Worst Cover?

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

BringTheBalls

Worst Cover?

Post by BringTheBalls » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Helloooo :3
I've watched a lot of your covers on youtube like most of your fans probably have.

Do you ever watch your own covers and think 'hmm, that didn't sound as great as I thought it would'?
I guess you don't worry about it too much?

Thankssss

For everyone else, Is there a Frank cover that you don't really care for?
Not trying to start an internet war, just interested in opinions.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnkkksssss

KangarooAlice

Re: Worst Cover?

Post by KangarooAlice » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:15 pm

I did a cover of Reasons Not To Be An Idiot last year, it's by no means brilliant as I'm a flautist, not a singer/guitarist! But it was fun and that song meant a lot to me when I did it. I don't think music is always about proficiancy or even sounding good! Music should be for everyone. :)
"I'm not hungover, I have the Booze Blues!!"

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 pm

I did three covers at an open mic last night - Photosynthesis, substitute and I still believe. Were they any good? Meh I dunno, but the crowd applauded them all and sang the 'I still believe's' back at me and I had a great time. What would Frank think of them? He'd probably pick up on the missed chords and lack of detail and twiddly bits that my old fingers won't do, but I'd like to think that he'd see someone having a fucking good time singing their heart out and playing his music, and that would be enough to put a smile on his face.
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.
Gigs: Wembley, Oxford, London forum.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 pm

Sure, there are some I care for more than others. As it happens, the public seem to disagree quite a lot of the time, so I'll keep schtum about it, haha.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

reitzel6570

Post by reitzel6570 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 am

so I'll keep schtum about it
Never heard that one on my side of the world, so I asked a UK slang dictionary:
schtum Adj. Quiet, silent. Also spelt schtoom, stumm. E.g. "Keep schtum about it, we'll get into trouble if the boss finds out!" [Yiddish]

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:35 am

Honestly Frank, as someone who plays covers of your songs I'd value your opinion over anyone else's. What would you rather see: Someone who spends hours obsessing over playing a 100% accurate version of the song as you perform it, or someone having a good time doing the best they can to play their take on a song they love? I need to know, on the offchance that you ever stumble into some lonely pub in the middle of fucking nowhere, to be confronted with yours truly playing to a crowd of pissed up farmers getting them to holler I still believe at the top of their voices.
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:21 am

Ah wait a minute, we are talking at cross purposes here, haha. I was talking about songs by other people that I've covered myself.

In terms of people covering my stuff, I always and everywhere think it's a cool idea. On balance I guess I'd prefer people to have fun with it, mess around, find something new in the song, that's part of the point of doing covers. There was a great one of "Ballad" that I tweeted a while back.

I can't say I religiously listen to every cover someone does of my stuff, but in principle, it's great. Music is for sharing.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:54 am

Frank wrote:. I was talking about songs by other people that I've covered myself.
Ah, yeah, I think that probably was the OP's question. I'll shut up now :oops:

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:02 pm

I really don't like the cover of The Killers - Mr Brightside. There's something about the original song I like, I'm not sure what, but whatever it is, it's missing from Frank's cover.

valderie

Post by valderie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Blonde wrote:I really don't like the cover of The Killers - Mr Brightside. There's something about the original song I like, I'm not sure what, but whatever it is, it's missing from Frank's cover.
all the words? :wink:

stothy862

Post by stothy862 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:00 pm

frank wrote:Ah wait a minute, we are talking at cross purposes here, haha. I was talking about songs by other people that I've covered myself.

In terms of people covering my stuff, I always and everywhere think it's a cool idea. On balance I guess I'd prefer people to have fun with it, mess around, find something new in the song, that's part of the point of doing covers. There was a great one of "Ballad" that I tweeted a while back.

I can't say I religiously listen to every cover someone does of my stuff, but in principle, it's great. Music is for sharing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOOq81Ow ... e=youtu.be

If anyone's interested.

DanFlannel

Post by DanFlannel » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Frank, have you (or would you) ever play your cover of "District Sleeps Alone Tonight" live? That's one of your covers that I enjoy about a million times more than the original. Absolutely incredible.

Bella

Post by Bella » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:28 pm

DanFlannel,

have you seen the version with Frank, Ben Marwood and Franz Nicolay?

its filmed by Ben Morse.... I just went to look for the link and can't find it for some weird reason... hmmmm...

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

Emsabobs

Post by Emsabobs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:03 pm

DanFlannel wrote:Frank, have you (or would you) ever play your cover of "District Sleeps Alone Tonight" live? That's one of your covers that I enjoy about a million times more than the original. Absolutely incredible.
I saw this live a few years back - could have been Preston maybe...? I didn't know the song so I had to ask what it was....
'Yeah I got so damn drunk and retarded, I fell down the stairs and puked in my shoe' Nothing to you - Two Gallants

valderie

Post by valderie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:52 pm

DanFlannel wrote:Frank, have you (or would you) ever play your cover of "District Sleeps Alone Tonight" live? That's one of your covers that I enjoy about a million times more than the original. Absolutely incredible.
i saw him do it in philadelphia in 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZJISSIY_o0