What makes a gig a gig?

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

moomin

What makes a gig a gig?

Post by moomin » Wed May 29, 2013 1:46 pm

I know this has been raised in another forum on here but I am really interested to know what makes a gig a gig
what are the qualifying factors to be allowed into the hall of fame (gig listing)
for example why are some of the radio sessions in the listing and others aren't?

I am guessing the basics are playing live to an audience of real people but is there anything else?

frank
Site Admin

Re: What makes a gig a gig?

Post by frank » Thu May 30, 2013 9:32 am

that's basically it. i guess it's just a feel thing for me. if the focus of the event is on the radio broadcast, it's probably not a show (i mean, there's almost always people watching when you do radio). if i'm facing an audience from a stage and playing, that feels like a gig to me, even if it's for radio.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

moomin

Post by moomin » Fri May 31, 2013 8:30 pm

so because the audience is in a different room in the XFM studios that wouldn't count whereas Kerrang have a little stage so is more likely to count?
That makes sense

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:05 am

The latest Kerrang Radio session hasn't made it to gig status though, which is a shame cos it'll be the last one.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Blonde wrote:The latest Kerrang Radio session hasn't made it to gig status though, which is a shame cos it'll be the last one.
it is a shame about K radio.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 pm

frank wrote:
Blonde wrote:The latest Kerrang Radio session hasn't made it to gig status though, which is a shame cos it'll be the last one.
it is a shame about K radio.
I never got chance to listen to it often enough, I'm just that little bit too far away (H26 could get it though)

I heard it was staying as an online radio so it isn't disappearing completely.

inca

Post by inca » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:35 pm

It will disappear from all our taxis. Who's going to keep a fleet of car drivers happy now? The kids joke we should be called kerrang taxis. No way the boss will get us digital radios

KangarooAlice

Post by KangarooAlice » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:27 am

Gutted about Kerrang! Radio, I rely on Matt Stocks shows to hear about new music! I'm not near enough to get Birmingham FM broadcast, but it's nice to know something so good music-wise is based in the Midlands. All Northampton has is Alan Carr and Matt Smith haha! Does anyone know who the presenters will be once it moves to London? And where in London? It doesn't seem the same, somehow.
"I'm not hungover, I have the Booze Blues!!"

moomin

Post by moomin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:45 pm

WHAT?

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:27 am

Nashville's radio show Sunday is a "gig" in my eyes, listing or not. It'll be my kid's first show, too, and she acts like Frank will be whiting his beard, donning a red suit, and passing out toys.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman