Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson Knocks Judas Priest + Punk Roc

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

waywardson

Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson Knocks Judas Priest + Punk Roc

Post by waywardson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Any thoughts?

http://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-bruce-d ... punk-rock/

"Iron Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson has been taking seemingly random shots at musicians lately, going after Metallica, Judas Priest and even punk rock as a genre during recent interviews. We’re unsure as to why Dickinson seems to have been on the attack as of late, but in response to Bruce’s punk rock bashing, iconic hardcore punk trailblazers Dead Kennedys have responded in kind.

Bruce Dickinson is an absurdly impressive individual. He’s one of the greatest heavy metal singers of all time, is an accomplished pilot, successful beer mogul, partner in the launch of the world’s longest aircraft and the dude even helps disabled individuals with flight lessons. Oh, and he’s going to fly a replica of the famous Red Baron fighter plane for an elaborate WWI battle recreation above the Sonisphere Festival skies.

Dickinson’s resume is one of a kind, but the singer’s accomplishments may be going to his head these days. We already reported on him declaring that Iron Maiden are a better band than Metallica, but Bruce recently condemned Judas Priest singer Rob Halford for apparently using a teleprompter to help remember lyrics during live shows. “People pay good money and you can’t even remember the sodding words,” exclaims Dickinson. “The daftest one I ever saw was [Judas Priest's] ‘Breaking the Law.’”

The Iron Maiden legend’s latest target is punk rock as a genre. “The closest the ‘art establishment’ ever came to embracing metal was punk,” Dickinson tells the Guardian. “The reason they embraced punk was because it was rubbish and the reason they embraced rubbish was because they could control it. They could say: ‘Oh yeah, we’re punk so we can sneer at everybody. We can’t play our f—ing instruments, but that means we can make out that this whole thing is some enormous performance art.’”

Dickinson adds, “Half the kids that were in punk bands were laughing at the art establishment, going: ‘What a f—ing bunch of tosspots. Thanks very much, give us the money and we’ll f— off and stick it up our nose and shag birds.’”

Of course, the magic of punk rock is partially due to its power through simplicity. However, when examining the technical skills, compositional chops and raw power of punk rock, Dead Kennedys guitarist East Bay Ray is one of the all-time greats. Just listen to ‘Chemical Warfare,’ ‘Police Truck,’ ‘Too Drunk to F—’ or ‘Jesus Was a Terrorist’ to hear for yourself.

In response to Dickinson’s anti-punk statements, Dead Kennedys posted a short rebuttal:

I don’t think he has ever heard East Bay Ray play guitar.

Short, sweet and thought provoking, as evidenced in the 2000-plus comments contributed to the Dead Kennedys post by fans."

newmy

Re: Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson Knocks Judas Priest + Punk

Post by newmy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:42 pm

"We already reported on him declaring that Iron Maiden are a better band than Metallica"

I don't know how anyone could take issue with him on this particular point given that it is 100% factually accurate.

waywardson

Post by waywardson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:50 pm

That's debatable, depending on one's taste. It's his pissing all over punk in particular, and his knocking of other bands to build his own up in general, that makes him seem the twat to me.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Given that I was the interviewer for the punk quote, I guess I'd like to contextualise a little. Personally I don't agree with the man, but not for the reasons most people are stating. Basically, if you take a very narrow view of punk, as the media phenomenon of 1977, I think he has a point - to the extent that, no one from the Damned / Pistols / Clash / Sham69 could replace any musician in Maiden, whereas (from a purely dry technical viewpoint) most Maiden players could happily get through White Riot in their sleep. On that level alone, he's right about the relative technical ability of the bands in question.

Of course, that misses the rather broader point that punk was, on some levels, about increased access to music making, about rating passion above technical ability, that kind of thing. Which is all well and good, but there was, for the record, a lot of fucking terrible music released in 77-79 justified by the "punk ethos". I think if you consider how lauded punk was by the media at the time (despite not really selling many records) you can see why people like Maiden might be pissed off at the whole thing. It's a bit weird to continue to be pissed off about it 35+ years later, but there it is (and obviously Dickinson doesn't know / care about the evolution of punk since then).

Personally, I think that the original punk wave was an exciting and necessary part of music history but not one that left a mountain of great music / art in its wake. I'll take the Clash, Never Mind The Bollocks, the first Damned record, the Buzzcocks, first Slits record and some early Sham69, but other than that not masses has stood the test of time, in my opinion. Punk got more interesting both musically and philosophically in the 80s, for me.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

oakworth

Post by oakworth » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Can't believe you left out Lene Lovich and Jilted John from the must have list!

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:56 pm

frank wrote:Given that I was the interviewer for the punk quote, I guess I'd like to contextualise a little.
Bits and pieces of that interview have been showing up as sound bytes here and there. Is there any chance of reading the interview in toto? Would love to see the question followed by the answer.

Darlene
shows? 90 so far...

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:44 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, alas I wasn't transcribing, the fullest text available is the guardian piece.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:29 am

I saw the Pistols live in 76 and much as I hate to say it, they were pretty rubbish compared with what is on "Never Mind the Bollocks", and Sid hadn't joined them then. I suspect a lot of the record was session musicians.

This was the gig, though the sound is way better here than I remember.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 9229155573

The attitude was great but most of the bands were pretty bad. One of the best live bands at the time 76-77 were Eddie and the Hot Rods, they sound pretty lame on record but they had more energy than many of the punks live, played pretty well too. What punk did was to open things up. I don't think Elvis Costello would have got going so quickly if it hadn't been for punk. Lots of other great songwriters and bands emerged out of that culture. The first TRB album has some very good song writing on it.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

1900sr

Post by 1900sr » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:30 am

I think he has a point - to the extent that, no one from the Damned / Pistols / Clash / Sham69 could replace any musician in Maiden
I think you're being unfair there Frank, certainly Topper Headon could give any other drummer a run for their money. I'd also like to know how accomplished the guys in Iron Maiden were when they played the Roxy Club back in the day. Musicians get technically better and evolve as they go along. A lot of the guys from the old punk bands are now respected session musicians. You are of course right that there were a lot of crap punk records, but there were also a lot of crap New Wave Of British Heavy Metal records. Also being a technically good player doesn't automatically help you make good music.