My First Frank Gig

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

herdivineshadow

Post by herdivineshadow » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 am

Rags wrote:^^^ I just read your user name as "Her div is a shadow" which made me giggle
Hehe, been using this username so long it's lost all meaning for me as 3 separate words/tv villain name.
Rachel x

last.fm | twitter

Leilalei

Post by Leilalei » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Mine was at Reading Festival this year, (such a noob) but it was also my sons and he is only 9 so at least Im setting him up right for the future :lol: (it was his 2nd reading fest too)
Never put a sock in a toaster!

RyanL

Post by RyanL » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:56 pm

March 13th, 2010
The first time i saw frank was chance. I did not actually go to see him; he opened up for flogging molly on their green 17 tour in 2010. I remember the place was packed solid and the balconies were starting to fill too.(The Aragon Ballroom in chicago is a fairly decent sized indoor venue)
Then this guy comes out on stage and tears it up (he was solo for this show). It was ace! I think the best part was that Matt Hensley did the improv fills on accordion (in the places i now know are designated for harmonica) I was instantly sold, and in the morning when i could just barely remember what had happened, i stumbled onto my computer and ordered Love Ire & Song. =D
Chicago - 13:03:10, 20:10:10, 02:05:11, 26:10:11
Bonnaroo - 10:06:10/12:06:10
Download (UK) - 12:06:11
:D

DieselBenz

Post by DieselBenz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Mine was Leeds Festival this year, which was not only my first show but my first time hearing him at all. Loved him immediately. I think it's safe to say it was the most I've ever enjoyed a set from someone I'd never heard before. Then I got to see him again at Reading two days later (I follow Muse around as much as possible). Wish I'd caught on a lot sooner! Going to see him in Philly Nov. 4 and that will be my first proper Frank Turner show where 1) I know the songs going in and 2) am not getting kicked in the head with a mud-caked wellie every 30 seconds (not that that wasn't fun at the time ...).

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:08 am

My first FT gig was #4 which was the Xtra Mile 1st birthday party in Kilburn 07/04/05. Crazy night.
#4-07.04.05 #11-28.10.05 #28-13.12.05 #34-19.01.06 #70-02.04.06 #93-30.04.06 #144-13.07.06 #169-09.10.06 #227-06.02.07 #285-08.05.07 #421-10.04.08 #526-26.10.08 #528-28.10.08 #725 26.10.09 #726 26.10.09 #816 19.03.10 #1028 24.05.11 #1303-01.12.12

lewiswilliam

Post by lewiswilliam » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am

cburton92 wrote:The first frank gig i went to, i was 15, it was May 2007 at the Cambridge Junction, with Blah Blah Blah and Jay Jay Pistolet, in front of 75 odd people all sat down. Wicked gig, chatted to Frank after the show, he complimented my Minor Threat t-shirt, then signed the poster i bought off him with 'Chris, I'll Miss You!'

Great night.
I was there too, think that was my second time seeing frank. (My first was in cambridge in February of that year - at which point I was more interested in seeing Beans on Toast, who was supporting). The junction gig had such an 'audience with frank turner' feel to it, which at the time I thought was a bit creepy as people were too quiet. Looking back on it, it's definitely a great memory as it was something different.

JustAnotherLoser

Post by JustAnotherLoser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:06 pm

I first saw Frank when he opened for Social Distortion at First Ave. in Minneapolis in October 2010. Fucking loved the show, got a few CDs and got a few of my friends and my brothers hooked too. Just saw him in town against at the Triple Rock and month ago, and just heard that he's coming back to play with the Dropkicks in February

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:25 am

Evan wrote:My first Frank gig, was Frank's first Frank gig, at 93 Feet East in 2004. It was a Smalltown America all dayer for Cancer Research, and myself and Big Ginger Paul volunteered to be stage crew for the day. This involved lifting and shifting gear and drinking an obscene amount of free beer.

I remember very little about it other than he sat on a chair, and afterward we headed back to my flat in Romford to see the night out. Frank threw up off the balcony, and a random stranger whom we had somehow picked up (i cannot remember the circumstances) tried to sleep in my bed without consent (I wasn't in it at the time I hasten to add). Good times.

First thing in the morning we (stupidly) split a bottle of 20/20 and went to Nambucca for Sensible Sundays. I was a fucking mess by about 3pm and had to go home before I either collapsed or threw up or both. I woke up 6 stops past mine on the train and had to head back again, which was painful.

I bunked work the following day.
LO freaking L!!!

part time

Post by part time » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:08 am

23rd August 2007 @ The 12-Bar, Swindon

On the advice of someone whose musical tips could best be described as 'patchy' Still, it was cheap tickets and I didn't have to drive so why not. Glad I went on this occasion though...very glad.

Can't believe it was only four years ago, the songs now seem so ingrained.

Oxon

Re: My First Frank Gig

Post by Oxon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:46 pm

My first ever Frank gig was when he supported Biffy Clyro at the Oxford Brookes SU bar on 16/05/2007. I had never heard of him before, but I thought he was really great when I heard him live. After that, I was hooked and he's been one of my all time favourite musicians ever since.

kj11

Post by kj11 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:05 pm

My first Frank gig....is tomorrow! :)

bethannny

Post by bethannny » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:28 am

4th April 2010 @ AB Club, Brussels, Belgium

Which is pretty weird, because at the time I lived in Kent.

Couldn't get tickets for the Roundhouse show so somehow decided that Belgium was the next-best option. Promptly bought 2 tickets for me and a friend, booked the Eurostar and a cheap hotel. Belgium it was.

Was a bizzare two days. Neither of us speak French or Flemish but somehow managed to negotiate gare du midi, the metro, finding the hotel and the venue. Was a small show (with Crazy Arm - who I now adore) which was damngood. Frank climbing down into the crowd to sing to me during photosynthesis was special.
Went up to him afterwards; he apologised for my broken voice, and asked my friend and I for drinks (and some lovely Brummies!) plus a guy who he knew but whose name he couldn't remember (he mentioned this at some point, saying something about calling him "mate" and hoping to get away with it. Classic).

Everyone else buggered off gradually - ended up with us three drinking and chatting until about 2am. My friend beat him in a whisky shot contest; she's proud of that to this day.
Frank then proceeded to inform us he'd forgotten where the tour bus was. I told him it was big and silver and got a blank look.
Good job I remembered where it was really. Walked him back, thanked with hugs, me + friend went back to our hotel and home the next morning. Awesome.

My lasting memory was how tall Frank was. I'm not that short but could fit under his arm.
"Nobody knows what's going to happen to anybody besides the forlorn rags of growing old".

Bella

Post by Bella » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm

1084 - Set Theatre, Kilkenny, Ireland - Solo Show

followed by full band show in Whelans a few days later - for whichI was right at the front.. during Sombody to Love, he was so close to me I couldn't get the camera to focus!.

About half way through the Kilkenny gig, I freaked out for a split second - so many of the lyrics are relatable enough that it felt like Frank had been in my head & looking at my life/memories... and then logic kicked back in again & I realised he is just an amazing lyricist, who has never met me and knows nothing about my life.

I didn't know at that point how much of a real person he is, and that he sometimes props up the bar after gigs. We ended up having a few drinks with him & talking about home :-) Such a nice guy!

I hope I get the chance to see him live a LOT more often.

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

Steph

Post by Steph » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Mine was November 15th at the Melkweg, Amsterdam.

I'm Italian and still live in the remote heel of this boot, so I was let's say on holiday there - actually I accompanied my best friend Ros who's moved to Utrecht, which means it was quite a difficult moment for us. The gig was great as it could be, Frank and the Sleeping Souls were at their best as usual. Thanks to Ros' job we had got the chance to interview Frank that afternoon, which was really nice - he's a lovely bloke indeed - and gave me the chance to make sure that 'Polaroid Picture' was in the setlist. Eventually, that song that I have loved since the first listen became the soundtrack of my departure. While going to the station, Ros told me that song had just popped out in her mind (she's not much of a fan, so this was meaningful), which made me cry. God, I'll never forget that moment, that gig, that journey. Music, once again, making the soundtrack to this special friendship. And this time it was Frank's turn. :wink:

"Let go of the little distractions, hold close to the ones that you love, cause we won't all be here this time next year, so while you can take a picture of us"

SanDimas1988

Post by SanDimas1988 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 pm

My first show was a solo acoustic on a Tuesday night in Syracuse NY last year. There was probably only 25 people there, and they mostly seemed to be for the hometown opening band. The show was amazing, so intimate. For The Ballad of Me and My Friends Frank came down and had everyone gather around him. I've always wondered whether Frank likes those shows as they're a change of pace, or whether he hates them as he wasted a lot of money to drive to the middle of nowhere for a tiny crowd.