Polaroid Picture

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

User avatar
nellied
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: York

Post by nellied » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:44 pm

minidazzler wrote:
It's really a song you feel rather than listen to. The "we won't all be here this time next year" almost floored me, because I was at the gig with my best friend who is probably leaving soon. So yeah, what an unbelievably great song. It had my heart beating like a bass drum.
This.
That line just instantly made me think how many things have changed since April, how fast everything is moving with friends, life, family. And it really hit me, the reminder to savour every single moment, as each one only happens once, you can't go back and repeat it.

I've facebooked you btw.
Past: '09: 29/8 '10: 17/3 26/8 27/8 3/12 11/12 31/12 '11: 17/2 5/3 21/4 (#1k) 9/5 13/5 15/5 7/7 3/8 6/8 26a/8 26b/8 13/9 14/9 15/9 17/9 18/9 24/11 26/11 27/11 '12 13/4 7/7 13/11 31/1 '13: 1/1
Upcoming ?

User avatar
Wing-
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Post by Wing- » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:59 am

I've just heard it on YT, and am hoping Frank will play it when he's in Manc next month.

I love seeing how songs develop into the finished article, but I can also see where Frank is coming from, Namely with "Sailors boots" as many still refer to it as Rod Stewart. Ultimately, I always end up preferring the finished product, but my heart will always belong to the acoustic versions of many of them, while still having a steamy love affair with the full band versions.

If you do put it up, could you hit me up on FB as well please?
http://www.facebook.com/JRxHC

Don't judge me for the JRHC! haha

ToTheWest
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 am
Location: Los Angeles

"Polaroid Picture" video from Pomona, CA

Post by ToTheWest » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:04 am

Here's my video of "Polaroid Picture" from last night at the Glass House in Pomona, California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNpoSDzSw4U

While I think the audio quality is better than some that have been posted on YouTube so far, I have to apologize for my semi-drunk friend's stupid shit-talking at the beginning. I can't even remember what he was giving me a hard time about at first, but I can definitely hear him saying "Fuck your video!", I guess because I was trying to get him to shut up. (He's a nice guy, I swear.)

FYI--I'm now quite sure that the line after "Now they're building a railway" starts with "to drag", but I can't for the life of me figure out the rest. (Am I hearing "vanquished" and/or "at first sight"?) The "but they're singing different songs" line definitely ends with "in rooms that we don't know on the other side of the city".
Brevity is not my forte.

User avatar
tampateri
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Post by tampateri » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:30 am

that was great, thank you.

Oasisbobo
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by Oasisbobo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Sounds amazing :) Can't wait to hear the studio version :)

Oasisbobo
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by Oasisbobo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Has anyone got the lyrics for this? :)

greg
Posts: 3290
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:42 pm

Post by greg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm

thanks for the video, it's really good.

it has however confirmed my suspicion that i can literally never go to a gig in america. the frequency with which people shout 'ow!' during moments of silence in songs is simply ridiculous. what is it supposed to mean? what is it supposed to achieve?

i really do not understand at all.

User avatar
Wing-
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Post by Wing- » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:02 am

greg wrote: it has however confirmed my suspicion that i can literally never go to a gig in america. the frequency with which people shout 'ow!' during moments of silence in songs is simply ridiculous. what is it supposed to mean? what is it supposed to achieve?
I have to agree with you, the quiet parts are much more, meaningful so to speak, when either the crowed is singing along, or complete silence. Much like with "Long Live The Queen" when everybody sings the last verse with Frank. I honestly don't understand the point in shouting "ow!" at the top of their lungs at the quietest moments in a song, gets on my tits a bit, but then, as I grow old, many things get on my nerves more than they used to.

ToTheWest
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 am
Location: Los Angeles

Post by ToTheWest » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:49 am

Wing- wrote:
greg wrote: it has however confirmed my suspicion that i can literally never go to a gig in america. the frequency with which people shout 'ow!' during moments of silence in songs is simply ridiculous. what is it supposed to mean? what is it supposed to achieve?
I have to agree with you, the quiet parts are much more, meaningful so to speak, when either the crowed is singing along, or complete silence. Much like with "Long Live The Queen" when everybody sings the last verse with Frank. I honestly don't understand the point in shouting "ow!" at the top of their lungs at the quietest moments in a song, gets on my tits a bit, but then, as I grow old, many things get on my nerves more than they used to.
I understand your frustration, though I daresay Frank's probably used to it by now. He still said that the US is his favorite country to tour in, but he probably says that everywhere he goes. ;-) As for the lack of restraint (read: OW"-ing) it seems more surprising given that the Glass House doesn't even serve alcohol, but I'm sure my friends and I weren't the only ones who "pre-partied" at the bar next door...
Brevity is not my forte.

User avatar
tiffiny
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:38 am
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Post by tiffiny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

greg wrote:thanks for the video, it's really good.

it has however confirmed my suspicion that i can literally never go to a gig in america. the frequency with which people shout 'ow!' during moments of silence in songs is simply ridiculous. what is it supposed to mean? what is it supposed to achieve?

i really do not understand at all.
i think it's about attention? idk. do people not do that in other countries? because that would be really, really great.
4.2.09, 9.13.09, 2.14.10, 2.15.10, 2.16.10, 2.17.10, 8.11.10, 10.15.10, 10.16.10 x2, 09.27.11 x2, 10.07.11, 3.3.12, 3.4.12, 3.5.12, 9.18.12, 9.29.12, 9.30.12, 3.6.13, 3.7.13, 3.15.13, 6.7.13 x2, 6.8.13 x2, 8.8.13, 10.9.13, 11.27.13, 11.29.13, 11.30.13

User avatar
tampateri
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Post by tampateri » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:40 pm

i hate to say it (as an american) but many americans are pretty self-absorbed and hate to not hear their own voice for more than 5 minutes so they have to YEOWWWW at least a few times during a show to prove to themselves that they're still important and alive. also, americans are just very vocal when they're having fun. unfortunately, it is sometimes at the cost of the fun itself.

User avatar
FelipeS
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:53 am
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina

Post by FelipeS » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:13 am

tampateri wrote:i hate to say it (as an american) but many americans are pretty self-absorbed and hate to not hear their own voice for more than 5 minutes so they have to YEOWWWW at least a few times during a show to prove to themselves that they're still important and alive. also, americans are just very vocal when they're having fun. unfortunately, it is sometimes at the cost of the fun itself.
I do have fond memories of some random dude during a quiet bit of one of Frank's songs just belting out, "Fuck yeah!!!" in the middle of the song. I really want to go to a show of Frank's in England and see what they are like compared to America. Probably a lot better crowd wise.
09/25/2011

ToTheWest
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 am
Location: Los Angeles

atonement!

Post by ToTheWest » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:26 am

Being the perfectionist I am, I was happy to have the chance to give recording "Polaroid Picture" a second go two nights later at the El Rey in LA proper. Hence, please ignore the earlier link and check out this crowd-chatter-free version instead if you're so inclined...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ_jgmhHjMw
Brevity is not my forte.

ToTheWest
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 am
Location: Los Angeles

Post by ToTheWest » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:31 am

FelipeS wrote:
tampateri wrote:i hate to say it (as an american) but many americans are pretty self-absorbed and hate to not hear their own voice for more than 5 minutes so they have to YEOWWWW at least a few times during a show to prove to themselves that they're still important and alive. also, americans are just very vocal when they're having fun. unfortunately, it is sometimes at the cost of the fun itself.
I do have fond memories of some random dude during a quiet bit of one of Frank's songs just belting out, "Fuck yeah!!!" in the middle of the song. I really want to go to a show of Frank's in England and see what they are like compared to America. Probably a lot better crowd wise.
PS: My similar funny moment--Last spring at the Hotel Cafe in Hollywood, I was chatting with two girls, (one of whom was English) and both diehard Frank fans. After he played the first few notes of "Journey of the Magi", one of them breathlessly exclaimed in a voice that wouldn't normally have been heard at a concert, "Ohmygod, I love this song!" We three (and others) involuntarily cracked up because it came out at a very quiet moment and a lot of people heard because the venue is so tiny. Unfortunately, the Carson Daly Show was trying to tape the song, so Frank actually started it over...
Brevity is not my forte.

User avatar
Helium
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: York

Post by Helium » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:10 pm

I've got a video of Smiling at Strangers from NYE, (which I'll never put up cos my singing over the end of it is horrendous) but in the quiet part before the end you can hear some guy shout 'Yes Franky!' - always makes me laugh
10: 18/03, 27/08, 04/12, 31/12
11: 17/2, 21/4, 13/5 16/5, 7/7, 26/8 (x2), 24/11, 26/11, 27/11
12: 13/4, 7/7, 12/11, 13/11, 17/11
13: 17/4, 19/4, 11/7, 12/7
14: 7/2, 9/2, 12/2, 28/9
15: 24/3, 27/8, 15/11, 23/11
16: 23/11, 13/12, 15/12
18: 8/5, 13/5

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests