Request for O2 Arena. Feb 12

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Sami

Re: Request for O2 Arena. Feb 12

Post by Sami » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Evan wrote:
Bridgland9 wrote:I no way is franks music defined as a 'Springsteen Rip off'.
To be fair I'd always thought they'd be similar, seeing as frank is a big follower.
However, until I saw Bruce live it became apparent how different the act is. I saw frank in Bristol this year too. So it's easy to compare. For starters, bruce pulled off a 4hr concert, in front of 100k people with a 17 piece (I think) band behind in the E-Street.

Where as Frank has developed his success with a considerably smaller band with completely different instruments.

So no way can you call Frank a cheap rip off of the boss

I think you have clearly missed the point...

It is insulting to request a cover version. It basically says "I prefer this to any of your songs", which is akin to meeting the Pope and asking him to recite a few of your favorite passages from the Koran. This is Frank's biggest headline show to date, and I would guess that the vast majority of people going are not in the least bit interested in hearing an obscure Springsteen album track.
Amen. This "play a Bruce cover" with every band or artist is getting pretty old nowdays...
1326, 1327, 1385, 1527, 1536

helentx

Post by helentx » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Just for the record Frank played a cover (of a song he hadn't known before it was suggested to him) at his biggest headline show in the US last Saturday night in Boston. The crowd loved it. & at a tiny record store show (let's hear it for Main Street Music PA) he and Matt played Live & Let Die. I can't see it being an insult to say I'd like to hear that again. It's surely a compliment. A ton of new people are coming to his shows for the first time & hearing him play covers so if someone asks if he's thought of playing a particular song there's no need to be unwelcoming. In fact from the stage he shouts out to the new folks Welcome Aboard!

What's not to like about this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7fhGFCnOlQ

Or this one which I heard live as it was transmitted via livestream a few days after I found out about him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI2raZO73Ls

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:49 pm

helentx wrote:Just for the record Frank played a cover (of a song he hadn't known before it was suggested to him) at his biggest headline show in the US last Saturday night in Boston. The crowd loved it....

The "regional" covers were a special treat. I hope some of them find their way to an album (Maybe Third Three Years).
shows? 90 so far...

Bella

Post by Bella » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:45 am

Covers… hmmmm I’m in two minds

Some bands play covers because they haven’t written enough songs of their own to fill set time, (or enough good quality ones anyway!) Frank is not one of these – by a long, long way.

Some bands play covers because they like to share songs that they love - but they murder the song and it’s hideous – (also not frank) these bands need to stick to their own stuff …

With people like Frank who like to share, I think cover from time to time is ok, providing its done well. I’ve seen some really good ones from Frank’s regional covers in the USA. Anyone reading this who doesn’t already know I have done a list of Video links to songs Frank has covered – it’s in the music section. Please look at page one first!

The thing about Frank and covers for me is that I love the stuff he chooses to cover and I think he does it really well, but even though there is a list of songs as long as my arm that I would love to hear live, even though I’m grateful to have seen them via youtube, there is just something different, better, about actually being there and seeing it live. I don’t think I could ask for any of them though, because there are SOOooooooooo many of Frank’s own songs I want to hear.

Its Frank’s show, let him pick the setlist. :D

There are loads of songs I would love to ask him to play – but I don’t think I would very good at putting a setlist together. There is an art to it and I think he gets the balance right. It’s easy to forget, as an audience member, that whatever song we might want to hear because of what it means to us, it might mean something else to the singer/writer/band. Plus – if the band are in the mood to sing/play something they are going to give a better performance for us.

If Frank actually asked me what cover I wanted him to play – then I’d suggest something, but only if he asked, and that actually goes for his own songs too.

So.. yeah. Its Frank’s show, let him pick the setlist.

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

Watergirl

Post by Watergirl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm a fan of covers and of course I would love to hear Frank play a Bruce song, but he has done this many times, so I would prefer a bit of a surprise. It would be great if the 'regional cover' thing was continued in Europe. Plenty of choices in the U.K. It could get interesting in places like Poland…

A well chosen cover can go down really well, also with people who are not overly familiar with someone's stuff. I thought "Somebody to love" worked wonderfully well at Wembley.

Metallica are currently doing a thing whereby ticket holders to their upcoming shows are able to vote for a song they want to hear through some kind of link. Bruce Springsteen of course has been doing sign requests for a good few years now and this has resulted in genuinely rare stuff getting played, which is great for people who go to multiple gigs.

Just remembered a case a long time ago though whereby David Bowie was giving fans a chance to vote for a song they wanted to hear. This was pre internet and I think voting was by phone. The NME sabotaged this and "The laughing gnome" ended up as number 1….
872 1064/84/87/88 1133/34/84/85 *1216* 1257/81/82 1307/08/09/10 1364 1444/45/46/63 1527/29/30/43/45 1621/22/23/97/98 *1700* 1704/82/84/85/86 1808/29/30/31/76/77 1958/77/97/99 *2000* 2076/87 2153/54 2174/75/76/77/78 2254/55 2339/40/41/42/43/55/58/76

Bridgland9

Post by Bridgland9 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Again no. Frank plays awesome covers, and I know he occasionally likes to them in gigs. Like last time I saw him he did Van Halen and Meatloaf. And it was more a shot in the dark if he was doing one of my favourite bruce records.

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:50 pm

The only cover I find acceptable is Ben Marwood's 'The District Sleeps Alone Tonight.' Everything else by everyone else can bugger off.

I'd be really annoyed if Frank Turner played 'Racing In The Street' rather than one of his own songs as a result of a message board request. I prefer the requests for his own songs like 'A Decent Cup Of Tea' or 'Cassanova's Lament.' I love it when one of those oldsongs come out by surprise, not a Bruce Springsteen cover.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

skhmmxi

Post by skhmmxi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:55 am

If I might speak plainly (in fact: you know what, screw it, I'm going to speak plainly anyway): it's a show. You are there to be entertained by something created by someone else.

You can experience it, at some level you can participate in it, but you don't control it. frank and a whole bunch of other people spend a lot of time and money doing that for you. So let them.

Being able to listen to what you want is why recordings exist. If you're at a show, accept that frank is in charge of the playlist, and you're not. Enjoy the thrill of hearing something familiar, and the surprise of hearing something unexpected. And if you hear something that isn't in either category for you, then go take a moment to find the bar, or just hold tight for the next song. It really is as easy as that.
218,278,284,419,500,533,558,617-620,710,718,970,980,1000,1143,1216,1303,1321,1384,1441,1464,1518,1527,1545,1595,1611,next:RAH 29/03

Craven

Post by Craven » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:42 pm

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:The only cover I find acceptable is Ben Marwood's 'The District Sleeps Alone Tonight.' Everything else by everyone else can bugger off.

I'd be really annoyed if Frank Turner played 'Racing In The Street' rather than one of his own songs as a result of a message board request. I prefer the requests for his own songs like 'A Decent Cup Of Tea' or 'Cassanova's Lament.' I love it when one of those oldsongs come out by surprise, not a Bruce Springsteen cover.
Can I ask why Marwood is an exemption?

Marwood finished off a set last week with District and as much I enjoyed it there were several songs that I would have preferred rather than a cover.
683 727 909 1081 1082 1139 1216 1258 1289 1381 1442 1522 1539 1585 1611 1615 1681 1720 1790 1889 1955

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:26 pm

I guess its because it features on his album. Whereas the covers Frank has recorded have gone onto collections rather than proper albums.

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:58 am

Craven wrote:
drinkthesunshinezine wrote:The only cover I find acceptable is Ben Marwood's 'The District Sleeps Alone Tonight.' Everything else by everyone else can bugger off.

Can I ask why Marwood is an exemption?

Marwood finished off a set last week with District and as much I enjoyed it there were several songs that I would have preferred rather than a cover.
Good question. Several reasons. He has made that song his own. It has featured in most sets over the years and on an album. I never listen to the original version,so for me his version is the only one I know. And lastly, i love the way it builds up and how the audience sing along (although this didn't happen the last time I saw him as it was a 'pub goers' crowd rather than a 'ben marwood' crowd.

My first comment was slightly tongue in cheek as I love bands like the Pogues and half of their early songs are covers.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

Craven

Post by Craven » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:05 am

drinkthesunshinezine wrote: Good question. Several reasons. He has made that song his own. It has featured in most sets over the years and on an album. I never listen to the original version,so for me his version is the only one I know. And lastly, i love the way it builds up and how the audience sing along (although this didn't happen the last time I saw him as it was a 'pub goers' crowd rather than a 'ben marwood' crowd.
Thanks for replying. I can accept your points. The difference between you and me is that I spent a of time listening to the Postal Service, due to a friend loving that album, so I'm seeing it in a different light. There was also an incident involving that album and a crazy/stalker ex (who I continued to date for several years after :lol: ) that always gets me thinking what the fuck I was doing with her. :lol:
683 727 909 1081 1082 1139 1216 1258 1289 1381 1442 1522 1539 1585 1611 1615 1681 1720 1790 1889 1955

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:39 am

Craven wrote:
drinkthesunshinezine wrote: Good question. Several reasons. He has made that song his own. It has featured in most sets over the years and on an album. I never listen to the original version,so for me his version is the only one I know. And lastly, i love the way it builds up and how the audience sing along (although this didn't happen the last time I saw him as it was a 'pub goers' crowd rather than a 'ben marwood' crowd.
Thanks for replying. I can accept your points. The difference between you and me is that I spent a of time listening to the Postal Service, due to a friend loving that album, so I'm seeing it in a different light. There was also an incident involving that album and a crazy/stalker ex (who I continued to date for several years after :lol: ) that always gets me thinking what the fuck I was doing with her. :lol:
Yeah,I guess to me, 'District' is a Ben Marwood song whereas to you it is a Postal Service song.