"Occupy" protests

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

smige2
Posts: 805
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:56 pm

"Occupy" protests

Post by smige2 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:01 am

Just wondered what your thoughts are on Occupy Wall Street and related protests? :)
22.08.08 29.10.08 19.01.09 07.03.09 30.08.09 29.10.09 24.03.10 19.06.10 19.07.10 10.12.10 21.04.11 27.05.11 27.11.11 13.04.12 25.04.13 12.09.14 26.03.15 29.03.15 31.07.15 13.05.17 14.05.17 29.07.17 12.05.18 03.02.19 14.07.19 30.11.19

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Post by frank » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:13 am

uh, i think they're well-intentioned but totally misdirected.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

smige2
Posts: 805
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:56 pm

Post by smige2 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:33 am

Fair enough - misdirected in what sense?
22.08.08 29.10.08 19.01.09 07.03.09 30.08.09 29.10.09 24.03.10 19.06.10 19.07.10 10.12.10 21.04.11 27.05.11 27.11.11 13.04.12 25.04.13 12.09.14 26.03.15 29.03.15 31.07.15 13.05.17 14.05.17 29.07.17 12.05.18 03.02.19 14.07.19 30.11.19

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Post by frank » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:31 pm

well, for a start, if you're complaining about taxpayer bailouts of shitty banks (perfectly reasonable), why on earth would you occupy wall st or the LSX? neither place (or the organizations they represent) had anything to do with a monumentally corrupt bout of keynsianism. in a free markets the banks would have failed. the politicians responsible (and their lapdogs like paul FUCKING krugman), fine, attack them, but the LSX? eh? I genuinely don't see what the connection is supposed to be.

the list of demands recently issued by OccupyLSX were predictably awful as well. not pissed off about governments spending money they don't have, just pissed off that money isn't being spent on things they like. plus i REALLY object to the whole "this is democracy" or "99%" stuff. so utterly fucking presumptuous. they do not speak for me, thanks.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

User avatar
agirlnamedfred
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Post by agirlnamedfred » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 pm

"I'm really boring when I talk politics" is just something you say at shows, right? Because I think listening to you talk politics (or, better, engaging as well) would be utterly fascinating!

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Post by frank » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:03 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:"I'm really boring when I talk politics" is just something you say at shows, right? Because I think listening to you talk politics (or, better, engaging as well) would be utterly fascinating!
uh, it's more that i personally want to keep my politics and my music separate (to an extent). i don't like the idea of people not coming to my shows because of the politics (or indeed vice versa).
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

kempy_daniels
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:33 pm

Post by kempy_daniels » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Don't know if you've seen this interview with Billy Bragg (http://www.sabotagetimes.com/music/bill ... cal-again/) he says:
Someone like Ed Sheeran needs to go down there, he needs to say, “This is my generation – this is my fight”, Frank Turner – he needs to go down there. Not me. I’m not saying I won’t go – but they don’t need me down there.
What do you think about this?

smige2
Posts: 805
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:56 pm

Post by smige2 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:41 pm

I actually interviewed Billy Bragg on Monday for my student paper and he mentioned Frank then, too. In this instance we were talking about the NME ignoring political music and he said he was annoyed that they (apparently) made fun of Frank for saying he loves The Clash, or something. Will post the exact quote when I've written up the transcript. Billy seemed to think the protests were a positive thing, as he's said elsewhere.
22.08.08 29.10.08 19.01.09 07.03.09 30.08.09 29.10.09 24.03.10 19.06.10 19.07.10 10.12.10 21.04.11 27.05.11 27.11.11 13.04.12 25.04.13 12.09.14 26.03.15 29.03.15 31.07.15 13.05.17 14.05.17 29.07.17 12.05.18 03.02.19 14.07.19 30.11.19

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Post by frank » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:08 pm

billy is entitled to his opinion, and i respect his intelligence. however, i don't feel much in common at all with the occupy protests, i don't feel they speak for or to me in any way. sorry.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Dougie
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Post by Dougie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Do you not think your libertarian leanings are underrepresented in this world of ours against the caricatures of left v right, state loving socialist & poor hating tory?

Libertarianism (and I’m including true liberal under this banner) is a very obvious, but very different way of looking at life that’s not indoctrinated through schooling or shown through the media. You’ve to be actively interested in politics to have any kind of understanding of libertarianism and even then there’s the extremities within that can be hard to separate out beyond the crackpots.

Sure the ‘Occupy’ protests might not speak to you or your own. But beyond a loose affiliation with TDK could yours not be an articulate voice that can expose a generation to this differing point of view and potentially spark an interest and invoke change?

And you don't need to be a raving socialist to enjoy Waiting For The Great Leap Forward or There Is Power In A Union etc. Or a psuedo anarchist The King Blues... I don't buy into that.

Keeping personal politics personal is ok though.

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Post by frank » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Dougie wrote:Do you not think your libertarian leanings are underrepresented in this world of ours against the caricatures of left v right, state loving socialist & poor hating tory?

Libertarianism (and I’m including true liberal under this banner) is a very obvious, but very different way of looking at life that’s not indoctrinated through schooling or shown through the media. You’ve to be actively interested in politics to have any kind of understanding of libertarianism and even then there’s the extremities within that can be hard to separate out beyond the crackpots.

Sure the ‘Occupy’ protests might not speak to you or your own. But beyond a loose affiliation with TDK could yours not be an articulate voice that can expose a generation to this differing point of view and potentially spark an interest and invoke change?

And you don't need to be a raving socialist to enjoy Waiting For The Great Leap Forward or There Is Power In A Union etc. Or a psuedo anarchist The King Blues... I don't buy into that.

Keeping personal politics personal is ok though.
you're completely right about this, and occasionally i do wake up in the night thinking i should do more than i do. but here's the thing: as much as i might get irate about politics, it's not my central concern. was i to jump off the deep end for that stuff (and who knows, i might yet do that some time in my life), politics would, whether i like it or not, become the central concern of my "public" life. i wouldn't ever talk about anything else in interviews, and i'd spend a crazy amount of time having public arguments about it. that's just not something i have the energy or stomach for. that sounds defeatist when i write it like that, but my passion is to make music, rather than to propogate my views on politics, society and the economy...
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

User avatar
agirlnamedfred
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 pm

frank wrote:
agirlnamedfred wrote:"I'm really boring when I talk politics" is just something you say at shows, right? Because I think listening to you talk politics (or, better, engaging as well) would be utterly fascinating!
uh, it's more that i personally want to keep my politics and my music separate (to an extent). i don't like the idea of people not coming to my shows because of the politics (or indeed vice versa).
I can appreciate that; just know that if you ever hold a political round-table in the Southeast US, you'll have an audience there, too. (Maybe an audience of one, but a damned vocal one).

User avatar
FelipeS
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:53 am
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina

Post by FelipeS » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:10 am

agirlnamedfred wrote:
frank wrote:
agirlnamedfred wrote:"I'm really boring when I talk politics" is just something you say at shows, right? Because I think listening to you talk politics (or, better, engaging as well) would be utterly fascinating!
uh, it's more that i personally want to keep my politics and my music separate (to an extent). i don't like the idea of people not coming to my shows because of the politics (or indeed vice versa).
I can appreciate that; just know that if you ever hold a political round-table in the Southeast US, you'll have an audience there, too. (Maybe an audience of one, but a damned vocal one).
Make that an audience of two.
09/25/2011

greg
Posts: 3290
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:42 pm

Post by greg » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:38 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oc ... protesters

honestly.

look at these cock munchers.

just look at them.

fucking 'art'. his mask makes him look like a giant scrotum.

User avatar
tampateri
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Post by tampateri » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:48 am

FelipeS wrote:
agirlnamedfred wrote:
frank wrote: uh, it's more that i personally want to keep my politics and my music separate (to an extent). i don't like the idea of people not coming to my shows because of the politics (or indeed vice versa).
I can appreciate that; just know that if you ever hold a political round-table in the Southeast US, you'll have an audience there, too. (Maybe an audience of one, but a damned vocal one).
Make that an audience of two.
three

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests