Understand..the band

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Marty_j

Understand..the band

Post by Marty_j » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Frank, know from recent postings and tweets that you were into the whole, and I hate to use term "emo" scene in mid/late 90s - thinking TGUK and Van Pelt etc rather than emo as it is now. Was wondering if you had heard of or indeed heard a band called Understand who where around then and seemed to support anyone and everyone. Very, very Quicksandy (if indeed that is a word - it should be as it could be used to describe many bands from that time - "hi Fireside")?
Anyway, just found out that singer from Understand - Dom Anderson is now tour manager for Muse how weird is that? Top band though wish they'd reform.

frank
Site Admin

Re: Understand..the band

Post by frank » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:51 am

Yeah I saw them once or twice. From Essex right? Good band.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Marty_j

Post by Marty_j » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:34 am

frank wrote:Yeah I saw them once or twice. From Essex right? Good band.
Southend yeah. They were great - never quite got breakthrough. One of the post hardcore bands from UK at time that couldn't win. They signed to East West so got labelled "sell out" by zine kids and didn't crossover to the "Kerrang!" market so hardly sold any records. We put a band on in Berwick-upon-Tweed once called The Oedipus and I had Understand record on in my house - one of the lads ears perked up - liked what he was hearing, asked who it was, told him and instantly hated it because they had "sold out". Quite how they had "sold out" I don't know as it was their first release. As discussed earlier it was around that time got disillusioned at scene, seems better now at the shows I've been to but I guess primarliy because of internet a lot more bands don't need majors as much as in late 90s.

Cheers anyway Frank - sorry can't catch you at Glasgow - first tour I've missed in ages but it's not like you'll never play again. Good luck with Tape Deck Heart.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 am

The lead singer went on to be the tour manager for A and muse. </Tomasz fact>
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Marty_j

Post by Marty_j » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:42 am

Tomasz wrote:The lead singer went on to be the tour manager for A and muse. </Tomasz fact>
yeah mate said that in first post - cheers :-)

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am

Tomasz wrote:The lead singer went on to be the tour manager for A and muse. </Tomasz fact>
Pretty sure you can't claim as your fact when the opening post said it ;)

EDIT: Ironically the same thing has now happened to me. This shall forever more be the 'repeating' thread.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:10 am

Dammit! He didn't mention A though, I'm claiming it! I think a different member of understand became a guitar tech for various bands </Tomasz vaguely remembered speculation>

Dom Anderson of understand tour managed Lily Allen. People who've also worked on a Lily Allen tour include Jamie, formerly million dead guitar tech and subject of the Frank Turner song "To absent friends". </Tomasz fact>
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Matt09H

Post by Matt09H » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 am

I saw Understand a load of times. I think they suffered form that "sellout" shout a bit from signing early to EastWest very early on and the album had a much bigger production than the early stuff they did. Also, as they used to gig with a lot of the more DIY emo bands at the time like Bob Tilton and Baby Harp Seal and that scene was pretty hypercritical and principled and they didn't quite fit in musically with those bands. I did like them - always thought they had that Quicksand sound although not as good.

Marty_j

Post by Marty_j » Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Bob Tilton are hands down my fav band from that time. Never, ever caught them live. Saw Understand a shed load of times supporting everyone and anyone

Evan

Post by Evan » Sat May 18, 2013 8:18 am

Marty_j wrote:Saw Understand a shed load of times supporting everyone and anyone
This. Didn't like them even once. All their fans seemed to wear rucksacks and do some kind of weeble dance.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sat May 18, 2013 9:06 am

Marty_j wrote:Bob Tilton are hands down my fav band from that time. Never, ever caught them live. Saw Understand a shed load of times supporting everyone and anyone
Excellent band. Kneejerk played with them at a house party in Leeds once.
Shows? All of em.

Marty_j

Post by Marty_j » Sat May 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Evan wrote:
Marty_j wrote:Saw Understand a shed load of times supporting everyone and anyone
This. Didn't like them even once. All their fans seemed to wear rucksacks and do some kind of weeble dance.
Nah loved them mate. Dom was a great bloke

Marty_j

Post by Marty_j » Sat May 18, 2013 8:20 pm

frank wrote:
Marty_j wrote:Bob Tilton are hands down my fav band from that time. Never, ever caught them live. Saw Understand a shed load of times supporting everyone and anyone
Excellent band. Kneejerk played with them at a house party in Leeds once.
So lets clear this up thats Van Pelt reunion, Texas Is The Reason and Bob Tilton you have seen. Dammit. I got Tilton's Crescent on vinyl and there was a lovely hand writen note in it from bass player - they had the most awesome packaging considering it was released through Subjagation records. Did you ever catch Spy vs Spy from Stoke? Vique from Revelation Europe used to get us into all the best stuff before the days of internet - it was via a hand typed mailout. Got into The Get Up Kids and Promise Ring due to those mailouts

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sun May 19, 2013 3:15 pm

The first spy vs spy EP is one of my favourite records ever. Kneejerk's second ever show was opening for them. Incredible band.
Shows? All of em.

Marty_j

Post by Marty_j » Sun May 19, 2013 3:55 pm

frank wrote:The first spy vs spy EP is one of my favourite records ever. Kneejerk's second ever show was opening for them. Incredible band.
agreed - Helpless Sign In Please is perfection. Wasn't as struck on their second release but still had its moments. They reformed a few years back but guess they are no more again. Had a touch of the Cap n Jazz in places. SvS was another Subjagation release - what a track record that label had.