UK Arena Tour/ Meet the crowd

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Venomous_Bear

Re: UK Arena Tour/ Meet the crowd

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:37 am

Danlechief wrote: Yeah I've met frank loads of times. Never been bothered by it. But New Year's Day at the monarch, I was a bit starstruck for some reason. Maybe too much ale. I think I bought him a few drinks and babbled nonsense at him for a while. Sorry frank.
I think it's alcohol, dude. I had met him before too, but the second time, I went completely mute. Attributing this to not-being-able-to-feel-my-face drunkenness. Totally weird.

One thing though. I like the list, and understand the point about not hovering around and avoiding him all night (especially if you're being weird and leering at him), but specifically at the Monarch, I have NOT gone over and said hi specifically because he WAS very clearly with his friends. Maybe this is a cultural thing, but I kind of felt like I shouldn't at all in that situation. He gets zero time with them as it is.

Obviously that's a bit different than at a gig. Otherwise, glorious list, skhmmxi.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

LoveStreet

Post by LoveStreet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:30 pm

I also froze up the first time I met Frank. Don't think I said anything but hi, and that it was a great gig. Oh, did get a hug as well. But the funny part was when I was waiting to say hello. I stood there talking to some people about our favorite Star Wars films. I said mine was Return of the Jedi & Frank overheard me. Of course like everyone else, he said his favorite was Empire. :oops:
(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:05 pm

LoveStreet wrote: I stood there talking to some people about our favorite Star Wars films. I said mine was Return of the Jedi & Frank overheard me. Of course like everyone else, he said his favorite was Empire. :oops:
Why doesn't anyone like A New Hope? You guuuuuuuys! I'm sentimental because ALDERAAN

My favourite t-shirt:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=& ... 9677013950

Anyway. This is going to turn into a Star Wars tangent, so we should probably go elsewhere to gang up and ridicule me for my hokey Star Wars preferences, and let the FT meet-and-greet thoughts occur uninterrupted.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

ScarletPlanetMoon

Post by ScarletPlanetMoon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm hopeless at talking to people I admire. I don't think I managed to have a conversation with him that's involved eye contact... And the first time I met him, I could barely get a word out. But Frank was gracious as ever, so it was all good in the end.
I'm no good at thinking of something funny enough for these things.
http://www.hellyeahjlandtss.tumblr.com

tiffiny

Post by tiffiny » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:37 pm

skhmmxi wrote:
sarahg wrote:Well honestly, I am far too shy to go say hello anyway
I thought about this, and I think I can identify some simple do's and don'ts when meeting frank. With apologies to frank if any of this is wrong:
  • DO:
  • say hello. Don't just stare from across the room all night, or hover closely nearby but never actually introduce yourself. It's creepy and weird. Imagine someone doing that to you all night, and how spooked you would be. If frank's met you before, he'll probably remember you - he's got a scarily good memory like that. If he hasn't he'll probably assume you're a fan saying hello without you having to specifically explain it. Once you say hello, frank normally goes right ahead, takes the initiative, and removes all the awkwardness you normally get when chatting with a stranger in a matter of seconds. He's done it before, even if you haven't.
  • say hello to anyone with frank who he introduces you to. That's fine, but I've always suspected this is frank's code for "It's nice to meet you, but just so you know, I'm hanging out with this person tonight, and I don't want to be rude to them". Keep that in mind.
  • keep your chat short. You probably don't realise it, but look around you - if frank's out in public there are more than likely other people waiting politely nearby to say hello. He wants to say hello to all of them, too, you know, they're all just as important to him as you are. If it's right after a gig then at least some of those people just want to say hello and then make a mad dash for their last train. If you've been to gigs before, then you almost certainly know how stressful that "last train anxiety" is, so be nice.
  • ask for a photo with frank, if you want one. Everyone does it, it's totally fine.

DON'T:
  • interrupt frank if he's watching a band and looks like he's enjoying the current song. He likes live music too, you know. Wait until a break in the set, or a song where it appears he's less interested.
  • prolong the conversation. frank is tremendously polite to his fans, and is unlikely to outright walk away or stop talking to you, but that doesn't mean he wants to spend the entire night chatting away with you, either. Do the honourable thing and make your own excuses to end the conversation before frank even thinks about it. 5 minutes is probably the maximum acceptable length of time, unless frank has voluntarily started discussing a topic that he's passionate about, in which case you'll probably eventually get bored enough to want to leave on your own. :)
  • tell frank you love him, even if you do. He almost certainly doesn't love you too, and it'll be really awkward. Haven't you heard Substitute? Go and listen to it right now. Go on, I'll wait.
  • carry on talking to frank if any of the Sleeping Souls, crew, or anyone else official looking interrupts you to speak to him. It's likely to be important, and usually a precursor to frank having to rush backstage to sort something out. Or you've been talking to him for WAY too long and they're actually coming to 'rescue' him from you. In which case, see the earlier point about prolonging the conversation.
  • yell 'funny' stuff at frank across the room but never actually speak to him. I've witnessed this a couple of times and it perplexes me each and every time. I presume in your head you think it's fine to do that because frank is famous and famous people don't deserve common courtesy according to you, or something. Just stop it.
You forgot to put "look frank directly in the eyes" on the don't list. He is also not big on the color orange. Things get weird real fast.
4.2.09, 9.13.09, 2.14.10, 2.15.10, 2.16.10, 2.17.10, 8.11.10, 10.15.10, 10.16.10 x2, 09.27.11 x2, 10.07.11, 3.3.12, 3.4.12, 3.5.12, 9.18.12, 9.29.12, 9.30.12, 3.6.13, 3.7.13, 3.15.13, 6.7.13 x2, 6.8.13 x2, 8.8.13, 10.9.13, 11.27.13, 11.29.13, 11.30.13

scottkeys

Post by scottkeys » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 pm

I can't figure out whether "Kick him in the balls" is a Do or a Don't?

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:44 pm

I'd say it's a 'Do' and you don't even need a special day for that…

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:44 am

I thought that was the required greeting upon meeting all English men?

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 pm

ScarletPlanetMoon wrote:
frank wrote:we are shortly announcing a scheme that is going to allow some hang out time, not kill me, and raise cash for charity...
We're not going to have to pay to see you are we? For charity or not, my budget is stretched enough without that just to say hi... (You could of course come out to see the queue if you get the time) Also, when's this announcement? I need to book trains etc for Manchester, and if I know I'm gunna be able to get a train that gets me home earlier than 3am, that's be great :)

And that isn't meant to sound as bitchy as it seems :roll:
I'm sorry, I've been biting my tongue for days, but I have to take issue with this. That's a bullshit statement, through and through. Here's the deal (all this coming in the announcement as well, which you, y'know, could have waited for). There's no way I can do my regular hangout thing when there's more than 10,000 people coming to a given show. Also, with my back / health generally, I've realised lately that one of the biggest tolls on me on tour is spending 2 hours standing in the cold shaking hands with strangers. It's really draining. That said, I don't want to hide out from the people at shows, I never did before and I don't want to change that side of what I do, it's not how I think of myself. So we have a conundrum. How to make this work for everyone? Well, why not have a soundcheck hangout; 100, maybe 150 people come down, we sell tickets for maybe £5 or £10 and all the money goes to a charity (probably Shelter). That way, as far as I can see, the most people are satisfied, and we also raise money for a great cause.

I also have to say that, while, as mentioned, I don't want to be removed from my audience, in recent years I have started to get a little tired of the sense of entitlement to a hangout some people have. If you buy a ticket, you buy a ticket to see me and the Souls give our all, musically, on stage, and we do that. If we cross paths before or after the show, great, cool, lovely I'll hang out and be nice and all the rest. But I've had people say I've ripped them off because I didn't meet them, stuff like that, and it's bullshit. My insistence on being a normal person also extends to having nights where I'm tired, sick, hanging out with old friends, or just not feeling sociable.

Going back to the question in hand, yes, this is the best way to do things, and if you don't like it, don't come to the fucking hangout, simple as.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:10 pm

[quote="Blonde"]I'd say it's a 'Do' and you don't even need a special day for that…[/
:oops:
I am sorry to see you having to justify yourself, I think the sound check idea is terrific, kinda what I was hoping for.
Apologies for being kiss arse!

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:42 pm

frank wrote: Well, why not have a soundcheck hangout;
Very intriguing idea and a creative solution to a logistics nightmare. Wouldn't mind that catching on with some of the other large bands I see.....

And off topic, I know, but so true about the effects on your back of standing. I work in an OR, and when I circulate and dash about, no problem. But when I'm scrubbed, standing for even 1-2 hours, so much worse!
shows? 90 so far...

inca

Post by inca » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:05 pm

darlenet. wrote:
frank wrote: Well, why not have a soundcheck hangout;
Very intriguing idea and a creative solution to a logistics nightmare. Wouldn't mind that catching on with some of the other large bands I see.....

And off topic, I know, but so true about the effects on your back of standing. I work in an OR, and when I circulate and dash about, no problem. But when I'm scrubbed, standing for even 1-2 hours, so much worse!
People dont realise, I had to quit a job because of my back, standing on a till, agony. I thought I could tough it out till I spent one break sat on the store room floor sobbing in pain barely able to move. Im lucky at the moment, had an episode last summer but I was able to work through it, had to limit what I did and take it easier. Not had an episode like it since, just general aches so counting my blessings

valderie

Post by valderie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:01 pm

inca wrote: People dont realise, I had to quit a job because of my back, standing on a till, agony. I thought I could tough it out till I spent one break sat on the store room floor sobbing in pain barely able to move. Im lucky at the moment, had an episode last summer but I was able to work through it, had to limit what I did and take it easier. Not had an episode like it since, just general aches so counting my blessings
been dealing with my back since '06 - and yeah prolonged periods of standing and sitting (in a chair without proper support) are like the worst things you could do - especially if you're out in the elements. glad you haven't had a bad attack lately though inca!

inca

Post by inca » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Thank you. I had a horse riding accident when i was 16. Its given me a bit of trouble since then last summer was thankfully the first really bad one that was completely unexpected. Normally i know whats caused the pain - like standing on tills- so i can normally take steps to reduce its impact, i cant imagine it been even half that bad for months on end and having to carry on work or study

lareinedeslames

Post by lareinedeslames » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 pm

frank wrote:I'm sorry, I've been biting my tongue for days, but I have to take issue with this.
Glad you did say something!
frank wrote:But I've had people say I've ripped them off because I didn't meet them, stuff like that, and it's bullshit.
Seriously? I'd just about given up on the idea of meeting you the show I went to just because my ride (my dear mom), was just too tired to stay out--and obviously was thrilled to catch a second with you leaving, but if I hadn't, then that would've just been that. The idea that someone "deserves" to meet you because they bought a ticket to the show is a little appalling.
darlenet. wrote:And off topic, I know, but so true about the effects on your back of standing.
inca wrote:People dont realise, I had to quit a job because of my back, standing on a till, agony.
Absolutely this. I don't even (apparently, at least) have spinal troubles, just very bad muscle issues with my lower back, and the last six months to a year that I worked at Starbucks was day after day of freaking agony; I would even get so desperate that I'd go into the ladies' room and lie on the floor there to do my stretches (after I'd cleaned it, but still).

The plan sounds like an excellent way to still keep the accessibility, do good things for a deserving organization, and not get killed. Hope everyone who participates enjoys it!