Tell Tale Signs

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Vancha1989

Tell Tale Signs

Post by Vancha1989 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi Frank,

Absolutely love the new album, but I have a question about Tell Tale Signs. I listened to live versions of the song quite a lot before the album release and as compared to the album version it feels rawer. You seem to hold back quite a lot on the album version, especially towards the end where it was really belted out live with a lot of emotion. Was this something you consciously tried to avoid doing on the album version? What was the thought process behind that? I've read elsewhere on the forum that this was the song that you did 42 takes of, why was this? What was it that the producer was asking you to change exactly?

Love both versions but definitely prefer it live, was gutted not to hear it at Leeds the other day! Thanks for another great album, you're the man :)

For reference this is the live version I'm referring to - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fED6_Wimq2U

moomin

Re: Tell Tale Signs

Post by moomin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:12 pm

I would hope it would be different live, any track I would hope to have more passion and edge to it live than recorded, this is a big reason I cannot get on board with Muse as I feel I might as well be at home listening to the album for all the difference I can hear between recorded and live.
I want raw, the possibility for mistakes, forgotten words or made up lines in a live performance, I want to hear a song being full of emotion and cracked voice one set and more gentle the next, I want, in truth to see the artist I have paid to see being human, and having songs I have heard a 100 times become a different animal live.
I also want to hear songs change and grow over time.

But like you I cannot wait to hear this one live.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:29 pm

i don't really think about it in this way. in the studio, it was just a case of getting it to sound the best it could. which i think we did. live is live.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

BringTheBalls

Post by BringTheBalls » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 pm

I was SOOO exited about that song, going on the first few live performances. I'd have put it in my top 3 Frank songs. I know the lyrics haven't really changed since then but the sound of the song is completely different. It feels like it has been manipulated to sound like a different band that's certainly not Frank.

Billabong78

Post by Billabong78 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Tell tale signs is amazing. Live and recorded everyone has an Amy