Books?

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Gleena

Re: Books?

Post by Gleena » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:53 pm

frank wrote:Everyone, seriously everyone, should read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-1989-F ... 0307387925

Ordered!
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 am

OK I admit it, I have shit taste, hangs head in shame.

Lupemankell

Post by Lupemankell » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 am

sarahg wrote:OK I admit it, I have shit taste, hangs head in shame.
If you like the things you read, there's no need to hang you head in shame.

moomin

Post by moomin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 am

I feel this is only necessary if you like Dan Brown ;)

anne

Post by anne » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:22 pm

moomin wrote:
Uh,oh. ASSHOLE ALERT IN 3...2...1... I've read Dan Browns books. And enjoyed some of them but this new one (Inferno) is rubbish with a capital SHIT.

moomin

Post by moomin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 pm

anne wrote:
moomin wrote:
Uh,oh. ASSHOLE ALERT IN 3...2...1... I've read Dan Browns books. And enjoyed some of them but this new one (Inferno) is rubbish with a capital SHIT.
:lol:

I tried and failed with that first big one (name escapes me), found it like wading through mud, and not even festival mud, just mud. You are clearly not alone in liking him though, seems fairly popular.

Did watch a bit of the movie and found myself getting annoyed at how obviously it was going to end. It then ended exactly how I thought and that was the final nail in the coffin for him and I.

So go hang your head in shame while I pretend literary high ground and re read the Moomins ;)

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Thanks guys, :D , feel fractionally better, although (shhhh don't tell anyone) I have read a couple of Dan Brown's, all the Harry Potters and a Terry Pratchet...
I haven't read Fifty shades of grey though!
Oh and I couldn't get past 200 pages of Crime and Punishment. I am a bad, bad person.

Bella

Post by Bella » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite authors, very clever writing.

Lots of little clever language things, little sentences that if you read out loud mean one thing but when you look a the spelling of the word, then apply the meaning associated with the spelling, it changes the entire context :-)

His books are funny enough if you just take them as they are but if you know what he is taking the micky out of - then the books are 10 times funnier.

Wyrd Sisters = take on "Macbeth"
Moving Pictures = Hollywood/the film industry
Soul Music = The music industry/Buddy Holly ;-)
Masquerade = Phantom of the Opera
The Last Continent = Australia

I like a lot of sci fi and fantasy stuff, and I collect myths/legends/folklore. I love short stories especially when I'm traveling - just enough to read at the station/airport without getting so involved I have to read on to find out what happens next... my latest acquisition is called "Worst Things Happen At Sea" its a collection of true short stories about the sea put together to raise money for the RNLI :-)

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

xandmatt

Post by xandmatt » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:17 am

I'm always meaning to read more Discworld books. I've read a few, but always mean to catch up. Loved the one I've read though.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:47 pm

After this thread I'm now 20% into Fugitive Pieces and adore it so far. Interesting to come across the words that seem to have inspired "One Foot Before the Other."

For light reading I enjoy Gaimon. "Good Omens" is a favorite.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

Bella

Post by Bella » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:51 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:After this thread I'm now 20% into Fugitive Pieces and adore it so far. Interesting to come across the words that seem to have inspired "One Foot Before the Other."

For light reading I enjoy Gaimon. "Good Omens" is a favorite.

having only seen the first Omen movie was still enough to make Good Omens (co written with Terry Pratchett) hysterically funny - still one of my favorites, so many sneaky references to the film and a tone of other Folklore & Apocalypse stuff :-)

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

moomin

Post by moomin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Bella wrote:
I like a lot of sci fi and fantasy stuff, and I collect myths/legends/folklore. I love short stories especially when I'm traveling - just enough to read at the station/airport without getting so involved I have to read on to find out what happens next... my latest acquisition is called "Worst Things Happen At Sea" its a collection of true short stories about the sea put together to raise money for the RNLI :-)
that sounds like one for me as one of my favourite books is In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
the story is listed as the inspiration for Moby Dick which I maybe should get around to reading at some point

Been trying to finish all the half read books I have lying around and have just finished If Walls Could Talk: An Intimate History of the Home which I really enjoyed. Plenty for feminists to get angry at as well.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:19 pm

moomin wrote: the story is listed as the inspiration for Moby Dick which I maybe should get around to reading at some point.
Talk about impenetrable! Entire chapters dedicated to things like rope used on whaling vessels. Worst book I was ever forced to read. On second thought, it may be tied with "Stranger in a Strange Land". I have tried to read it again even as an adult to see if I get a better perspective on it and I just CANNOT do it.

I like dystopias apparently. I loved "1984" of course and "Brave New World" even more. Even liked the YA Hunger Games trilogy. On TV/movies I tend to enjoy them as well (The Walking Dead, Under the Dome, 28 Days Later). Anyone have a good dystopia to recommend?
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:31 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote: I like dystopias apparently. I loved "1984" of course and "Brave New World" even more. Even liked the YA Hunger Games trilogy. On TV/movies I tend to enjoy them as well (The Walking Dead, Under the Dome, 28 Days Later). Anyone have a good dystopia to recommend?
Blind Faith by Ben Elton is the latest one I've read. I quite enjoyed that.

moomin

Post by moomin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:27 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:
moomin wrote: the story is listed as the inspiration for Moby Dick which I maybe should get around to reading at some point.
Talk about impenetrable! Entire chapters dedicated to things like rope used on whaling vessels. Worst book I was ever forced to read.
:shock:
this maybe why I haven't attempted the read.
Thankfully Heart of the sea is not like that.

just discovered a whole host of books on my Kindle I haven't yet read. This is going to be a busy year