Thumb

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Jesse1280

Thumb

Post by Jesse1280 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi Frank,

Might be a weird question!
I've been trying to learn your songs on guitar, but I struggle with some of the chords which need the thumb pressing down on the E string. (F#M ish with Prufrock)
How do you that? Does it come with practice or do you just have big hands? I've seen vids where you reach down 3 strings or something!

Thanks for your time, really enjoyed TDH btw!

Jesse

Unorthadox1080

Re: Thumb

Post by Unorthadox1080 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 pm

I think it has a lot to do with big hands as I could do it first time, however you'll definitely get it by practicing. The E/G# chord in prufrock is a different story, no idea how to play that!

tobefrank

Post by tobefrank » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 am

You don't need big hands (although it probably does help), it's just practice like with most things.

The E/G# in Prufrock is always tricky though; the actual chord (low to high) is 422400 I think, and I don't know how Frank usually plays it but for me the most do-able is to kind of bar those 2 strings on the 2nd fret with just one finger (your forefinger), play the G# on the lowest string with your ring finger, leaving your little finger free for the 4th fret of the G string, to keep that ringing, open sound.

And this is already bearing in mind the capo.
...about finding that trail that leads away from everyone.

Artbaretta

Post by Artbaretta » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I use my thumb for the Prufrock chord. It's a technique Hendrix employed a lot to do his little fills between chords. With this particular case, it just takes practice and clever digit placement. I use my pinky and ring finger on the A and D string, use my forefinger on the G string, and the thumb kind of folds onto the E string. The middle finger just kinda floats above it all. The hardest bit is to make sure your smallest fingers aren't touching the B and high E strings. No advice for that, just build your hand strength. I've been playing on and off for 15 years or so, which makes it easier for me. You'll get there if this is what you decide to try. It just seems impossible at first, like barre chords.

For the record, I have 'normal' sized hands. They could even be considered small, but my fingers are pretty long. I think stubby fingers are far more of a problem than not having big hands.