Springsteen

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:05 am

It does however have Cautious Man on it, which is perhaps one of his finest auto-biographical songs.

martin

Post by martin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 am

Lexapalooza wrote:
martin wrote:tunnel of love was the first ever album i bought. got it on vinyl for £1. reading library. bargain.
That was the first tour I saw him on. 1987 I believe. Kind of s shit album retrospectively.
the artwork alone was worth £1.

"they cant even read what their selling, dirty bastards"

Mr. Dondero

Post by Mr. Dondero » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm

The artwok of Tunnel of Love is awful, but the album is vastly underrated.

I've never heard an album that deals with the decline of a relationship with such depth, honesty and insight. I don't think there is a bad song on the album.

Spare Parts is just a stunning song about male irresponsibility and broken promise yet also very heavy in religious undertones, particularly the baptismal image.

Tunnel of Love is ridiculously clever. Using a funhouse metaphor to explore the breakdown of a relationship. "the lights go out and it's just the three of us, you me and all that stuff we're so scared of" What a fucking line that is.

Brilliant Disguise is pretty much the best song ever written about love. The layers of doubt and deception in the relationship just grow and grow through each line that passes.

I really love Bruce's view on the album, "I wanted to write a different type of romantic song, one that took different types of emotional experiances of any relationship where you are really engaging with that other person and not involved in a narcissistic romantic fantasy or intoxication or whatever... I wanted to make a record about what I felt about really letting another person into your life and trying to be a part of someone else's life. That's a frightening thing"

So yer, I think Tunnel of Love is a wonderful album.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:24 pm

fair fucks. i shall give it another go.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 pm

My favourite line in the whole album is in Cautious Man where he writes
"Down to the highway he strode, and when he got there, he didn't find nothing but road".

For a guy who wrote so many songs about the escapism of the car, and the highway, to see "nothing but road" tells alot about his state of mind while writing the albums.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:27 pm

You can't really have that level of escapism in a car over here. Driving a few hours, you'll just end up in cornwall, or leeds.
Adam_Bennett wrote:..I'm a folk rock musician similar to Boucher and everyone else.

cburton92

Post by cburton92 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Gerry wrote:So what would be a good starting point for someone who hasn't listened to much springsteen before?
born to run.. definatly.

i can't think of anything to complain about that album.

did anyone like 'The Rising?' I personally think there's a quite a few good tracks on it.

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:45 pm

cburton92 wrote:
Gerry wrote:So what would be a good starting point for someone who hasn't listened to much springsteen before?
born to run.. definatly.

i can't think of anything to complain about that album.

did anyone like 'The Rising?' I personally think there's a quite a few good tracks on it.
I completely forgot aboutthe Rising when it came to modern day Springsteen! It's a phenomenal album. Highlight tracks being Nothing Man, Paradise and You're Missing.

smige2

Post by smige2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:13 pm

I don't think I ever listened to Tunnel of Love all the way through more than once.

My top 5:

1) Born to Run
2) Nebraska
3) Greetings from Asbury Park
4) Born in the USA
5) The River

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Really excited about the Darkness boxset that's coming, plus the film! If the tracks on The Lost Masters are anyting to go by, it's going to sound immense.

deano

Post by deano » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Atlantic City is my favourite song of his.
http://www.thetrolleypushers.blogspot.com 28/05/07 - 04/04/08 - 31/07/09 - 16/10/09 - 17/03/10 - 26/08/10 - 18/05/11 - 26/11/11

Wez

Post by Wez » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Springsteen always been an artist that I have been undereducated on, which is weird because whenever one of his tracks comes on the radio, I always reach for the volume with that, "Fucking love this track!" thought in my head.

Thanks to this thread, I decided to get started properly. Downloaded greatest hits (legally) for now, given how loudly I was singing along to 'Born to Run' while doing the ironing, I think I am going to be finding myself working through his back catalog, so thanks to the thread.

Springsteen <3
"Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."
—Stephen Hawking

Duke St King

Post by Duke St King » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:05 pm

frank wrote:i agree that the river has a fair amount of... flab, shall we say.
Double album syndrome. I can ony think of a handful of double albums that are great works from beginning to end. I remember David Lee Roth from Van Halen being asked why all their albums were only around half an hour long, and he said there's a fine line between just enough and too much...always leave them wanting more. I think thats why Born to Run is so brilliant...8 perfect songs, and you wish there was another.

Anyhow, seeing as we're doing "Hi-Fidelity"-esque Top 5 lists and all...

1. Born to Run
2. Darkness on the Edge of Town (deluxe edition coming later this year...can't wait)
3. The Rising
4. Nebraska
5. We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Seeger Sessions is an odd choice, but its a great album to play on a summers night with a few beers.
I probably hate you

BigEgg

Post by BigEgg » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Really been getting in to Springsteen after I read this thread. Born to Run album is immense. The second half especially.

ryan

Post by ryan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Blonde wrote:So is anyone geeky enough to get the Japanese releases of the albums? I don't know if they're any different from the normal albums apart from Japanese writing on the sleeves.
I've got almost all of them. Reading around a bit it seems they were remastered, or use a different master or whatever, compared to other CD releases.

Tunnel of Love is a really good album as well. I stuck it on last night as it happens.