Uk dates

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Uk dates

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 pm

Well, he already said he wouldn't do that, even after industry-folk tried to get him to.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

skhmmxi
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:31 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Uk dates

Post by skhmmxi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Venomous_Bear wrote:Nerded out there for a few. It's just...ahh. I can't even imagine how many emails you get, and this would help. I have another idea but this is long and may be useless if it's something you've considered and ruled out.
I know some notable people have tried this kind of thing before, but some of the more irrational fans tend to react badly, in the sort of frothy-mouthed angry "I can't believe you treat your fans this way, you should be grateful they want to contact you at all! Screw you, I'm never buying any of your music again!" fashion. It also creates a risk that someone who does need to get in touch with frank urgently won't get through, or will be frustrated by the roadblocks and will give up.

This entire site, the fact that he sticks around on this forum, the fact he hangs around in the crowd at shows, punches up his sporadic thoughts on twitter, engages in short chats between songs with the crowd, it's all about maintaining the access for his fans (yes, even the properly crazy stalker ones). Mess with that in the slightest, even in a well-intentioned fashion, and it might end up being commercially harmful.

I'm sure at some point frank will have to delegate his inbox (if he hasn't quietly done so already, he is filling arenas now, after all) to someone else to have any chance of getting through it. Until then, I guess the mental crazy stalker fans are part of the 'experience'.
218,278,284,419,500,533,558,617-620,710,718,970,980,1000,1143,1216,1303,1321,1384,1441,1464,1518,1527,1545,1595,1611,next:RAH 29/03

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Uk dates

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:58 pm

skhmmxi wrote:
Venomous_Bear wrote:Nerded out there for a few. It's just...ahh. I can't even imagine how many emails you get, and this would help. I have another idea but this is long and may be useless if it's something you've considered and ruled out.
I know some notable people have tried this kind of thing before, but some of the more irrational fans tend to react badly, in the sort of frothy-mouthed angry "I can't believe you treat your fans this way, you should be grateful they want to contact you at all! Screw you, I'm never buying any of your music again!" fashion. It also creates a risk that someone who does need to get in touch with frank urgently won't get through, or will be frustrated by the roadblocks and will give up.

This entire site, the fact that he sticks around on this forum, the fact he hangs around in the crowd at shows, punches up his sporadic thoughts on twitter, engages in short chats between songs with the crowd, it's all about maintaining the access for his fans (yes, even the properly crazy stalker ones). Mess with that in the slightest, even in a well-intentioned fashion, and it might end up being commercially harmful.

I'm sure at some point frank will have to delegate his inbox (if he hasn't quietly done so already, he is filling arenas now, after all) to someone else to have any chance of getting through it. Until then, I guess the mental crazy stalker fans are part of the 'experience'.
Very good points. The thing is though...the only reason I personally have ever contacted Frank was because I could. I have never even sent a fan letter to any other band in all of my years of being obsessed with music, partially because they might be dicks about it, but mostly because it was too hard to do so. So I just kept buying their shit, googling questions I had, and going to their shows, like a good little anonymous fan. Other than forumhood, I have gone back to this now, as holy fuck.

Even if it were to "harm"...are people really fans if they expect him to also be their best e-pal, in addition to booking shows all over the damn world at every moment? This isn't a fair comparison, but I technically don't have set hours in my job. If I were "lucky" enough to have a never-ending amount of work, plus thousands of people emailing me to tell me how good or shit they thought I was, and to ask when I was coming to a certain other site because they didn't know I was already there two weeks ago, etc., etc...I would leave on the next flight/voyage to Elba, sans laptop, phone, and everything that connects me remotely to anything else.

Point is, it's amazing that he does this. It's fucking amazing. But it's futile if he ends up hating the world because of the volume of unfiltered contact. I freaking hope he's delegating secretly (don't answer that). Plus, the secrecy of the email inspires a ramp-up in the level of crazy. If he only had the "Ask Me" section of the forum, we could help. Understandably, this brings a whole new level of danger, as we are not his spokespeople. Hhhhh. There is just no answer.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Uk dates

Post by frank » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:12 pm

ha. i'm not delegating or filtering. there are days when it can be a bit tiresome (immediately after announcing a tour being one) but overall the benefits of it massively outweigh the drawbacks, so i'm happy to keep going.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Uk dates

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:49 pm

frank wrote:ha. i'm not delegating or filtering. there are days when it can be a bit tiresome (immediately after announcing a tour being one) but overall the benefits of it massively outweigh the drawbacks, so i'm happy to keep going.
Innnnnnncredible :)
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

reitzel6570
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:46 pm
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

Re: Uk dates

Post by reitzel6570 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:16 am

ha. i'm not delegating or filtering.
That's a relief. I was already imagining the automatic filtering system that would reply to me: "For fuck's sake, Reitzel6570, how many emails are you going to send Frank? You are obviously a stalker. Get a life."

User avatar
agirlnamedfred
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Uk dates

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:59 pm

There are three things that make me a rabid FT fan:

1) Music, obviously;
2) The things not exactly directly related to the music but definitely incorporated within it, specifically how clearly intelligent and well-educated (self education as much as anything formal) and the ethos this creates within music and interviews; and
3) The way he makes one feel like they are "part" of something. The twitter updates, this forum, the blog back when he updated it regularly (::raises eyebrows imploringly::), silly little videos and interviews that invite us into his inner circle like the "how to pack for a tour" video yesterday, inclusion of other people's art in Tape Deck Art, and of course the live shows, audience participation, words used to make us feel like fucking equals, "magic" created when everyone sings at the same time, accessibility after the show...it all goes together and supplements 1 and 2 and makes, in my opinion, Frank Turner, musician, into something much more than just the sum of his songs. Maybe it's all an act and I'm the most naive sucker ever, but I think it's very genuine. As much as a royal PITA as his emails surely must be some day, and as understandable as it would be for him to "delegate" them, I for one am glad he doesn't. I think it would detract from number 3.

Once again I've rambled, sorry.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Uk dates

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 pm

All of that, more eloquently than I could have ever have stated it. From now on, I will just refer to that when people ask me about this Turner fellow. ;)
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

helentx
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: London

Re: Uk dates

Post by helentx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:48 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:There are three things that make me a rabid FT fan:

1) Music, obviously;
2) The things not exactly directly related to the music but definitely incorporated within it, specifically how clearly intelligent and well-educated (self education as much as anything formal) and the ethos this creates within music and interviews; and
3) The way he makes one feel like they are "part" of something. The twitter updates, this forum, the blog back when he updated it regularly (::raises eyebrows imploringly::), silly little videos and interviews that invite us into his inner circle like the "how to pack for a tour" video yesterday, inclusion of other people's art in Tape Deck Art, and of course the live shows, audience participation, words used to make us feel like fucking equals, "magic" created when everyone sings at the same time, accessibility after the show...it all goes together and supplements 1 and 2 and makes, in my opinion, Frank Turner, musician, into something much more than just the sum of his songs. Maybe it's all an act and I'm the most naive sucker ever, but I think it's very genuine. As much as a royal PITA as his emails surely must be some day, and as understandable as it would be for him to "delegate" them, I for one am glad he doesn't. I think it would detract from number 3.

Once again I've rambled, sorry.
Yes all of that - you didn't ramble. & I miss the blogs too!

sarahg
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 am

Re: Uk dates

Post by sarahg » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:15 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:There are three things that make me a rabid FT fan:

1) Music, obviously;
2) The things not exactly directly related to the music but definitely incorporated within it, specifically how clearly intelligent and well-educated (self education as much as anything formal) and the ethos this creates within music and interviews; and
3) The way he makes one feel like they are "part" of something. The twitter updates, this forum, the blog back when he updated it regularly (::raises eyebrows imploringly::), silly little videos and interviews that invite us into his inner circle like the "how to pack for a tour" video yesterday, inclusion of other people's art in Tape Deck Art, and of course the live shows, audience participation, words used to make us feel like fucking equals, "magic" created when everyone sings at the same time, accessibility after the show...it all goes together and supplements 1 and 2 and makes, in my opinion, Frank Turner, musician, into something much more than just the sum of his songs. Maybe it's all an act and I'm the most naive sucker ever, but I think it's very genuine. As much as a royal PITA as his emails surely must be some day, and as understandable as it would be for him to "delegate" them, I for one am glad he doesn't. I think it would detract from number 3.

Once again I've rambled, sorry.
Yup that sums it up beautifully!

moomin
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: Uk dates

Post by moomin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:30 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote: the blog back when he updated it regularly (::raises eyebrows imploringly::),
like this?
Image

User avatar
agirlnamedfred
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Uk dates

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 pm

moomin wrote:
agirlnamedfred wrote: the blog back when he updated it regularly (::raises eyebrows imploringly::),
like this?
Image
I look EXACTLY like a cat. How did you know? Are my privacy settings too lax?

Ironically, not long after I posted this, Frank posted a link to a new blog on Facebook (about the tour and questions he's been bombarded with).
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Uk dates

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Yes, Frank, we've come from trying to save you time, to asking if you can keep doing the stuff you stopped doing because you are busy doing the other stuff. All within the course of about a page of forum deliberation. ;) you're welcome! Hahaha
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Craven
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Uk dates

Post by Craven » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:Ironically, not long after I posted this, Frank posted a link to a new blog on Facebook (about the tour and questions he's been bombarded with).
Just read it and the comments, about half way down is a comment from one of my students, I must be doing a good job. :D
683 727 909 1081 1082 1139 1216 1258 1289 1381 1442 1522 1539 1585 1611 1615 1681 1720 1790 1889 1955

User avatar
agirlnamedfred
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Uk dates

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Venomous_Bear wrote:Yes, Frank, we've come from trying to save you time, to asking if you can keep doing the stuff you stopped doing because you are busy doing the other stuff. All within the course of about a page of forum deliberation. ;) you're welcome! Hahaha
If we could just clone him he could go back to playing everyone's birthday parties AND save himself time!
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests