four tickets for the family to come to the gig at de Montfort Hall. This includes a 10 year old and 6 year old!! Now I am either going to be pilloried on here for their age, or applauded for getting kids so young into great live music.....time will tell. We've managed to get seats dead ahead so they should get a great view

Anywhere Holly, my sensible 10 year old has requested that you swear a little less than normal on the night if you would be so kind? Theo just wants it to be loud!

frank
Site Admin

Re: Swearing

Post by frank » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Ha. Alas my mouth runs away with me. Not masses I can do about it.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Leicesterbantam

Post by Leicesterbantam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Well sometimes when I swear I am made to apologise, so maybe if you do slip, it may set a good example to HOLLY???? :wink: :wink:

BTW, thanks for the quick response, much appreciated

trogette

Post by trogette » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:29 pm

I reckon you're on a hiding to nowhere there mate...

SB

Post by SB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:22 am

When I took my boys to Trees last year (they were then 8 and 6) they heard plenty of choice language. The youngest didn't even notice it, the eldest knows that sometimes grown ups swear, and that it's a grown up thing to do. But, I knew when I booked the tickets that there would be swearing, and that it was my decision to take them despite that. If you have all the facts and choose to do something anyway then it's an informed decision.

My kids are around adults often, and have been to many gigs where there has been swearing, and we haven't had a single swearing incident. Educating them about why people swear, and when it might be appropriate for an adult to do so, seemed to combat any intrigue or mystique.

So, yeah, don't worry. Enjoy it - and let the rest of the crowd enjoy it - swearing and all.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:03 am

Hey, I just wanted to give my perspective on this. I've been taking my daughter to punk concerts since she was 12 (Her first pit experience was Social D. with Frank Turner and Lucero as a matter of fact), so obviously I have no issue with kids being at shows. But I would never expect an artist to conform to the fact that children were present. As a matter of fact, I find it a bit annoying. I was at a Revival Tour which I adore beyond words, but found the artists' frequent apologies and saying, "Oops" when cursing distracting. Also, one of the kids actually "shushed" a guy in the crowd who cursed. And of course, it is a stone cold fact that no one finds our kids as endearing as we do. I just wanted to offer that perspective as a concert goer. No offense intended, I know it will be so exciting for the kids.

That being said, I saw a show in Knoxville, and the kids there were excellent, and when on stage during Four Simple Words, Frank didn't really change much (he still did "give a fuck!"), it was as much fun as always. Have a great time!,

Darlene
shows? 90 so far...

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:04 am

Gig ends early after unfortunate incident with a bottle of fairy liquid whilst crowd surfing...
I guess plain sailing weather will be off the set list.

andy8000

Post by andy8000 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Personally i'd be gutted if Frank changed his on stage act in any way. All the little bits make the whole and the swearing is one of those little bits. Just tell the kids beforehand and all go and enjoy it!

PS I'm going to Leicester as well so he'd better not tone it down!!!!
Birmingham Coventry Wolverhampton Manchester Leicester Frome Wembley. Most in multiple, lost count. :roll:

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Twat basket

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Blonde wrote:Twat basket
I long to be this succinct.
shows? 90 so far...

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:55 pm

To be honest, the OP's 10 y/o probably hears worse in the playground every day, and the 6 y/o won't get it, and is of an age where they can still be told not to EVER repeat anything they might hear said.
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.
Gigs: Wembley, Oxford, London forum.

helentx

Post by helentx » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:04 pm

I was lucky to be at a show in Boston last year - it was the 3rd time in 4 days over thanksgiving & I flew home afterwards bouyed up by feel good factor which seemed to build up over successive nights. The Boston show was really special.

Sound quality is not the best but I was standing near whoever took these which capture the essence, energy & excitement of a full on performance from start to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E38DbDIiOXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLbCiHev8so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yzEARMQIZY

reitzel6570

Post by reitzel6570 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:04 pm

Eh. Whatever. I don't really get what the big deal is with swear words. They're just words. Sometimes the only words that fit the situation. The only essential thing for kids and everyone else is learning where and when it's okay or really, really, not okay to say them.

I was so impressed with my son and his command of the language when at two he knew every swear word, the proper usage of them, and the non-offensive alternatives. I'd hear him in the next room yelling "DAMN IT!," and when I said "what did you say?!," he'd laugh and say "darn it." Not sure where he picked that up....(shifts eyes back and forth guiltily, then points to husband).

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:32 am

Leicesterbantam wrote:Right, this can either go very well or very bad, so here goes.
Anywhere Holly, my sensible 10 year old has requested that you swear a little less than normal on the night if you would be so kind? Theo just wants it to be loud!
I recommend taking some good earplugs for Holly and Theo. Your ears work a lot better when you are young so it will seem a lot louder and ears are more easily damaged at that age. They don't have to wear them but it would be good to give them the option and let them realise that it is OK to wear them if they need to.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

Poppet_2

Post by Poppet_2 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:46 am

Hope it doesn't cause a problem, but just wanted to let you know that my SeeTickets confirmation email for this gig states 16+ for standing and 12s-15s accompanied by an adult in seating.

May just be a SeeTickets auto confirmation or maybe the implication is actually that under 12s can be seated unaccompanied???