American-isms

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

darlenet.

American-isms

Post by darlenet. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:29 pm

As y'all are heading over to the states, it got me wondering. You are clearly a person who embraces the culture of the country you are visiting, but what American customs or behaviors just make you scratch your head and say, "WTF?"

Can't wait to see you live again in October.

Safe travels......Darlene
shows? 90 so far...

frank
Site Admin

American-isms

Post by frank » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:57 am

One or two (maple syrup on bacon? Eh?) but on the whole I love America a d American culture.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

darlenet.

Re: American-isms

Post by darlenet. » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 am

Awww, how very kind of you. For the record, bacon stands alone.
shows? 90 so far...

Stoeszy

Post by Stoeszy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 am

frank wrote:One or two (maple syrup on bacon? Eh?) but on the whole I love America a d American culture.
Hold the phone ! Theres nothing american about bacon, maple syrup or Eh ! Look up, look way up thats Canada your thinking about . :shock: The united states is already stealing all our hockey teams dont let them strip us from our culture as well !

Gdh1091

Post by Gdh1091 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Stoeszy wrote:
frank wrote:One or two (maple syrup on bacon? Eh?) but on the whole I love America a d American culture.
Hold the phone ! Theres nothing american about bacon, maple syrup or Eh ! Look up, look way up thats Canada your thinking about . :shock: The united states is already stealing all our hockey teams dont let them strip us from our culture as well !
Maple syrup is of course nowadays considered Canadian (and you guys are the biggest producers), although it was actually eaten by native Americans so neither of you can really claim it.
As for bacon... I am of the opinion that bacon has complete control over all forms of humanity and does not discriminate between nations. As some crazy guy dressed as a pirate at the Reading Festival said to me the other day: "Arrr... Bacon is all of your 5 a day!!"

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Stoeszy wrote:
uh, i know, but they serve all these things in american diners and people put them together. which is odd to me.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Booger

Post by Booger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:58 pm

While in Southern California you need to try some So Cal mexican food
http://robertostacoshop.com/
I like the machaca burrito for breakfast,Carne asada burrito for lunch

and

http://www.rubios.com/

home of the fish taco, remember if it looks like a taco and smells like a fish, you eat it!

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 am

frank wrote:
Stoeszy wrote:
uh, i know, but they serve all these things in american diners and people put them together. which is odd to me.

Hmm, never thought about it, but Americans do try to combine and alter foods. In many other countries, people seem to eat the meals as served. Who can even explain the widespread practice of raping food with ketchup/catsup. It even lives on tables in restaurants "just in case."?
shows? 90 so far...

Booger

Post by Booger » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:11 am

[/quote]

Hmm, never thought about it, but Americans do try to combine and alter foods. In many other countries, people seem to eat the meals as served. Who can even explain the widespread practice of raping food with ketchup/catsup. It even lives on tables in restaurants "just in case."?[/quote]

It was classified as a vegetable by Reagan

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:26 am

Booger wrote:It was classified as a vegetable by Reagan
Ah, true. But Reagan also made this equally logical statement,"Trees cause more pollution than automobiles."
shows? 90 so far...

MerseyRiverLad

Post by MerseyRiverLad » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Being British also and now living in the states, I'd have to agree with Frank.. Still can't wrap my head around peanut butter and jelly buttys or mayo instead of butter on buttys. For the uninitiated a butty is a sandwich. Also find it near impossible to find decent fish and chips and don't ask for mushy peas :-P

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 pm

MerseyRiverLad wrote:Being British also and now living in the states, I'd have to agree with Frank.. Still can't wrap my head around peanut butter and jelly buttys or mayo instead of butter on buttys. For the uninitiated a butty is a sandwich. Also find it near impossible to find decent fish and chips and don't ask for mushy peas :-P
Haha. So true. Best fish and chips I ever had was in London restaurant. Only thing trippy was that there was a long queue, so we were seated at a table with strangers! Very un-American indeed. Ended up being the BEST thing. We made new friends, and even checked out of hotel and stayed with them. Loved that London trip!
shows? 90 so far...

MerseyRiverLad

Post by MerseyRiverLad » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 am

Yep, us English have a habit of chatting to anyone. Totally goes against the reserved attitude we supposedly have. :D Our fish and chips are definitely the best but try getting them wrapped in real newspaper, there's a challenge finding that nowadays.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:52 am

Isn't that because the ink rubs off on the chips?!
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

MerseyRiverLad

Post by MerseyRiverLad » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:24 am

They would be wrapped in regular paper first and even if you did get a bit of ink on your fingers I never heard of anyone gettin sick or anything. We just worry about everything too much these days.:-P