Muse

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Wessexboy1

Muse

Post by Wessexboy1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi Frank,

This is sort of a question for everyone, but what do you think of Muse? Personally i think they're fucking awesome, and Matt Bellamy is a great guitarist/singer and composer.

Cheers,
Cameron
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." ~ Douglas Adams

y10walkerc@googlemail.com

reitzel6570

Re: Muse

Post by reitzel6570 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 am

Just sitting here waiting for Dieselbenz to reply.....

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 am

I think they have their moments - time is running out especially. But overall not really my thing.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:09 am

Muse are one of my top 5 favourite bands.

oakworth

Post by oakworth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Saw them live last year. Didn't live up to the hype tbh. Granted it's a great stageshow, but they have zero interaction with the crowd. For me there has to something about a gig that makes it feel personal, otherwise it's more theatre than live music.

Wessexboy1

Post by Wessexboy1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:31 pm

I agree, there is no doubt that they are an epic band, with some songs that really blow my mind, but the lyrics aren't exactly touching, and there isn't as much of a connection between them and their audience, but they're still in my top 5.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." ~ Douglas Adams

smithyramfan

Post by smithyramfan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:54 pm

I have a love hate relationship with Muse, they were once my favourite band and sound tracked the latter part of my high schooling. They have some brilliant songs, I would count Knights of Cydonia as one of my favourite songs. Although they seem to have this idea that they're music needs to sound 'bigger' or 'more epic' with each album. There's only so far you can go and many places in The 2nd Law began to sound like a self parody of Muse, Survival especially, if I was to write a Muse parody song it would have probably sounded exactly like Survival. With their live shows, sure they are an incredible live band and flying over the crowd on a flying saucer looks awesome, but as people have said there was no attempt to try and connect with the audience when I went to see Muse.
crap at dancing and can't hold my drink...
Shows: Lincoln 24/11/12, Nottingham 09/02/14, Y Not Festival 03/08/14

Wessexboy1

Post by Wessexboy1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:57 pm

smithyramfan wrote:I have a love hate relationship with Muse, they were once my favourite band and sound tracked the latter part of my high schooling. They have some brilliant songs, I would count Knights of Cydonia as one of my favourite songs. Although they seem to have this idea that they're music needs to sound 'bigger' or 'more epic' with each album. There's only so far you can go and many places in The 2nd Law began to sound like a self parody of Muse, Survival especially, if I was to write a Muse parody song it would have probably sounded exactly like Survival. With their live shows, sure they are an incredible live band and flying over the crowd on a flying saucer looks awesome, but as people have said there was no attempt to try and connect with the audience when I went to see Muse.
Apart from when Matt points at a member of the audience in most shows, which as we all know is the music equivalent of being touched by the pope.

newmy

Post by newmy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:00 pm

smithyramfan wrote:I have a love hate relationship with Muse, they were once my favourite band and sound tracked the latter part of my high schooling. They have some brilliant songs, I would count Knights of Cydonia as one of my favourite songs. Although they seem to have this idea that they're music needs to sound 'bigger' or 'more epic' with each album. There's only so far you can go and many places in The 2nd Law began to sound like a self parody of Muse, Survival especially, if I was to write a Muse parody song it would have probably sounded exactly like Survival. With their live shows, sure they are an incredible live band and flying over the crowd on a flying saucer looks awesome, but as people have said there was no attempt to try and connect with the audience when I went to see Muse.
Survival...was that the one that was used as a song for the Olympics? Because if it is then that was absolutely god fucking awful. So bad it was embarrassing to listen to.

tiffiny

Post by tiffiny » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:01 pm

oakworth wrote:Saw them live last year. Didn't live up to the hype tbh. Granted it's a great stageshow, but they have zero interaction with the crowd. For me there has to something about a gig that makes it feel personal, otherwise it's more theatre than live music.
I like a couple of their songs but had heard so much hype about the stage show that I went to one a couple years ago. The experience left me cold.
4.2.09, 9.13.09, 2.14.10, 2.15.10, 2.16.10, 2.17.10, 8.11.10, 10.15.10, 10.16.10 x2, 09.27.11 x2, 10.07.11, 3.3.12, 3.4.12, 3.5.12, 9.18.12, 9.29.12, 9.30.12, 3.6.13, 3.7.13, 3.15.13, 6.7.13 x2, 6.8.13 x2, 8.8.13, 10.9.13, 11.27.13, 11.29.13, 11.30.13

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Even though I went off them a bit when The Resistance came out, I was pleasantly surprised seeing Muse at Coventry last year.

They're one of those bands whose rubbish songs (Undisclosed Desires) sound incredible live.

Basically, Frank needs to incorporate a Dub-Step singing Robot into his live sets.
Adam_Bennett wrote:..I'm a folk rock musician similar to Boucher and everyone else.

DieselBenz

Post by DieselBenz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:46 am

reitzel6570 wrote:Just sitting here waiting for Dieselbenz to reply.....
Haha, just getting to this now since I was off chasing monkeys in the arctic all week. Yes, I love Muse slightly. Have seen them 30 times (31 if you count the soundcheck I got to go to) so obviously I get a lot out of their live show. Very different from Frank of course, so I don't honestly expect much overlap here, nor am I offended that it isn't Frank's or others' thing.
I will say though regarding some of the comments from some that they have poor fan interaction, I think that's something they improved on the last arena tour. Bellamy did a little walkaround at all the ones I was at in 2013, shook hands, occasionally gave hugs, read people's signs, etc. And did a singalong bit in the encore during Starlight that was fun. They also played two very rare B-sides for the hardcore folk just because we begged via signs at the shows. Yeah, still very little banter and so forth but you can't understand a word Matt says anyway, so I'd just assume get a bunch of riffs instead. I adore watching Matt on the guitar or piano; don't think I'll ever stop being in awe of what he can do musically. It is definitely an over-the-top show (though very well-engineered; their visuals guy Tom does a terrific job). I love that. I don't expect everyone else to.
I will be interested to see where the next album goes. They've said it will be a bit more guitars, drums, piano and harder than the last two, which I'd be happy with. I did actually really love the last two, but I have to admit I miss the Oos/Absolution era material. I started being a fan in 2004 but was too dumb/shy to go to any shows. It was fun to see them try wilder stuff as of late (and I think Exogensis Symphony is one of the most brilliant things they've done), but I want a bit more of the old-days angst back, haha. Lyrically I'd love to see a return to a bit more imagination too, which I know Bellamy is capable of from older albums.
I think that's all ... trying not to unleash the full lahar of embarrassing fangirlish worship all over everyone.
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18