Libertarian Guitar Solo

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

groovesinorbit

Libertarian Guitar Solo

Post by groovesinorbit » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi Frank,

Saw you in Baltimore last week. It was an awesome show. Thanks for signing my cd and taking a picture with me. (I was the middle-aged woman in the grey t-shirt who bugged you before the show.)

Your intro to "Sons of Liberty" that mentioned playing a "libertarian" guitar solo as well as other stuff I've seen online concerning your politics has me curious. Is there a difference between libertarians in the UK and the US?

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:48 pm

hi there. uh, i'm not 100% sure on this. i find the word "libertarian" a bit clunky, essentially my politics are classically liberal, but the word "liberal" has been so utterly hijacked in recent years that it's not at all helpful to use it (e.g. the Liberal Democrat party in the UK, currently suggesting a state register of approved journalists and opposing local police chief elections, referenda, primaries and the like... the mind boggles).
i'm both socially and economically ultra-liberal, basically.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

groovesinorbit

Post by groovesinorbit » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. I saw on the Sleeping Souls FB wall that you were feeling under the weather on Friday. I hope that's past.

Libertarian is a very clunky word, and it's interesting how "liberal" as a political adjective has changed over time. I didn't even know until a few years ago that classic liberalism was a thing, and I like to think I'm somewhat awake. That is crazy that Liberal Democrats in the UK are supporting a list of approved journalists, etc. Similar things are happening in the US with the Democrats (what used to be the "modern liberal" party here) in Congress supporting the Patriot Act as strongly as the Republicans after 9/11, eliminating a lot of our civil rights with the stroke of a pen. Interesting times.

For what it's worth, I'm socially ultra-liberal, too. Economically, not so much.