Ask Nigel II: Nigel's Revenge

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

skhmmxi

Ask Nigel II: Nigel's Revenge

Post by skhmmxi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Looks like this thread got trimmed, but I'm bringing it back.

Dear Nigel,

Are Dive Dive playing any gigs soon? frank's runaway success is all well and good, but Jamie must be getting out of practice.
218,278,284,419,500,533,558,617-620,710,718,970,980,1000,1143,1216,1303,1321,1384,1441,1464,1518,1527,1545,1595,1611,next:RAH 29/03

JLT_CFC

Re: Ask Nigel II: Nigel's Revenge

Post by JLT_CFC » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Dear Nigel,

Can you give us any pictures of when you had hair? I've been seeing you guys for 4 years now and no matter how hard I try, I just can't imagine it.
"Movebusty? Yes, I've played it in scrabble many times."

Luke123

Post by Luke123 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:40 am

Dear Nigel,

Do you wipe sitting down or standing up?

Luke xx
http://soundcloud.com/vagueworld/paid-to-care

http://www.facebook.com/vagueworld
Pete wrote:'Luke, you're 15 and supposed to be down with the kids, how come you don't know the word, you're obviously a weapon'.

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:03 pm

If you could have a street dance style drum off gang fight with anyone using teams of 3. (Your team has 3 drummers and their team have 3 drummers) who would you have and who would you "fight"?
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

newmy

Post by newmy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Do you still use the forum?

JLT_CFC

Post by JLT_CFC » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:53 pm

newmy wrote:Do you still use the forum?
This probably should've been asked in the first place. Damn.
"Movebusty? Yes, I've played it in scrabble many times."

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:30 am

I'd say we'll have to give him time on this! Remember Frank is in Canada solo, which means Nigel and the rest of The Sleeping Souls are likely spending some well deserved and long overdue personal time!

It's nuts to think he keeps up such a huge touring schedule actually while balancing family life somehow! Impressive man.

sadsongco

Post by sadsongco » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 am

Hello everyone. Didn't see this thread, no doubt the most exciting and dynamic of all the threads on Frank's forum. Let me answer some things. And not others.
skhmmxi wrote:Looks like this thread got trimmed, but I'm bringing it back.

Dear Nigel,

Are Dive Dive playing any gigs soon? frank's runaway success is all well and good, but Jamie must be getting out of practice.
Don't know, to be honest. Jamie is still writing, and we have a bunch of tunes already written for another record, but time is problematic. It takes a little while to get into the swing sufficiently to plan a recording, but there's no extended periods off the road with Frank in the foreseeable future. We'll make it work at some point, no doubt. Dive Dive are like a punch-drunk boxer that obstinately refuses to lie down.
JLT_CFC wrote:Dear Nigel,

Can you give us any pictures of when you had hair? I've been seeing you guys for 4 years now and no matter how hard I try, I just can't imagine it.
Don't have any on my computer. You can quite easily find pictures (and videos) of me when I had a bit of hair (my 'last emperor' pony tail with shaved head look that I had with Unbelievable Truth), if I find one that won't embarrass me into an early grave I'll see if I can scan it and post it.
Luke123 wrote:Dear Nigel,

Do you wipe sitting down or standing up?

Luke xx
I think this counts as something I'd rather keep to myself.
minidazzler wrote:If you could have a street dance style drum off gang fight with anyone using teams of 3. (Your team has 3 drummers and their team have 3 drummers) who would you have and who would you "fight"?
Ha! Well, my team, if it had to include me, would be me, Phil Collins timewarped in from 1977 and Dave Grohl. And we would fight Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta and Thomas Lang, because they are generally speaking the kind of highly technical soulless sessioneer drummers who I can't stand. (Although in my old age I've become more reasonable and can see the value in all of them. Except possibly Thomas Lang). The judging panel would say that we lost because the others are technically all over us (although '77 Phil would be giving them a run for their chop-fuelled money), but the crowd would totally prefer us because we have more soul and life and rock. It would be like the end of School Of Rock.
newmy wrote:Do you still use the forum?
Nope.
Yes, she was witty; she was intelligent. She was born of high station. She spoke and walked proudly. She was the kind who displayed nobility, who showed style and class. But above all, she had the jugs.

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Nigel,

What was your first drum kit? What age did you first start playing?

sadsongco

Post by sadsongco » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:35 am

Jerome wrote:Hi Nigel,

Hi Jerome. I started hitting things with bits of wood to try and make 'music' about age 5 or 6, me and my brother used to make sound on sound recordings (bouncing back and forth between two tape decks) of songs together, I hung saucepan lids from bits of string for cymbals and filled the bottom of a catering margerine tub with bits of chopped up heavy guage wire for a snare drum. That said I wasn't that into the idea of being a drummer, but my big brother needed someone to drum in his school band, so convinced our mum to buy me a drumkit when I was 12. It was a Rogers R360 5 piece in white. Hope that wasn't too long winded for you.

In other news, anyone who would like to follow me on twitter now can - @sadsongco
Yes, she was witty; she was intelligent. She was born of high station. She spoke and walked proudly. She was the kind who displayed nobility, who showed style and class. But above all, she had the jugs.

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:39 am

sadsongco wrote:That said I wasn't that into the idea of being a drummer, but my big brother needed someone to drum in his school band, so convinced our mum to buy me a drumkit when I was 12. It was a Rogers R360 5 piece in white.
That is precisely the same drumkit I used to play in my school band.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:03 pm

I've found a picture of Nigel with hair.

http://www.oystergroup.co.nz/team/nigel_powell.htm
Adam_Bennett wrote:..I'm a folk rock musician similar to Boucher and everyone else.

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 pm

sadsongco wrote:
Jerome wrote:Hi Nigel,

Hi Jerome. I started hitting things with bits of wood to try and make 'music' about age 5 or 6, me and my brother used to make sound on sound recordings (bouncing back and forth between two tape decks) of songs together, I hung saucepan lids from bits of string for cymbals and filled the bottom of a catering margerine tub with bits of chopped up heavy guage wire for a snare drum. That said I wasn't that into the idea of being a drummer, but my big brother needed someone to drum in his school band, so convinced our mum to buy me a drumkit when I was 12. It was a Rogers R360 5 piece in white. Hope that wasn't too long winded for you.

In other news, anyone who would like to follow me on twitter now can - @sadsongco
Thanks for the reply Nigel, really interesting. Cheers, and not too long winded at all.

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi Nigel,

So, if my memory is correct you were the first member of the Sleeping Souls to tour around with Frank, would I be correct in that "memory"?

If I am, then may I ask, why did you choose to tour with Frank at a time when you would have been making somewhat of a pittance (I presume again)? I mean, you are an extremely talented drummer and have a lot of flair and presence when playing, why choose the guy who is still travelling around on a train? Did you have any other offers around that time?

sadsongco

Post by sadsongco » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:54 pm

minidazzler wrote:Hi Nigel,

So, if my memory is correct you were the first member of the Sleeping Souls to tour around with Frank, would I be correct in that "memory"?

If I am, then may I ask, why did you choose to tour with Frank at a time when you would have been making somewhat of a pittance (I presume again)? I mean, you are an extremely talented drummer and have a lot of flair and presence when playing, why choose the guy who is still travelling around on a train? Did you have any other offers around that time?

I wasn't first to tour with Frank, or even play with him. Ben, Tarrant and I all played on Campfire Punkrock. Frank then did more himself on Sleep Is For The Week (although Ben was producing and we all did backing vocals, outside of my playing of drums and keyboards). We then started touring with him as a four piece from the beginning of 2007, with Jamie from Dive Dive doing a smattering of keyboards on the first tour.

Thank you for the kind words about my drumming, at the time we met him Dive Dive were very busy and I was doing a couple of other things but I always say yes to everything and worry about the consequences later. Besides, Frank seemed like a personable and talented fellow with a lot of good ideas and a strong work ethic, and his music was reasonably OK if you squinted your ears a little bit, so why not? And we dreamed of a pittance on that first tour. By the third time round the UK we had achieved a pittance. :D