Books?

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

anne

Re: Books?

Post by anne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:47 am

seamiedev wrote:
frank wrote:Fugitive Pieces by Ann Michaels.
Not this then Frank ?? :mrgreen:

Haha! Awesome. Terrible book but makes a great song!

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 am

anne wrote:I'll read just about any subject. I suppose I like historical/period stories
Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, set in Russia during the Stalin era. I've just discovered its being made into a film.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 am

Frank recommended me this a while ago, don't bother, it's utterly impenetrable :)
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 am

minorkeys wrote:
Rubber_Soul wrote:Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace.
I second this. Great read!
How does it compare to his non fiction stuff? I've been putting off reading it fearing disappointment.
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

moomin

Post by moomin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 am

Tomasz wrote:
Frank recommended me this a while ago, don't bother, it's utterly impenetrable :)
I didn't find it to be so

Bob the cat one, have met Bob so was interested to read the book, interesting story but wasn't overly taken with it to be honest.
100 year old man I am still reading, very engaging though.

Attempting to read Storyteller of Marrakesh, enjoying the scenery of the book but the narrative is very dreamlike and am finding you have to be in the mood for a dreamy story to get through it. So good for seriously hot days.

If you like travel books, my favourite has to be Vroom with a View. Peter Moore buys an original Vespa and goes around Italy on it, the bike brings out some very interesting people who dot his journey with memories of past and romance. Very good and makes you want to drop everything and go to Italy immediately.

Fantasy, Robin Hobb
Action, Stephen Leather

The next book I have lined up is The Great Belzoni, The Circus Strongman who discovered Egypt's Treasures.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 am

anne wrote:
sarahg wrote:I am a mad cat lady...so my favourite at the moment is A street cat named Bob....
I also have a cat problem. ;) I wore my Cat Flag (Black Flag) shirt to Frank's show on Sun night and got loads of compliments. I guess we're in good company. So far I'm digging the Old Man Who.... And I, Partridge (hes a funny bastard) But I will check this cat story out. Meow.
Ah ha! Cat people are the best :D ! If you want an uplifting tale look no further than Street cat named Bob, it's a true story of a homeless heroine addict and how a moggie has saved his life!
Meow!

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:35 am

sarahg wrote: If you want an uplifting tale look no further than Street cat named Bob, it's a true story of a homeless heroine addict and how a moggie has saved his life!
Meow!
Dreadfully written book. The story was nice and all, but it was like it was written by the cat. Awful.

A Cat Called Norton is a much better cat book
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:46 am

I have the typical Yank affliction of love for all things English, and I'm reading Peter Ackroyd's London: The Biography. I just finished John Birmingham's Leviathan: An Unauthorised Biography of Sydney, but I've read that quite a few times since I have an occasional sideline business giving history tours and he's got some really good, offbeat stories.

This is all procrastination to keep me away from my Corps Law book, which is what I should be reading. Do Not Recommend, however.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

minorkeys

Post by minorkeys » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Tomasz wrote:
minorkeys wrote:
Rubber_Soul wrote:Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace.
I second this. Great read!
How does it compare to his non fiction stuff? I've been putting off reading it fearing disappointment.
I've read a few of his other books and I think Charlotte Street keeps within the same writing style, despite it being fiction. I'm sure you would enjoy it if you like his other books. :D

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Evan wrote:
sarahg wrote: If you want an uplifting tale look no further than Street cat named Bob, it's a true story of a homeless heroine addict and how a moggie has saved his life!
Meow!
Dreadfully written book. The story was nice and all, but it was like it was written by the cat. Awful.

Yes true, but I liked it's authenticity.
:oops:

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:13 pm

sarahg wrote:
Evan wrote:
Meow!

Yes true, but I liked it's authenticity.
:oops:
I only read it as I used to see them around Covent Garden, but was really let down by the poor quality of story telling.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Everyone, seriously everyone, should read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-1989-F ... 0307387925
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

anne

Post by anne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 pm

frank wrote:Everyone, seriously everyone, should read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-1989-F ... 0307387925
That one I can handle on a beach. ;) I was 14 at this point in time and it was the first time I truly appreciated that I was witnessing history.

anne

Post by anne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Gleena wrote:I have the typical Yank affliction of love for all things English, and I'm reading Peter Ackroyd's London: The Biography. I just finished John Birmingham's Leviathan: An Unauthorised Biography of Sydney, but I've read that quite a few times since I have an occasional sideline business giving history tours and he's got some really good, offbeat stories.

This is all procrastination to keep me away from my Corps Law book, which is what I should be reading. Do Not Recommend, however.
Thank u. I will check out both of these. Been to London once (reminded me of home,Boston) and can't wait to go to Sydney. :)

Lupemankell

Post by Lupemankell » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:26 pm

'Why We Took the Car ' will be out in January 2014, crap translated title. In german it is called 'tschick'. I gave it to every birthday and wedding and whenever possible in the last 2 years. After reading the book for the first time I called a friend and we decided to steal a Lada ( russian car) too and travel through germany. In the end we didn't. But its a great book for every age. It was released as a book for young adults. But I recommend it even to 80years old readers. And they always come back and are very happy.

Fugitive Places is the book , which I always want to read next, whenever I put it back on the shelf. But working at a library provides me with more 'next to read books' that I can handle.