My First Frank Gig

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

04rebhop

Post by 04rebhop » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:37 pm

My first show was number 868 when Frank supported Green Day at Wembley Stadium.

martin

Post by martin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:01 pm

greg wrote:
martin wrote:
greg wrote: fairly sure i was also wearing a beanie cap, i.e. overall, i looked like a bit of a cunt.
did you not actually turn up to a show dressed as frank?
that was some Halloween million dead fancy dress gig.

fairly sure i had a brief chat with him in the pub bit of the venue earlier in the evening, when i was dressed completely normally. later strolling out of a toilet wearing a home made 'yourcodenameis:milo' spoof t-shirt, taped on beard, wig and cowboy hat was quite amusing.

edit: here we go. my photobucket account appears to be almost 90% million dead related photos.

fucking brilliant.

edit: Bound to be some absolute gold in that account that i'm intrigued/terrified about.
Last edited by martin on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"they cant even read what their selling, dirty bastards"

valderie

Post by valderie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:46 am

Evan wrote:
valderie wrote:my first gig was #659, july 8, 2009 at Roseland Ballroom in NYC. he opened up for sum41 and the offspring and had, in my opinion, stolen the show.

a boss of mine had been gushing about frank a few months prior and i checked him after his recommendations, bought Love Ire & Song and was done for. so even though i had originally bought the ticket for roseland for the other two bands, by the time it came around i was more excited for frank.

since then i've seen him 12 times total, and have 3 more shows up at the end of his US tour this fall.

That was a great show. Although I remember having a right to do trying to get an over 21's wrist band so i could drink, and missing the first couple of songs.
YES!!!
I was up in the balcony for that show. And ugh yeah they're kind of a mess at that venue with the wristbands. I took this video that night, it's still one of my favorites (I missed the beginning because I had to convince security I was just going to "take pictures") -- it's of I Knew Prufrock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CrkIiyIgOU

HairyChris444

Post by HairyChris444 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:36 pm

First was #1.

Highlight of the show was Frank & his sister singing "Dancing Queen" in the dressing room afterwards to ginger Paul & myself (and maybe Evan). It was a few years until he took that out in public, so to speak...
valderie wrote:
Evan wrote:
valderie wrote:my first gig was #659, july 8, 2009 at Roseland Ballroom in NYC. he opened up for sum41 and the offspring and had, in my opinion, stolen the show.

a boss of mine had been gushing about frank a few months prior and i checked him after his recommendations, bought Love Ire & Song and was done for. so even though i had originally bought the ticket for roseland for the other two bands, by the time it came around i was more excited for frank.

since then i've seen him 12 times total, and have 3 more shows up at the end of his US tour this fall.

That was a great show. Although I remember having a right to do trying to get an over 21's wrist band so i could drink, and missing the first couple of songs.
YES!!!
I was up in the balcony for that show. And ugh yeah they're kind of a mess at that venue with the wristbands. I took this video that night, it's still one of my favorites (I missed the beginning because I had to convince security I was just going to "take pictures") -- it's of I Knew Prufrock.

It was a good show, although I was very jet-lagged. Did you make it to Hoboken the next day?

I'd hate to admit it but Sum 41 know how to play the crowd.
Pants by M&S. Tea by Tesco. Specs by Specsaver. Drugs by Milpharm.

Gigs seen: #1, ALL OTHERS ARE IRRELEVANT!

valderie

Post by valderie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:36 am

HairyChris444 wrote:First was #1.

Highlight of the show was Frank & his sister singing "Dancing Queen" in the dressing room afterwards to ginger Paul & myself (and maybe Evan). It was a few years until he took that out in public, so to speak...
valderie wrote:
Evan wrote: Image

YES!!!

It was a good show, although I was very jet-lagged. Did you make it to Hoboken the next day?

I'd hate to admit it but Sum 41 know how to play the crowd.
Ah I love Sum41, and i think what keeps bringing me back to their shows even though my tastes have sort of out grown their music is their crowd control. very fun.

Sadly I did not make it to Hoboken, I had an showcase the following night I HAD to attend for my internship at the time. It was a nice evening, would've preferred the frank gig though.

As Good As It Gets

Post by As Good As It Gets » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 am

43. 2nd February 2006 @ Jax Bar,Hartlepool

I put it on, i noticed Frank was up in the North East around this time and had a spare date between shows. I already had a gig planned but could do with another band so a quick email later and Frank became that other band.

The poster...

I can't remember much about the gig i was running around sorting stuff out but i do remember him playing 'Thatcher fucked the kids'.

After the gig we went to my local for a lock-in till the early hours getting drunk and chatting about everything from Eton (I worked there when Frank was there) to UKHC gigs at The Red Eye.

Then it was back to my flat where i drunkenly attempted to make pasta while my dog Murphy Ramone enterained/annoyed Frank.

Good times!
43. 2nd February 2006 @ Jax Bar, Hartlepool

The day Frank came & played for me!

greg

Post by greg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:15 am

martin wrote:
greg wrote:
martin wrote: did you not actually turn up to a show dressed as frank?
that was some Halloween million dead fancy dress gig.

fairly sure i had a brief chat with him in the pub bit of the venue earlier in the evening, when i was dressed completely normally. later strolling out of a toilet wearing a home made 'yourcodenameis:milo' spoof t-shirt, taped on beard, wig and cowboy hat was quite amusing.

edit: here we go. my photobucket account appears to be almost 90% million dead related photos.

fucking brilliant.

edit: Bound to be some absolute gold in that account that i'm intrigued/terrified about.
there's one that you'll be particularly keen to avoid the publication of. don't worry, i won't. here are some good ones though:

(sorry to others for the rather 'in-joke' nature of this post.)

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:22 am

Fucking hell. Both Paul and Frank look very young here, which makes it seem like a long time ago. Not least for the Claw.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

greg

Post by greg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:26 am

that was taken in Harlow I believe. 2004 / 2005, can't remember which.

frank getting his hair cut really was a fantastic day for him. is it a coincidence that things really started taking off once he lost that barnet? i think not.

how is paul doing these days by the way?

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 am

greg wrote:that was taken in Harlow I believe. 2004 / 2005, can't remember which.

frank getting his hair cut really was a fantastic day for him. is it a coincidence that things really started taking off once he lost that barnet? i think not.

how is paul doing these days by the way?
Paul is pretty good from what I can gather. Father of two, got married in August (I was best man), landed a really good job, and is now living and working in Woking.

Frank's hair cut vs success - you're probably right.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

tampateri

Post by tampateri » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 am

my first show was just last year
956. 12th November 2010 @ Jannus Landing, St Petersburg, FL, USA

first off, if any of you are ever in the area and get a chance to see a show at this venue, do it. it's one of my favorite venues ever and i've seen some of the best acts there.

on this particular evening, Frank opened for Social Distortion. this was about our fifth time seeing SD live at this same venue and we were supper stoked that they were touring and were amped to see their show. we saw Frank's name and decided to check him out before the show. i pulled up the video for "The Road" and that's all it took. i found myself just as excited to see him as SD. after an amazing set, i went over to the merch stand to buy a shirt and possibly a cd. i was shocked to find Mr. Turner selling his own wares with a lovely girl there helping him. i bought a CD (Poetry of the Deed) and a shirt and he was so nice and chatted with me a little and signed my CD and posed for a picture with me.

around the beginning of august, after we had just purchased our tickets for the next SD show that will be here in Nov, i thought to myself "i wonder what that Frank Turner is up to" and found that he was playing right down the road. i did not hesitate and bought tickets for myself, my husband, and my son. we all had an amazing night. (/storytime)

herdivineshadow

Post by herdivineshadow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:12 pm

~Katt wrote:
marky mark wrote:599. 7th March 2009 @ Pure Groove Records, London
This was about the time I thought "fuck it" and just started going to gigs on my own. In hindsight, I wish I'd had that thought much earlier as I missed out on a good couple of years of gigs while in London.
What a great day when you figure out that going to a gig by yourself is totally fucking liberating. I wish I'd known it sooner.
I used to go to gigs with my Dad - to start off with because my parents were always fairly protective of me and I was like... 15 or 16, but also because my Dad was totally rocking and cool and would go to any gig I wanted to, buy the tickets, drive us there, on the odd occasion pick up something totally random from the merch stand for me and then pop out just before the encore to have a smoke while he went to get the car to pick me up from right outside whatever venue it was.

And then when I was old enough to go on my own? I went with my Dad because he was cool and obvs, he was my Dad and I love him :D.

After you've had a fantastic gig buddy like my Dad, going with anyone else seems kind of lame in comparison (sorry all my friends, it's true). I think in the end he managed to see my favourite band ever, AFI, something like six times even though he thought they were only "OK".

So, I first saw Frank at Brixton last year on my own because I was browsing the Brixton Academy website and Frank and Interpol were a week apart and I thought "Sod it, I'll get tickets for both". Both gigs were totally aces and after both gigs I discovered via the medium of social media that a couple of my friends and my cousin had been there too.
Rachel x

last.fm | twitter

Rags

Post by Rags » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:21 pm

^^^ I just read your user name as "Her div is a shadow" which made me giggle
23.08.08, 04.02.09, 29.10.09, 19.06.10, 12.12.10, 31.12.10, 18.02.11, 21.04.11, 07.07.11, 26.08.11 X2, 24.11.11, 26.11.11, 27.11.11, 13.04.12, 20.08.12, 23.08.13

martin

Post by martin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:24 pm

greg wrote:
martin wrote:
greg wrote: that was some Halloween million dead fancy dress gig.

fucking brilliant.

there's one that you'll be particularly keen to avoid the publication of. don't worry, i won't. here are some good ones though:

(sorry to others for the rather 'in-joke' nature of this post.)
Really quite a lot of stuff there that i don't remember.

Fairly sure i know which photo you're referring to - cheers.

Really quite a bizarre time.
"they cant even read what their selling, dirty bastards"

moving pictures

Post by moving pictures » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:27 am

Good work caesar.

Good grip of the teddy bear, bodger.