how does it feel?

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

liamsmyth

how does it feel?

Post by liamsmyth » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but I think almost everybody who's ever picked up a guitar has dreamed of headlining Wembley and being number 2 in the UK album charts...no matter how "alternative" some people claim to be...so the one question is....does it feel anywhere near as fucking awesome as I think it must to know that all that hard work has finally paid off, and you've "made" it so to speak? (Not saying that was your intention at any time...but come on, you must have wanted it a little bit? haha) but seriously, well done man! To have done it entirely through hard work and talent and without the backing of a major label or external songwriters...living quite a few people's dream at the moment! And, for the record, I think you've just earned the ultimate bragging rights in the pub as an old man ;)

frank
Site Admin

Re: how does it feel?

Post by frank » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:20 pm

interesting question. there are parts of it that feel fucking great. getting the call about the chart position was amazing. people singing back the new songs. just being able to release new music and have a lot of people give a shit, it's great. there are downsides. it's easy to feel slightly hounded at times, there's a lot of demands on my time and a lot of people with opinions about the record, for good and ill, all of which can be affecting. Sometimes I have to remember to shut the world out for a while, if you see what I mean, and just be normal. Urgh. I feel like I could write a book about this sometimes, and like I know nothing about it at all at others.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

liamsmyth

Post by liamsmyth » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Funnily enough, I was having exactly the same conversation with my mum the other night...haha! Basically saying how it would be awesome to "get big" or whatever, but then, how shit it would be to wake up one morning and realize I couldn't go down the pub with my mates like a "normal" person for fear of being hounded (not that I think you're quite at that stage yet) and think about the friends that I'd lost along the way to get there...to be honest, I think I would absolutely hate your job -- and it is a job! (not that if someone offered me a career playing guitar and seeing the world I'd say no...I think anyone would) but I think it's quite poignant to think of all the supremely talented people who've destroyed themselves completely when they've got to that stage (Think Freddie, Bon Scott, Cobain, Phil Lynot, Hendrix) all of which it seems were just regular guys who couldn't cope with the new found pressures and turned to drink and drugs...yet it is still every schoolboys dream. Thanks for the great answer though; I thought it would probably be the closest I could ever get (or if I'm completely honest would ever WANT to get) to knowing for myself. A real double edged sword I feel. It's funny that if nothing else, now when I tell my friends I'm going to a show I get "he's the one that did that new single right? recovery or something?" rather than a blank stare :P

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 pm

frank wrote:Sometimes I have to remember to shut the world out for a while, if you see what I mean, and just be normal.
Congratulations on your success. It is so deserved. I would be stunned if you don't handle your increasing fame with grace and aplomb.

But I have always found this quote by Rosemary Clooney very humbling and most likely true,"In the final analysis, it's true that fame is unimportant. No matter how great a man is, the size of his funeral usually depends on the weather."

Take care,

darlene
shows? 90 so far...

marowak

Post by marowak » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

frank wrote:Sometimes I have to remember to shut the world out for a while, if you see what I mean, and just be normal.
i think more than any other musician i have ever met - you are able to do that - the thing to remember throughout all of this is - you deserve every single bit of success that comes your way.

but to me - you will always be the guy who left his boxer shorts in my sleeping bag - ha.

( nb - for anyone reading that - its not some kind of weird kinky sex thing ... )
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

andy942

Post by andy942 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 am

Most of us can relate and know how to deal wih failure[s] - success like this i imagine can be quite the unchartered sea, and reason enough to bring many examples in this realm heartache.

Fair play for keeping your head above water and entertaining us all these years.

Thank You

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:30 pm

been thinking about this overnight. that last reply wasn't supposed to be too gloom and doom. i'm in a lovely place right now, it's very satisfying to see things pay off. i guess the thing is that there are moments when you have to accept that you can't control everything, can't micromanage every opinion or whatever. you just have to let the boxcar run and see where it takes you. take your hands off the wheel. mix your metaphors. haha.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

possnoah

Post by possnoah » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:35 pm

frank wrote:Urgh. I feel like I could write a book about this sometimes.
Please do one day!
.....wait, did I just become one of the hounds? haha
Anyways, great work Frank!

liamsmyth

Post by liamsmyth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Bet you never saw this coming when you started a little band called million dead haha...but seriously, how many people can say they've sold more records during a weak period than anyone other than Michael Bublé, opened the london olympics, headlined Wembley and done it all while sticking to the same minor label that championed your first hardcore band and retaining complete artistic control over your music...must be quite a select club haha! Just saying I can imagine it being a bit of an "Oh shit" moment aswell...I think everybody wants to be the rock star until they actually get there, then they just want to go back to their old life...well done though, hard earned success, and fuck the nay-sayers, if you need or want anyone else to think your punk, you're about as far from punk as you can get imo.