Tattoos

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

User avatar
Blonde
Posts: 2089
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Tattoos

Post by Blonde » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:43 am

Bella wrote:about tattoos in general...

I was at 2000 trees festival last week & saw some amazing ink, a lot of it band related.

Does anyone know the lad with the full (Japanese style) dragon back piece done in gray scale? stunning piece of work, very intricate - I would love to know the artist, exquisite detail!

Thanks

Bella
x
Did you see the girl who had her right leg covered in different faces? That looked really good. I think I saw her during Fighting With Wire's set.

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Tattoos

Post by Bella » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:55 pm

I saw a few people with portrait tattoos - made me think of Matt Hunt of Modern Body Art in Birmingham (where Losing Days video was just filmed) I usually hate those, they are so easy to get wrong... really really wrong in some cases..... Matt has done some amazing ones

http://modernbodyart.co.uk/tattoos/matt-hunt/


I don't specifically remember the girl - although I do remember thinking that the portrait ones I'd seen at Trees were really good.

with the hot weather I've some stunning pieces lately - favorites are tattoos related to any of the following

Music
Folklore
History
Nature

especially if the tattoo manages to incorporate more than one thing and do it well.

I'm also a huge fan of detailed grayscale work, miniatures and large scene pieces.. so clearly I think this is amazing

http://weheartit.com/entry/31625030/via ... ng_a_dream

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Tattoos

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am

Bella wrote:
I'm also a huge fan of detailed grayscale work, miniatures and large scene pieces.. so clearly I think this is amazing

http://weheartit.com/entry/31625030/via ... ng_a_dream

Bella
x

Ahhhh!!!! That's very close to what I'm getting! My friend is designing it right now... And it will be much smaller (just on arm and shoulder)... And incorporate lyrics... But I can't believe you posted this! Absolutely beautiful :)
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Tattoos

Post by Bella » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:32 am

Venomous_Bear wrote:
Ahhhh!!!! That's very close to what I'm getting! My friend is designing it right now... And it will be much smaller (just on arm and shoulder)... And incorporate lyrics... But I can't believe you posted this! Absolutely beautiful :)
ohhhh need to see a pic when its done - please?

also meant to say that there is another type of tattoo that I love - and someone round here is covered in them :wink:

I love tattoos that have more than one meaning - for which generally you need to at least speak to the person with the tattoo to be sure... :-)

Bella
x

(such a good job I an unable to get any - I would be sooooo covered! poor but with amazing ink... ok some of it would be bad. the first one I wanted .. ugh... *shudderes* So very grateful I did NOT get that done)
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Tattoos

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:31 am

Bella wrote:
Venomous_Bear wrote:
Ahhhh!!!! That's very close to what I'm getting! My friend is designing it right now... And it will be much smaller (just on arm and shoulder)... And incorporate lyrics... But I can't believe you posted this! Absolutely beautiful :)
ohhhh need to see a pic when its done - please?

also meant to say that there is another type of tattoo that I love - and someone round here is covered in them :wink:

I love tattoos that have more than one meaning - for which generally you need to at least speak to the person with the tattoo to be sure... :-)

Bella
x

(such a good job I an unable to get any - I would be sooooo covered! poor but with amazing ink... ok some of it would be bad. the first one I wanted .. ugh... *shudderes* So very grateful I did NOT get that done)
Absolutely you can! She's a crazy awesome artist, but I'm going away for work, and then she is on vacation, so it's only actually happening now on August 31 (hhhhh... Impatient!!).

But yeah, it's always a fine balance. I know people who have gotten things just because they like them, and that's fine, but it's much cooler when there is a backstory or the like associated with the ink. Tend to regret them less as well ("if we had the luck to live our lives a second time through, we'd be sure to get the same tattoos").

But yeah, I mean... I was 20 when I got my first, and I'm sure if I'd have been any younger, I might have regretted my choices. I made the decision to stick with black and grey though... As much as vivid colours are gorgeous, I just find I prefer shading much more.

They are expensive, but worth it :)
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Tattoos

Post by Venomous_Bear » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Update: so I went for second consult to see what my friend came up with in terms of design, and OHHH man. We were jumping up and down and yelling, because she came up with this crazy, fantastic twist on what I had initially wanted, and it's now NOTHING like the amazing atlas full-body tattoo, haha. I don't want to try to explain it, because a) I'm a rambler and b) it's a little hard to explain, but let's just say I am very pumped and can't wait to share...a month from now :P !!

So EVERYONE: trust your tattooists. Let them go wild with your suggestions! Just wow :)
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

ToTheWest
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Tattoos

Post by ToTheWest » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:35 am

Can't wait to see a photo! I was (partially) inspired by that full-body atlas, too, but like you, the end product (designed by my friend as well) ended up quite different than I was expecting after my tattoo artist adapted it to make it more workable for my upper back. (You can find it on Frank's FB tattoo page if you want.) But I love what I have and am now sharing in your excitement... :D
Venomous_Bear wrote:Update: so I went for second consult to see what my friend came up with in terms of design, and OHHH man. We were jumping up and down and yelling, because she came up with this crazy, fantastic twist on what I had initially wanted, and it's now NOTHING like the amazing atlas full-body tattoo, haha. I don't want to try to explain it, because a) I'm a rambler and b) it's a little hard to explain, but let's just say I am very pumped and can't wait to share...a month from now :P !!

So EVERYONE: trust your tattooists. Let them go wild with your suggestions! Just wow :)
Brevity is not my forte.

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Tattoos

Post by Venomous_Bear » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 am

ToTheWest wrote:Can't wait to see a photo! I was (partially) inspired by that full-body atlas, too, but like you, the end product (designed by my friend as well) ended up quite different than I was expecting after my tattoo artist adapted it to make it more workable for my upper back. (You can find it on Frank's FB tattoo page if you want.) But I love what I have and am now sharing in your excitement... :D
WAIT, are you the one with the beautiful full-colour scroll map? The one that has comments like "this is the only tattoo I have ever liked, and I HATE tattoos"?

Yours is absolutely gorgeous!! Ahhh! I actually only saw it the other day, as I keep finding more Frank users in other places I haven't visited yet...I hadn't actually ever been to the Frank tattoo page on Facebook, even though that's the first Frank group I had joined...yours definitely stood out for sure! So cool! Nice to meet you on here :), and ahhh come on, end of August! I'm excited, you guys are excited...all I want to do is hurry up and get the frig home!!
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

ToTheWest
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Tattoos

Post by ToTheWest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 am

Yep, that's me. Thanks for the kind words; it's definitely gotten some love from FT fans online, and I'm glad they like it, too. :-)
Brevity is not my forte.

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: Tattoos

Post by Gleena » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:02 pm

So I did this:

Image
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Tattoos

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 pm

I know I told you before, but love this!!

Stage 1 is today! Very excited!!!!!!!
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

User avatar
tampateri
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Re: Tattoos

Post by tampateri » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Venomous_Bear wrote:I know I told you before, but love this!!

Stage 1 is today! Very excited!!!!!!!
So jealous.

Thinking about getting a lyric right below the Japanese waves on my back...

If you're lost at sea, close your eyes and catch the tide my dear and only think of me

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Tattoos

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:02 pm

tampateri wrote:
Venomous_Bear wrote:I know I told you before, but love this!!

Stage 1 is today! Very excited!!!!!!!
So jealous.

Thinking about getting a lyric right below the Japanese waves on my back...

If you're lost at sea, close your eyes and catch the tide my dear and only think of me

Doooo it!!! :)
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Tattoos

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Ok. So this is stage 1. It is REALLY hard to take a picture of one's back. It's not crooked, haha, it just looks that way because I'm sitting in a sink.
My new sarcastic motto: for a good time, tattoo your spine!
More like: if you would like to feel real pain, tattoo words on your vertebrae.
It's all of "the Road", with a 3D, cracked and weathered map of the world. Then FTHC is in the corner (and Frank, even if you're like "don't do that, it pledges allegiance to me instead of my work", meh. It wouldn't feel right to put your words on there and not give you credit, and even if I disagree with you sometimes...just makes things interesting)
Stage 2 is shading of the continents, and the addition of a wicked sweet compass to balance out the FTHC.
I'm gunna go rest. Jet lagged, tattooed, hungry and I didn't cross the dateline, so only 5 hours ahead. Don't worry, Darlene, I'm being verrrrrry careful :)
Image
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

ScarletPlanetMoon
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 pm
Location: Birstall, West Yorkshire

Re: Tattoos

Post by ScarletPlanetMoon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 pm

That is awesome!!

I love my Frank tattoos :mrgreen:
I'm no good at thinking of something funny enough for these things.
http://www.hellyeahjlandtss.tumblr.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest