Springsteen

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Bossman66

Re: Springsteen

Post by Bossman66 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Hyde Park was the worst of the 7 Springsteen gigs I took in this year, maybe joint worst with Sunderland, blown out of the water by Manchester & both Paris gigs, one of which was the best gig I've ever seen by anybody!

The sound was absolutely dreadful unless you were right up the front, imo, or at least in the direct line of a speaker stack, the sightlines were ruined by the most stupidly placed VIP pit I've ever seen. The crowd was one of the most obnoxious I've ever witnessed, rarely listening to any of the quieter songs, piss & beer breaks galore etc.

Springsteen was still great of course & I waited 25 years to see him play 'Thunder Road' like THAT & 'Take 'Em As They Come' was a genuine rarity. Those 2 alone just about saved it for me I guess.

It probably didn't help my mood that my guests, my oldest friend & my god-daughter who I hadn't seen for over 15 years, had to cancel 24 hours before the gig (but I got them their money back with less than a day's notice), but I was still with friends & genuine Bruce fans.

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

~Katt

Post by ~Katt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:11 am

I've broken my rule about paying a fortune for large-venue performances and laid down $300 for a pair of Springsteen tickets at National Stadium in DC in September. I haven't seen Bruce live since the '80s and generally am not fond of stadium-sized gigs, but there was alcohol involved and one of my friends had spare tix, so I said yes.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed, but I'll report back after the show.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm sure he'll be great. Most of the reasons Hyde Park wasn't as good as the others was down to the venue/people/weather, not Bruce who seems to be playing harder/as well as at any time since I first saw him in 99 on the reunion tour.

It was still very, very good, just not up to at least 5 of the other 6 and the sound was down to the organisers and the council, not Bruce. His own shows have had great sound both indoors and out this tour.

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 pm

By the way, I previously said Manchester may have been the best gig I ever went to. Scratch that, both nights at Paris were amazing & the second on the 5th was the best I went to this tour with an absolutely stunning beginning sequence.

Here's my videos of the solo piano songs from 4th & 5th respectively:

Independence Day on 4th July:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_htKh1MQao

For You on 5th July:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGp7hgsx ... ure=relmfu

I do have one or 2 Frank vids you can link to from my pages too, taken at Newport last year.

Bossman

~Katt

Post by ~Katt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:16 am

Nice job on the Bruce vids!

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm

So on Sunday we shared Frank's Top 20 Bruce songs on the btx forum at Backstreets.com.

Thanks once more Frank for taking part especially SO soon after getting back to Blighty from recording the album in the US. Mike & I really appreciated the effort you put it:

***ANNOUNCEMENT – Frank Turner Top 20 Bruce Songs***

This week we are pleased to post,with his kind permission,the Top 20 of British folk/punk artist Frank Turner. It’s my birthday & I make no apologies for posting the list of an artist I really admire this weekend. I'm sure they'll be some comments about his choices & before anyone suggests otherwise, I'm no more a friend of Frank Turner than anyone else who's a member of his fan board.

Frank is a hit artist in the UK with 4 studio albums under his belt. He has covered Thunder Road both on record & many times live. He's built up his fanbase by building a great reputation for live performance & has played well over 1000 shows since going solo. He also performed with his band 'The Sleeping Souls' before the opening ceremony of this year’s Olympic Games.

He’s a fantastic live performer, as confirmed by lots of Bruce fans right here on btx over on ‘where the bands are’:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=231103

He truly believes & has faith in the power of Rock N Roll & is the 2nd best live performer I’ve seen (behind only Bruce).

Here’s ‘I Still Believe’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ-D4jmkUiQ

& ‘Redemption’ which name checks Bruce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5HM3ZHQIqU

If they whetted your appetite at all, you can find out more about Frank Turner here (with links to his website/facebook & fan forum):

http://frank-turner.com/

It’s so cool that he really moderates his own board & answers fans questions regularly on his forum.

Here's what Frank had to say in response to our request:

Hey Mark
Apologies for slow replies on this, been pretty snowed under with stuff lately and wanted to give this some proper attention. Here’s a list with a few comments.
FT

1 Born To Run – It’s a boring first choice in a way, but it’s still basically the best rock
song of all time

2 Reason To Believe – Kind of the opposite end of his spectrum, but I love this song

3 Racing In The Street – Both versions are amazing

4 Thunder Road – Another old classic. I’ve covered this many times

5 Devils And Dust – Title Track from a really underrated album, in my opinion

6 My Best Was Never Good Enough – Simple and beautiful

7 Growin’ Up – I prefer Springsteen as he gets older but there’s something lovely and
Innocent about this

8 No Surrender – Brian, Gaslight turned me onto this tune. I was a little sheepish around
the Born in the USA record before.

9 Atlantic City – I prefer the way they do this live these days

10 The River – Epic

11 The Wrestler – I love the way Springsteen still pulls them out of the bag, even
recently, and kind of to order. Awesome.

12 I’m Goin’ Down – I first heard this one when my friend Kid Harpoon covered it,
beautiful song

13 Night – One of my favourite cuts from BTR

14 The Ghost Of Tom Joad – Great song.

15 Blinded By The Light

16 Waitin’ On A Sunny Day

17 Used Cars

18 Badlands

19 10th Avenue Freeze-Out

20 Radio Nowhere

We'd like to thank Frank for taking part in the vote on BTX, and for his support, particularly as he responded within a few days of getting back from the US where he recorded his 5th studio album due out in 2013.

May we please continue to encourage all BTX members to take part too. PLEASE continue to vote on this thread.

Franks' Top 20 has been accepted unanimously (ie by both of us!) as the twelfth eligible "guest vote" without reservation and part of the poll, which we hope, with his encouragement, will go on to become the biggest fan opinion poll ever undertaken.

Any further guest posters (& we are chasing them) will be posted on the Top 20 Vote thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=308237

on Sundays either during the Bruce Brunch if we are able to, or if not at 6pm UK time,that's 1pm East Coast time, with a trailing announcement (if possible) during the Brunch.

Please also continue to support the Photographers' For Sandy/Backstreets Hurrican Sandy effort if you are able:
http://www.njfoodbank.org/blog/5438/spr ... ndy-relief

Have a great day, everyone!
Jamesy & Bossman66 (Mike & Mark)

lb130

Post by lb130 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:33 pm

I have been a fan of "The Boss" for a number of years, he just seems to be getting better as he gets older, some of the tracks on Wrecking Ball like, "Jack of All Trades" & "Death to my Hometown" are especially good. The Seeger sessions gets over-looked as well, but again there is some great tracks on there.

My top 5 Springsteen Albums though are:

Born To Run
Nebraska
The Ghost Of Tom Joad
Magic
Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Their are too many great songs to pick a favourite but Racing in The Street and Jungleland are excellent as well as Youngstown from the Live in New York city Album which is stunning.

working claas

Post by working claas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 am

Bruce & The E Street Band announced 22 new tour dates in Europe for the 2013 leg of the Wrecking Ball World Tour, including Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Geneva just added today!

April 30 – Oslo, Norway – Telenor Arena – on sale Dec. 10 at billettservice.no
May 3 – Stockholm, Sweden – Friends Arena – on sale Dec. 10 at ticnet.se
May 14 – Copenhagen, Denmark – Parken – on sale Dec. 10 at billetnet.dk
May 26 – Munich, Germany – Olympiastadion – on sale now at eventim.de
May 28 – Hannover, Germany – AWD Arena – on sale now at eventim.de
May 30 – Naples, Italy – Piazza Plebiscito – on sale Dec. 7 at ticketone.it
June 1 – Padova, Italy – Stadio Euganeo – on sale Dec. 7 at ticketone.it
June 3 – Milan, Italy – Stadio San Siro – on sale now at ticketone.it
June 15 – London, England – Wembley Stadium – on sale Dec. 7 at ticketmaster.co.uk
June 18 – Glasgow, Scotland – Hampden Park – on sale Dec. 7 at livenation.co.uk
June 20 – Coventry, England – Ricoh Arena – on sale Dec. 7 at livenation.co.uk
June 22- Nijmegen, Netherlands – Goffertpark – on sale now at ticketmaster.nl
June 29 – Paris, France – Stade de France – on sale Dec. 5 at gdp.fr
July 3 – Geneva, Switzerland – Stade de Genève – on sale Dec. 6
July 5 – Mönchengladbach, Germany – Borussia-Park – on sale now at eventim.de
July 7 – Leipzig, Germany – Red Bull Arena – on sale now at eventim.de
July 11 – Rome, Italy – Rock in Roma – on sale Dec. 10 at ticketone.it
July 13 – Werchter, Belgium – Rock Werchter – on sale now at twclassic.be
July 16 – Limerick, Ireland – Thomond Park – on sale Dec. 6 at ticketmaster.ie
July 18 – Cork, Ireland – Páirc Uí Chaoimh – on sale Dec. 6 at ticketmaster.ie
July 20 – Belfast, Northern Ireland – King's Hall – on sale Dec. 6 at ticketmaster.ie
September 15 – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Rock In Rio - on sale TBA
Music and lyrics reflect ordinary people - but larger than life.

Watergirl

Post by Watergirl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:29 am

Tom Morello will replace Steve Van Zandt on the Australian leg of Bruce's tour, as Steve is filming season two of "Lilyhammer". Wow, that should be quite something.

Frank & co, are you aware you will be in Australia when Springsteen's tour hits down under?!
872 1064 1084 1087 1088 1133 1134 1184 1185 1216 1257 1281 1282 1307 1308 1309 1310 1364 1444 1445 1446 1463 1527 1529 1530 1543 1545 1621 1622 1623 1697 1698 1700 1704 1782 1784 1785 1786 1808 1829 1830 1831 1876 1877 1958 1977 1997 1999 2000 2076

Iwillnotgrowup

Post by Iwillnotgrowup » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Bossman66 wrote:Hyde Park was the worst of the 7 Springsteen gigs I took in this year, maybe joint worst with Sunderland, blown out of the water by Manchester & both Paris gigs, one of which was the best gig I've ever seen by anybody!

The sound was absolutely dreadful unless you were right up the front, imo, or at least in the direct line of a speaker stack, the sightlines were ruined by the most stupidly placed VIP pit I've ever seen. The crowd was one of the most obnoxious I've ever witnessed, rarely listening to any of the quieter songs, piss & beer breaks galore etc.

Springsteen was still great of course & I waited 25 years to see him play 'Thunder Road' like THAT & 'Take 'Em As They Come' was a genuine rarity. Those 2 alone just about saved it for me I guess.

It probably didn't help my mood that my guests, my oldest friend & my god-daughter who I hadn't seen for over 15 years, had to cancel 24 hours before the gig (but I got them their money back with less than a day's notice), but I was still with friends & genuine Bruce fans.

Bossman
That Hyde Park gig was ruined by large sections of the crowd, in my personal opinion. Bruce was amazing as usual but people were just chatting whilst he was playing and at one point I was tapped on the shoulder by a middle-aged woman who told me "I'm here to listen to Bruce Springsteen sing, not you". Fuck that!!
Bossman66 wrote: 8 No Surrender – Brian, Gaslight turned me onto this tune. I was a little sheepish around
the Born in the USA record before.
I had a tear in my eye when I watched the Hyde Park DVD when Brian sang No Surrender with Bruce. Brian looks like he is about to burst into tears too, it's an amazing version in my opinion!!

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Iwillnotgrowup wrote:I had a tear in my eye when I watched the Hyde Park DVD when Brian sang No Surrender with Bruce. Brian looks like he is about to burst into tears too, it's an amazing version in my opinion!!
I hadn't seen this before. Awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rTI0oCe0E

darlene
shows? 62 so far

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:12 pm

~Katt wrote:I've broken my rule about paying a fortune for large-venue performances and laid down $300 for a pair of Springsteen tickets at National Stadium in DC in September. I haven't seen Bruce live since the '80s and generally am not fond of stadium-sized gigs, but there was alcohol involved and one of my friends had spare tix, so I said yes.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed, but I'll report back after the show.

So Katt, how was it?

Was it worth the money?

if Bruce was great, please tell the Frank fans that are yet to be convinced.......lol

Bossman

Watergirl

Post by Watergirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Fantastic quote here about Bruce from a Rolling Stone interview with Jim James of My Morning Jacket (I must confess I have yet to check them out). I could not have described this any better.

You're a big Neil Young fan. Are you into his current work?
The last Neil Young record I really enjoyed was Prairie Wind. I thought that was a fucking beautiful record. I like everything that Neil does. Neil's a big hero of mine, but I really came to this realization: I saw Springsteen in Louisville, and I've never been giant Springsteen fan. I only liked things here or there and I wasn't like a giant fan. I saw him in Louisville and he was fucking phenomenal! It was like seeing the sun shine for the first time or something. It was like he was so positive and it felt like every motherfucker in that place was his best friend. You know he touched everybody. He was crowd surfing. He was fucking running around and shit. When you see Neil [Young] and Bob [Dylan], they're, like, all pissed and you feel like they don't give a fuck if you're there or not. I'm so sick of that, and seeing Bruce I was like, "Fucking-a, man! Thank you! I paid a lot of money to be at this fucking show and you care I'm here." It was just, like, such a revelation.

Read the full Q&A at rollingstone.com.
872 1064 1084 1087 1088 1133 1134 1184 1185 1216 1257 1281 1282 1307 1308 1309 1310 1364 1444 1445 1446 1463 1527 1529 1530 1543 1545 1621 1622 1623 1697 1698 1700 1704 1782 1784 1785 1786 1808 1829 1830 1831 1876 1877 1958 1977 1997 1999 2000 2076

Fortunate Son

Post by Fortunate Son » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:59 am

@Bossman66 - is that pic of you outside the house that's on the "My Hometown" picture sleeve ?

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Fortunate Son wrote:@Bossman66 - is that pic of you outside the house that's on the "My Hometown" picture sleeve ?
It'll be the tree on Randolph St. All that's left of Springsteen's childhood home.