UK DIY punk scene - mid 90's

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Marty_j

UK DIY punk scene - mid 90's

Post by Marty_j » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Frank, it always gives me a glowing feeling to see an artist throw himself into live shows. I am struggling to think of any other act who could play Wembley and not be accused of being a sell out. This must be down to your touring ethic and the fact that you actively look to play every corner of the UK in a year –Wembley in April, Bath in November – couldn’t see Foo Fighters doing that!
Anyway, I digress – in my early 20’s – many moons ago – I used to go to loads of DIY punk/hardcore shows up and down the country. I really enjoyed the HC scene back then but gradually got bored of the attitudes of “scene kids” who would spend more time analysing your t shirt than watching bands. I got bored of being preached to by vegan kids who took a dislike to you if you were in to a SE band and ate a burger or drank a pint. It annoyed me because the HC scene was all about acceptance and togetherness and it quickly became about cliques and who had or hadn’t sold out.
Do you think these "kids" are still like that Frank or do you think they now just like music for...well the music?
Ta, Martin

PS Do you like Stapleton? – see they are on Xtra Mile too- wish they’d release some new stuff.

frank
Site Admin

Re: UK DIY punk scene - mid 90's

Post by frank » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:51 am

hey marty. yeah i know what you mean, things did get a little silly and cliquey, and to me part of the whole point of punk rock or hardcore or whatever was that it was a refuge for kids rejected by the mainstream / cool kids / whatever. i remember some people getting pretty militant about stuff, and then there was the whole violent dancing "debate" (haha) - and if i'm honest, i got a little involved in that side of things myself from time to time.

as for now, well, i'm not really all that tuned into whatever the HxC underground in the UK is like right now. i suspect that a lot of people from that time we knew have grown up a bit now and understand that life's too short - in fact i know they have, i've met some of them since haha. i suspect being that uptight about stuff is a part of being young and angryu and overly convinced of your own self-righteousness - again, something i can attest to from personal experience...
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Marty_j

Re: UK DIY punk scene - mid 90's

Post by Marty_j » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:06 am

Hi Frank,

Cheers for that - my recollection is that I went to see Earth Crisis at Bradford and it had all stated getting silly. I loved the unity and bonds between the HC kids and it shaped my youth, my political views and certainly made me feel like I belonged at the time. Maybe I got older.... never liked the violent dancing but primarily because I am such a wimp.

See you in Darlo