Ireland

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Karlol

Post by Karlol » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 pm

minidazzler wrote:
Tomasz wrote:
minidazzler wrote:True, I would love a pub show in my favourite bar actually, proper dive, but at 3 euro a pint, who cares! !
£2.65 a pint is cheap?!
Extremely. Generally it's between €4.20 and €5 for a pint where I am from. But then you have places in Dublin, like most of Temple Bar, that cost €5.35 to €6.10.

Drink is taxed to fuck over here, but in general it tastes far better than Pints I've had in England, America, France and Spain. Especially our stouts. But still, outrageously expensive.

Generally then things like shorts will cost 5 for a single, 9 for a double.
Do the single shorts only cover one leg?
Does Ireland have a lot of one-leggers?

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:31 am

I lived in Ireland for 2 months. Spend time in Dublin, Cork, Sligo, Limerick, Waterford, and a lot of small towns in between. Cheapest pint I could find was Murphy's in some of the towns in the SW going for 3.65 a pint. Not sure if Dublin has additional taxes or if its just to prey on tourists, but there were quite a few places charging 6.50 or so.

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:43 am

RyanC wrote:I lived in Ireland for 2 months. Spend time in Dublin, Cork, Sligo, Limerick, Waterford, and a lot of small towns in between. Cheapest pint I could find was Murphy's in some of the towns in the SW going for 3.65 a pint. Not sure if Dublin has additional taxes or if its just to prey on tourists, but there were quite a few places charging 6.50 or so.
Dublin, like London, has a higher cost of living all round in comparison to the rest of the country. I have lived there on and off on several occasions and this has always been the case. I am sure tourism etc has some baring, but it's the same as buying a pint in central london vs buying one further out of town.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I was just a bit horrified as I handed over about $10 worth of my poor, crippled, American currency to a bartender and got 1 pint in return. I much preferred the smaller towns where 3.50-3.80 was the norm.

Joobs

Post by Joobs » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:21 pm

I used to work in pubs for a run of 5 years.. when I started a pint of Guinness was £2.20 and a pint of lager £2.70 then the euro came in and at first the Guinness went up to €2.85 and lager went up to €3.05, gradually each year the government increased taxes on alcohol, and now we're at this monstrous price, which is ridiculous really..
I live in Dublin, and I know the pubs to go to where you get a relatively cheap pint which usually is under €5.. €4.75 or so.. but there are some night where pubs have "all drinks €3" alas, those places are shit holes.

should take a look at Germany! get pissed on 20 quid.. and it's better beer.

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Yeah, I found a few of those places in Dublin. A place called The Plow was my favorite. No loud shitty music, just a small pub with decent prices. The Franciscan Well was my favorite in Ireland though. Great in-house brews and not too bad prices. Is the tax on all alcohol or just pubs? I thought about buying beer and taking it home to cut costs, but you can't beat Guinness on drought or the variety at a decent pub.

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:17 pm

RyanC wrote:Yeah, I found a few of those places in Dublin. A place called The Plow was my favorite. No loud shitty music, just a small pub with decent prices. The Franciscan Well was my favorite in Ireland though. Great in-house brews and not too bad prices. Is the tax on all alcohol or just pubs? I thought about buying beer and taking it home to cut costs, but you can't beat Guinness on drought or the variety at a decent pub.
The well is a fantastic bar. Best variety in the city to be honest. Still the Bróg gets my vote everytime for cheap pints...and because no matter how fucked up I am they let me in. Literally have gone in with friends when we were all so fucked up that one guy puked and was allowed to stay. It's a dive, but it's my dive! :D

The Well has some of the most decent prices in the city actually, (cork for those wondering) especially on their house brews.
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

Tension Head

Post by Tension Head » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:44 pm

£2.65 is fairly cheap for a pint in Liverpool too. I'm quite happy to pay anything under £3.

Laura?

Post by Laura? » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Most places here are £3.10 for a pint of fucking Tennents.

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Just for anyone paying attention, Frank just posted the Ireland tour dates, middle of September in all the good civilised drinking spots in Ireland! Pretty sure I will hit them all up now in a haze of absolute drunkeness for the most part. Cheap tix too, like 10 euro for a few. Accomodation will kill me! :D Unless I can get people I know in each town to be nice and put me up, let's see how that goes!

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:31 pm

I may have to go to Dublin.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Evan wrote:I may have to go to Dublin.
Galway, is in many ways a better place to drink if you are of that persuasion. As long as you don't hate smelly students. Just sayin, I hate paying pub prices in Dublin.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:57 pm

minidazzler wrote:
Evan wrote:I may have to go to Dublin.
Galway, is in many ways a better place to drink if you are of that persuasion. As long as you don't hate smelly students. Just sayin, I hate paying pub prices in Dublin.
My parents live in Dublin. Two birds...

skhmmi

Post by skhmmi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Evan wrote:My parents live in Dublin. Two birds...
Quite the progressive family upbringing you had there, Evan.
218,278,419,500,533,558,617-620,710,718,970,981,1000,next:Hammersmith 2011-11-27

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:25 pm

skhmmi wrote:
Evan wrote:My parents live in Dublin. Two birds...
Quite the progressive family upbringing you had there, Evan.
Ah yes...well done...