Musical Reccomendations - Fidelity and Lack Thereof

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Jasonmorgan55

Musical Reccomendations - Fidelity and Lack Thereof

Post by Jasonmorgan55 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:58 am

Hi there Frank and Everybody!

I recently saw Frank in Vancouver, BC, and it was one of the greatest live shows I have seen in years. I had more fun seeing Frank then I did seeing Paul McCartney, and a "Hey Jude" sing along with 70000 other people is pretty damn fun! So thank you to Frank, all of the Sleeping Souls, The Smith Street Band, and Koo Koo Kangaroo! One hell of a show, one hell of a night!

And now the true nature of my posting. Very recently I went through a very painful time in my life, and "Tell Tale Signs" came out at a perfect time to help me with said pain. I recently discovered the one and only girl I have ever dated, and ever loved, cheated on me for our entire 2.5 year relationship, with multiple different men. I don't know an exact number of times, all I know is that it was numerous and reoccurring. Although it happened years ago, I finally discovered the truth and I was completely shattered. The song that helped me battle the pain was "Tell Tale Signs". I've listened to it hundreds of times as of late, going for long drives down the highway in an attempt to clear my mind, screaming along with the song, getting all my hatred and hurt out. It was, and still is, incredibly therapeutic for me, and I can't thank Frank and the Sleeping Souls enough for aiding me feel human again.

That aside, my question. Frank, and everybody, do you have any other songs, artists, albums, etc that revolve around the topic of betrayal and cheating specifically, that you absolutely adore? Ill always continuing to "Tell Tale Signs" but I'm looking for other artists takes on heartbreak and betrayal. Any and all genres. Would love to have some new songs to scream along to while driving down the highway. And anyone in the GVA, I do appoloize in advance if a lanky 20 something kid driving his parents baby blue Toyota Prius cuts you off on highway 1 seemingly screaming at nothing. Time heals all, including bad driving habits directly associated with hatred and anger.

Thanks in advance, everyone! Good luck with the rest of the tour Frank, Souls, Smith Street, and Kangaroo!

Cassie

Re: Musical Reccomendations - Fidelity and Lack Thereof

Post by Cassie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:07 pm

I feel for you man. I'm in the same boat. My marriage is at it's end for similar reasons and I discovered FT just in time.
I love Ani Difranco and she has two songs that really spell out how I feel. One is called School Night and the other is So What. They are sad and slow but extraordinarily well written. Franks other songs that get me screaming at the dash board is Worse Things Happen at Sea and Heartless Bastard Mother Fucker. The latter isn't so much a breakup song but when I sing (scream) it I feel like a Phoenix rising from the ashes of a broken heart. It always makes me feel astoundingly better. I'm really sorry for the messed up head your ex has left you with. I can sympathize. I hope time CAN heal bad driving habits associated with anger and hatred. There may be hope for me yet!

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Disclaimer: DRIVE SAFE. There is nothing more therapeutic than driving with loud angry music, but be careful.

Well, FT-wise, there's "Hold Your Tongue" and "Sunshine State" off "The First Three Years"....the first one is self-explanatory. The second starts off happy, but then halfway through the song has an angrier change of heart. Both of these are more quiet rage, which is still good rage, don't get me wrong....

There's also the second verse of "Substitute"...more of a quiet affirmation, but still. Sounds like your ex! And sorry about that, btw. Some people are cold. At least you found out now and not down the road.

Last FT-related recommendation is "You Go. I Stay. No Following" by Look Mexico featuring FT. Look Mexico is fucking amazing, and I could get into what the lead singer's voice does to me, but let's keep this PG. The song isn't REALLY about cheating, but you'll get why I recommend it when you hear it.

Others (haha, some of these are lady-centric, but it works):
- "Piece of my Heart" - Janis Joplin
- "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morrissette
- "Erase You" - Fighting with Wire
- "Seventy times Seven" - Brand New
- "Heartbreaker" - Led Zeppelin
- "All That I've Got" - The Used
- "How Many More Times" - Led Zeppelin
- "Cryin'" - Aerosmith
- "Your Time is Gunna Come" - Led Zeppelin
- "Fool in the Rain" - Led Zeppelin

Pop-ish:
- "Fuck It (I Don't Want You Back)" - Eamon
- "Cry Me A River" - Justin Timberlake
- "Breakin' Dishes" - Rihanna
And let's be real here. The ultimate:
-"Since U Been Gone" - Kelly Clarkson

I BEG OF YOU, stay the HELL the way from Adele. She is lovely, but you'll start texting your ex and ain't nobody got time for that.

And when you need a pick-me-up at the end, use this one to look ahead for the future:
- "Fidelity" - Regina Spektor

Start with that, I'll think of more :)
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Bella

Post by Bella » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:11 pm

There’s a few FWW songs ….

Last Love Song
Photographs
I Should Let You Go
Last Chance
Long Distance

:-)

slightly different but I love Bonfire by Lamb

"Have you ever wondered why those days exist
When life just seems to be the conspiracy against you
I don`t know where the answers lie
But I try not to get hung up on the questions...."

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

Jasonmorgan55

Post by Jasonmorgan55 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Cassie wrote:I feel for you man. I'm in the same boat. My marriage is at it's end for similar reasons and I discovered FT just in time.
I love Ani Difranco and she has two songs that really spell out how I feel. One is called School Night and the other is So What. They are sad and slow but extraordinarily well written. Franks other songs that get me screaming at the dash board is Worse Things Happen at Sea and Heartless Bastard Mother Fucker. The latter isn't so much a breakup song but when I sing (scream) it I feel like a Phoenix rising from the ashes of a broken heart. It always makes me feel astoundingly better. I'm really sorry for the messed up head your ex has left you with. I can sympathize. I hope time CAN heal bad driving habits associated with anger and hatred. There may be hope for me yet!
Worse things happen at sea was the first FT song I ever heard... When he gets to the breakdown verse I breakdown right along with him Ahaha! Thanks for the suggestions, I shall listen to them all :)
1477, 1759, 1760, 1847, 1848, 1849, 1939, 2017, 2101, 2195, 2228, 2340, 2341, 2343

Jasonmorgan55

Post by Jasonmorgan55 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Venomous_Bear wrote:Disclaimer: DRIVE SAFE. There is nothing more therapeutic than driving with loud angry music, but be careful.

Well, FT-wise, there's "Hold Your Tongue" and "Sunshine State" off "The First Three Years"....the first one is self-explanatory. The second starts off happy, but then halfway through the song has an angrier change of heart. Both of these are more quiet rage, which is still good rage, don't get me wrong....

There's also the second verse of "Substitute"...more of a quiet affirmation, but still. Sounds like your ex! And sorry about that, btw. Some people are cold. At least you found out now and not down the road.

Last FT-related recommendation is "You Go. I Stay. No Following" by Look Mexico featuring FT. Look Mexico is fucking amazing, and I could get into what the lead singer's voice does to me, but let's keep this PG. The song isn't REALLY about cheating, but you'll get why I recommend it when you hear it.

Others (haha, some of these are lady-centric, but it works):
- "Piece of my Heart" - Janis Joplin
- "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morrissette
- "Erase You" - Fighting with Wire
- "Seventy times Seven" - Brand New
- "Heartbreaker" - Led Zeppelin
- "All That I've Got" - The Used
- "How Many More Times" - Led Zeppelin
- "Cryin'" - Aerosmith
- "Your Time is Gunna Come" - Led Zeppelin
- "Fool in the Rain" - Led Zeppelin

Pop-ish:
- "Fuck It (I Don't Want You Back)" - Eamon
- "Cry Me A River" - Justin Timberlake
- "Breakin' Dishes" - Rihanna
And let's be real here. The ultimate:
-"Since U Been Gone" - Kelly Clarkson

I BEG OF YOU, stay the HELL the way from Adele. She is lovely, but you'll start texting your ex and ain't nobody got time for that.

And when you need a pick-me-up at the end, use this one to look ahead for the future:
- "Fidelity" - Regina Spektor

Start with that, I'll think of more :)
Substitute has been another one that I've played quite frequently just because of tht verse... There's a lot f lyrics that hit home. Thanks for the suggestions :)
1477, 1759, 1760, 1847, 1848, 1849, 1939, 2017, 2101, 2195, 2228, 2340, 2341, 2343

Jasonmorgan55

Post by Jasonmorgan55 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Bella wrote:There’s a few FWW songs ….

Last Love Song
Photographs
I Should Let You Go
Last Chance
Long Distance

:-)

slightly different but I love Bonfire by Lamb

"Have you ever wondered why those days exist
When life just seems to be the conspiracy against you
I don`t know where the answers lie
But I try not to get hung up on the questions...."

Bella
x
Ill give those a listen tonight once I'm off work :) I have a massive was cold currently so sitting with some tea and/or beer and listening to music seems perfect to me :) thank you!

Bella

Post by Bella » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:51 am

if you don't own any Fighting with Wire, their latest album Colonel Blood came out on the Xtramile lable

everything else you can buy here

http://www.independentmusic.com/artists ... -with-wire

they split up this year unforunatly - Sooo good live!

and you might also like Jetplane landing (Cahir and Craig both from FWW are in JPL and they have been freinds for years) also amazing live - if Frank ever releases the band members he has kidnapped over the years - dive Dive are great live (or so I've heard - not seen them live myself)

Jetplane Landing's album Don't Try is kinda on repeat at the moment... in the theme of this thread there is a song on there called Broken By People :wink: :D

I'm teaching my neighbours the words :wink: which is obviously working since I've hear people humming bits of that album walking down the highstreet (and Chuck Ragan too - great to hear Meet You In The Middle being sung in the supermarket)

(go buy it - you know you want to ... http://www.independentmusic.com/artists ... ne-landing )

Lamb...

several albums - Bonfire is from Fear of Fours - probably my favorite. I just love Lou's voice. They put on a great live show too.

enjoy

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

LoveStreet

Post by LoveStreet » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Hold Your Breath-Ben Marwood
(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:00 am

The ataris -
The last song I will ever write about a girl (or anything off end is forever or blue skies,broken hearts).

Mr T Experience -
Even Hitler had a girlfriend

Jeffrey Lewis -
broken,broken heart.
Don't be upset.

The Wave Pictures -
Now you are pregnant (more about unrequited love really, but a brilliant song nonetheless).
Instant Coffee Baby

The Mountain Goats -

Woke Up New
Last edited by drinkthesunshinezine on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:15 am

Ben Marwood- Lock and Key....
You can literally spit venom singing along to this one ;) !

js2

Post by js2 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:45 am

Screamed along to 'Substitute' and 'Worse Things Happen At Sea' last time I saw Frank. Helped immensely.

'Good Luck' by Reuben is a good one.
26/11/11, 13/11/12, 17/4/13, 9/2/14, 28/6/14(MH)
Next: 29/1/15

Tumblr:
http://letsbeheroesletsbemartyrs.tumblr.com
Other interests include Manic Street Preachers, future of the left, the unbelievable hopelessness of the human race and really bad jokes.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Doesn't substitute allude to having several one night stands?!

Wisdom Teeth gives you the other side of the coin, when you want to move away from anger and sadness towards acceptance and forgiveness.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.